Glastonbury (England)

Glastonbury (England)

Review of "Glastonbury (England)"

published 07/01/2001 | dreamstar70
Member since : 03/01/2001
Pro Great Music, atmosphere, the mud, "return to nature" feeling
Cons crime, parking, queuing for everything
Headliners
Booze and nosh
Variety of music
Accessibility to various stages
Facilities (campsite, toilets, creche, etc.)

"They think its all over It is Now"

MY GOD, can't believe it!!!! Glastonbury 2001 is cancelled!!!!

I have to confess to being in a state of shock when it was announced on the news a couple of days ago that the farmer who owns the land for the concert, has decided not to hold the event this year due to safety reasons.

Apparently from the 200,000 visitors for Glas 2000 only half actually paid to get in. Asa consequence this farmer, along with the police & local council, have decided to scrap the entire event because of this.

Well, yes, I can understand his concern; and yes, he is right to put safety before profit (such a refreshing change these days). But have they really thought this one through without considering further options?

Is Glastonbury going to be dead for good, or just for this year? If its the latter then what's going to be different in 2002 that can't be done now!

Admittedly over the last few years that I've been going crime has stadily increased, so too has drug abuse along with people finding holes in fences and getting in free.

But at the same time the quality of the concerts have been brilliant, especially for last year, which for once was relatively mud free and quite civil lol.

But the whole purpose of Glas. is to chill out & unwind in your tent, eat a few deathburgers, wait ages in huge queues at the portoloos, drink watered down beer and get covered in mud as you sing to your favourite songs....now that's my idea of fun: relatively harmless but fun nonetheless.

And now we're going to have nothing this year: no more mud, no more deathburgers, no more rip-off beer:o( Yes, there are other festivals around the country but Glas is THE best by a long piece of chalk.

I hope there is still time to get the farmer & Co to change their minds or at least reassure us that 2002 remains an option. I don't really care if it means an increase in admission prices in order improve police security & safety: any diehard Glas. fan will willingly pay any reasonable price for a great weekend of entertainment.

Peace, Man :o)

• MissDirect published 25/03/2002
    A good opinion but I don't feel I can give it a VU , sorry :-)
  • Eddie45 published 13/07/2001
    I was there last year and unfortunately i was not surrpise that they cancelled it. I stood and watch about three to four hundred people just climb over the fence, the cap it off the security teams simply stood and watched because they were out numbered! However, there will br Glasto 2002 I am sure!
  • LostWitness published 08/01/2001
    I understand your disappointment, but I think the organisers were under great pressure, following the deaths at the European concert last year.

Product Information : Glastonbury (England)

Listed on Ciao since: 29/06/2000