Glade Spiced Apple Candle

Glade Spiced Apple Candle

Type: Candle/Candle Holder - Candle

Review of "Glade Spiced Apple Candle"

published 09/02/2011 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Lovely glass jar which can be reused, great scent too
Cons Can be a bit expensivev

"Apple bobbing with a hint of festive spice"

Glade Spiced Apple scented candle

This is the second of these lovely little glass jars containing the scented candle from Glade that I have tried. They just sort of popped into my trolley as they were on special at £1.50 each. I do have a few candles I bought from Amazon (thanks Nar2 from Dooyoo) but I still thought these were worth trying as I do love my home to smell cosy and welcoming. I always think scented candles are more necessary in winter when the windows tend not to be open and we are inside more.

The candle is in a small rounded glass jar without a lid. The jar came with a cardboard outer but luckily you could still smell the candle as the cardboard outer didn’t cover the entire candle. I tried smelling them all and came away with this Spiced Apple fragrance and the previous one which was Honey and Chocolate which I was less impressed with.

The jar is a warm burgundy with a holly design around the jar on a shrink wrapped plastic darker at the top fading to cream at the bottom. The plastic decorating cover on the outside of the jar does look quite attractive and certainly wouldn’t look out of place in a sitting room or bedroom. If you are in to candles in the bathroom then it would look fine in there too.

The actual candle is weighs 120g. On the front of the cardboard outer is a picture of an bright red apple with a cinnamon stick the words “Spiced Apple”. I am also informed that the candle will last up to 30 hours but I think they are quite safe in claiming that as I cannot imagine anyone timing a candle bur but maybe I am wrong. I am not going to bother as I have far too many other things to do in my life!

I have had this candle since Christmas and it has been burning on and off for a number of days for about 4 hours at a time in quite a small room with the door closed as it is cold and we have the small radiator on rather than heating the entire house. Times are hard and we are also trying to do our bit for the planet! As we were all in the room with our little granddaughter playing with all her noisy toys.

This fragrance is much more noticeable than the previous Glade offering I bought. Glade candles are usually quite good I have found in the past and this was a good example as the smell was lightly spicy but fresh. I. When I held the candle unlit under my nose I could smell a a lovely sweet cinnamon smell with a hint of fruitiness. The room smelled comfortably sweet and slightly of cinnamon, a bit like a spicy fruit cake cooking in the oven.

How this candle is scented is not divulged on the pack but I am warned that
“Air fresheners do not replace good hygiene practices”.

So bummer I will have to continue cleaning the house and washing my clothes and having baths. What an amazing surprise. Who do they write these instructions for ? Or should I ask “Who thinks of this sort of rubbish to write on packs?” I am honestly almost struck dumb with amazement at things I read on some packs.

Anyway this candle is not full of natural essential oils and natural ingredients it does contain octabenzone, and 2-(4-tert-butybenzyl|) propionaldehyde. Now doesn’t that really tempt you? Apparently this may cause an allergic reaction. I am now wondering why I allowed this to jump into my trolley as it sounds more like a bomb than a scented candle.

Curiosity has got the better of me and I have discovered that octabenzone, is used to protect polymers against damage by UV light. Then the next ingredient propionaldehyde “is a colourless liquid with a slightly irritating, fruity odour”.

I would suggest that you could have this one burning before or after a meal as the smell is warming and festive but in my humble view would not interfere with the food, especially not the desert or pre dinner drinks part. l. I’m not sure how I feel about scented candles during a meal personally I don’t use them except before guests arrive but that is a matter of choice. I tend to save them for the relaxing area of the house to move into after you have enjoyed your meal.

I have used it to get rid of cooking smells and it does slowly freshen the stale cooking smell from my kitchen and replace it with a fruit spiced cake sort of aroma which is much more pleasant so I can say it works with aroma removal but slowly.

So in short I would recommend this candle for its air freshening and scented qualities and I am sure it lasted the full promised 30 hours. This candle was a vast improvement on the ‘Chocolate and honey’ scented one and Glade you have just about redeemed yourself with this one and I hope the other candles I have are as good as this otherwise I shall be very wary of Glade scented candles in future. Personally I prefer the Airwick Ribbon scented candles to these as the scent is much stronger, the jar more classy looking and the jar is much nicer and can re re-used or flowers etc after the candle has finished which I wouldn’t bother with these Glade jars.

Thanks for reading and hope this has been of some interest to you. This review may be posted on other sites under my same user name.