Giraffe - Southbank Centre, London

Giraffe - Southbank Centre, London

International Restaurant - Address: Southbank Centre, Belvedere Rd, Lambeth, London SE1 8XX

Review of "Giraffe - Southbank Centre, London"

published 24/11/2016 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Pro good choice of breakfast, reasonable price, food was delicious
Cons got our order wrong, can get very busy
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"A Delicious Brekkie in London."

About
= = =
Me, my boyfriend and two friends recently visited London to go Ice Skating at the Natural History Museum but rather than going straight there after getting off the train at London Waterloo we decided to go and get some breakfast as we hadn’t eaten anything before getting the train to London that morning. We made our way towards the Riverside and Southbank Centre which has various café, bars and restaurants. They also had a small market here as well the day we went. After reading the menu outside Giraffe, we decided to go in there for something to eat as they had a good choice of different breakfasts on the menu. This particular restaurant is the biggest of Giraffe restaurants and has stunning views over the River Thames. They do a wide range of food in here and are open from around 8am until late in the evening.

Getting There
= = = = = = =
Giraffe is a short walk from London Waterloo station, London Eye and all the Southbank galleries and theatres.

Exterior
= = =
The exterior of the restaurant was nice and clean and there were various tables outside with condiments and cutlery already laid out. There were a few people sitting outside which surprised me as it was a chilly day; although I did notice various tall gas heaters around which would have kept the people sitting outside a little warmer. There is a menu on the stand just before you enter the exterior area so you can see the range of food they have to offer before entering the restaurant. There was a member of staff standing at a tall table and she asked how many of us there were and whether we wanted to sit inside or out. We definitely wanted to sit inside as it was far too cold for our liking to sit outside and eat breakfast. The member of staff told us to make our way into the restaurant and in a small mic she had attached to her jacket she told the staff member at the main desk in the restaurant how many were coming through.

Interior
= = =
As we entered the restaurant we could see how busy it was. Nearly every table was occupied and there was a collection of push-chairs and buggies on the right-hand side. We followed the member of staff to a table and she handed us a breakfast menu each and left us to look at the menu. There were plenty of tables inside the restaurant, which were various sizes and the restaurant seemed very busy. The atmosphere in the restaurant seemed very busy and I didn’t notice any music playing so all I could hear was the background noise of people chatting. It looked very clean inside and there were various different people in here including adults and families with younger children.The tables were laid out with cutlery and clean napkins and there were also a few condiments as well. Another member of staff came over and asked what drinks we wanted and whether we had decided what we wanted for breakfast yet, which we had so we gave her our order.

Breakfast Menu
= = = = = = = =
They have a very good breakfast menu with a range of different food to suit everyone.

• World Classics - Turkish Breakfast Mezze, Shakshouka, Ranch Steak & Eggs, Full Brunch (Fried), Veggie Brunch (Fried).
• New York Deli Sandwiches – Egg & Bacon Bagel, Scrambled Egg, Mushroom & Tomato Bagel, Smoked Salmon & Scrambled Egg Bagel, The Reuben.
• Pancake Stacks – The Classic, The Maple Bacon, The Blue Banana.
• Healthy Mornings – NY Granola, Avocado Smash, Porridge Bowl.
• Happy Brekkie – Breakfast & Hot Drink - £5.00 (Monday-Friday)

They have a large range of starters, main meals, desserts and they have a kid’s menu, lunch specials and an evening set menu. Seeing as we visited the restaurant for breakfast, we were only given breakfast menu’s but you can find their menus from their website which I have listed at the bottom of this review.

= = = =
Brekkie
= = = =
Our waitress came back with our drinks, a basket of condiments such as sauces and then she left us to chat and wait for our breakfast. The restaurant was still very busy and we could see that there was a queue starting to form at the main doors to the restaurant. There seemed to be a lot of members of staff around ensuring everyone was happy and being served in a good amount of time. I can’t remember exactly how long we were waiting for our breakfast but it did feel like quite a while. My boyfriend and his friends breakfast came out first. They ordered the Full Brunch which came with Bacon, Sausage, Baked Beans, Fried or Scrambled Eggs, home fries and Sour Dough Toast. Shortly after mine and our other friend’s meal came out. I ordered the Salmon and Scrambled Egg Bagel and she ordered the Scrambled Egg, Mushroom and Tomato Bagel. All the meals looked reasonably well presented apart from our friend whom had the full brunch. It looked as though everything had been chucked on his plate and then when he started to eat it, it was actually cold, whereas my boyfriends was hot. My friend’s bagel was also wrong so we called a member of staff over whom apologised and said they would cook it again. Another member of staff whom I assume was management asked what the problem was and we told him and he apologised to us and went to check on the breakfasts. Me and my boyfriend started to eat ours before it got cold and shortly after we had started to eat my friend’s bagel was served to her and this time it was correct. By the time our friends full brunch was replaced we were all half-way through our breakfast. The manager brought the breakfast over and again apologised and said that he would put one of the drinks (beer) that the guys had drank for free, which was kind of him. My bagel was actually very nice; the scrambled eggs were perfect and there was a good amount of salmon in the bagel as well. My boyfriend enjoyed his full brunch although the toast wasn’t very toasted and my friend enjoyed her bagel as well. After our friend, had finished his full brunch he said that it was well worth waiting for which was good. Shortly after finishing breakfast out plates were taken away and we asked for the bill. Shortly after paying we finished our drinks and then left the restaurant. As we were leaving the restaurant was very busy with the queue outside the door and more people arriving waiting to get a seat inside the restaurant.

Toilets
= = =
I didn’t visit the toilets here so I can’t comment on what they were like.

= =
Staff
= =
I have to say that all the members of staff that we interacted with were all polite and served us with a smile. They had a lot of staff in the restaurant although that’s probably because they were very busy. The staff are very efficient there and as soon as customers have left they wipe down the tables straight away and lay new cutlery on the table ready for the next customers. A few times we saw them moving tables together as well to seat larger groups of people. As they do this so quickly it means that the queue does go down quite quick and you don’t normally have to wait too long to be seated.

Overall Opinion
= = = = = = =
I have to say that I really enjoyed my breakfast in here and despite two of the breakfasts coming out wrong we all actually enjoyed it in the end. The food was actually very nice once they had got it right and we didn’t think it was too badly priced either, considering it was in London. Although the restaurant was busy the atmosphere was OK and we didn’t have to wait to be seated which was good. I think the choice of breakfast on the menu is very good and the food was cooked within a reasonable amount of time (so long as it’s not the wrong order). It was nice that we got an apology and one free drink for the wrong order and cold food coming to our table. We could see the River Thames from where we were sitting as we were located towards the back of the restaurant. There was a reasonable amount of space between the tables which was good as it meant we didn’t feel as though we were sitting on top of each other. For the four of us, our breakfast (no drinks) came to around £29.35 which I didn’t think was too bad. I know you could get that cheaper elsewhere in other pubs/restaurants but we were in London after all. Although the restaurant is big there isn't a great deal of room for push-chairs so I think they encourage you to leave this at the section by the main desk as you enter the restaurant. Despite there being a problem with the order I would definitely visit here again for breakfast and I would like to try some of their food from their main menu as well.

Other Information
Address: Giraffe, Unit 1 & 2, Riverside Level 1, London, SE1 8XX
Tel: 020 7042 6900
Website: www.giraffe.net

UNFORTUNATELY, I don’t have any pictures to go with this review.

• eve6kicksass published 28/11/2016
    Super review, even without pictures. Well done! :)
  • euphie published 27/11/2016