Gloucester Services M5, Brookthorpe

Review of "Gloucester Services M5, Brookthorpe"

published 12/11/2017 | LiveMusicLoverLyn
Member since : 23/03/2014
“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention” Thanks for all the reads, rates, appreciated esp E rates, every E I give is well deserved.
Pro Clean, dog wallk area, level walking, good signage and surface
Cons Prices
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"~ Well Worth a Stop ~ Gloucester M5 ~"

Gloucester Services M5

On a recent trip to Anglesey, we decided that rather than take packed lunches with us that we would stop at a services and buy some refreshments. Armed with the route in mind I checked reviews for services on our route and discovered that our esteemed reviewer Richada has given this location a 5 star rating and so our plans were set and here is my review of our experience two years later:

Getting There:

Gloucestershire
GL4 0DN
Telephone:
01452 813254

Accessible only via the M5 between junctions 11a and 12 and close to Gloucester, being on the part of the motorway that goes around Gloucester. These services offer a twin system whereby there is a service station on both North and West bound sides of the motorway. We visited the North bound side and found it very well signed on approach and thoughtfully landscaped once you are there.

If you are travelling on the M5 between Bristol and Birmingham this is a highly convenient place to stop.

First Impressions:

On approach and when you come of the motorway there is nothing really to distinguish this service area from any other, the motorway signage is the same, the slip road is the same, although careful scrutiny of the signage shows that some of the signs state there is also a farm shop at the location.

It is only when the standard motorway slip road ends that you realise this is a cut above many other service areas. The tarmac is smooth, the signage is good, logical and easy to follow and as we were towing a large trailer we parked in the caravan area, which is slightly separate to the car parking area, but serviced by a lovely smooth tarmac pavement, good rubbish bins and very well marked out and logical large bays. The whole area is carefully landscaped and thoughtfully laid out.

The External Area:

Externally, we had a chance to have a really good look, visiting on a sunny day in late October at the weekend, we did probably see the area at its best. The busy holiday season was over and the business traffic was not about. The area was noticeably clean, tidy and well cared for the services benefit from a sign posted dog walk area, which is really helpful for many travellers in order to give our canine friends a safe leg stretch and comfort break. The area we parked in for those towing caravans was set on the edge of the parking and therefore we walked along the dog walk towards the car and coach parking to get to the services building. Absolutely everything I saw outside was well maintained and clean. The pedestrian area outside the services is large and easily accommodates the coach parties that are dropped down there for a short break. Central and most convenient for the services building is the main car parking and this incorporated a generous amount of disabled parking nice and close to the entrance and all the access from the car park was on level good quality ground. The car park looked well spaced out with a good number of spaces that look to be of a sensible size to suit today’s larger vehicles.

Beyond the centrally placed car park area is the HGV area and I could see that this again was well laid out with level access to the building and I notice that they have overnight parking for £23.00 which includes free hot showers and toilets and a £5.00 voucher to spend in the shops or cafe.

The actual building is a large hobbit house, the structure is encased with block work and the gently curving roof is planted with grass and with the centrally located large glass opening the building sits well in the carefully landscaped area of gentle rolling grass banks and has obviously being thoughtfully designed.

The Services Area:

The building is accessed by a large smoked glass frontage with easy to use swing doors and leads into a large concourse area, to the left is the farm shop, straight ahead is the cafe with the toilets to the right of that and to the left is the take a way coffee and basic snacks area.

Toilets:

Toilets are toilets right? Wrong, these ones are going for the loo of the year award, I was surprised to see a male cleaner in the ladies area, but he was doing a fantastic job checking all the cubicles on a regular basis and keeping everything clean. My husband advised me that the gents were also clean and sweet smelling and that therefore this is a service area he will be happy to use again. The toilets were well signed and well appointed and most importantly in a good state of repair and clean.

Farm Shop:

I’m a sucker for a farm shop, although alas, they seem to have mainly become too mainstream and commercialised for my liking with farmers selling a vast selection of bought in packaged goods and this is no exception. On the day that I went the strategically placed rustic boxes that I’d expect to be used to hold fresh produce were all empty. The first things I perused were gift items, lots of them, mostly good quality and at high prices. Moving on around the shop, I soon noticed that although the transport costs must be minimal due to the motorway location that the prices were generally loaded and with very few exceptions everything was more expensive here than it would be elsewhere. I did make a few purchases though a small carrot cake that was half price as the date was its best before date and even at half price this was £2.49 for the small sized loaf shaped cake. However, it was delicious, packed with fruit and carrot, tasty topping and really worth the price I paid, but I’d have not been over the moon at paying full price, although it was very good. For our lunch I bought a pack of two luxury sausage.rolls. I also bought a jar honey, because the price seemed average and it was worth a try. As well as the gifts, the shop also has a small clothing section of high end clothes and things like fancy wellington boots. There is a deli counter featuring a large cheese counter and a butchery counter as well. The shop although packed full of lots of different things was not really very farm shop like to me, more a luxury convenience store.

Cafe:

We did not use the cafe facility, although I had a quick look and they were serving lunches, snacks and hot and cold drinks. Because we had dogs with us, we specifically wanted to eat in the vehicle on this occasion so used the take out facility instead of the cafe. The area looked bright and clean with appetising food on display.

Coffee on the Go and More:

Because we took it in turns to stay with the dogs after I’d taken them for a quick walk, I then opted to explore the farm shop and use the take out are for the things that I could not buy from the farm shop, namely mugs of tea. The queue was long, but the area was fully staffed and I suspect the queue is much longer at peak times. The tea was served in large card take out cups with plastic lids, pretty standard stuff, but good quality tea served with real fresh milk. On display and to help yourself to as you waited was a very tempting selection of cakes and biscuits, but the prices were ridiculous, but I did end up buying a packet of Tyrrells crisps for £2.00 being probably the cheapest option.

Obviously, they were also selling coffee, hot chocolate and cold drinks as well as cups of soup.

Family:

I did not see anything laid on especially for children.

Fuel Area:

We did not use the fuel area, but it is well signed if you want to.

There is free electric charging and air.

Leaving:

Leaving the site too, was straightforward and easy, with good road markings and smooth surfaced tarmac.

~*~

Conclusion:

This is a nice service area, it does not provide the usual chain outlets and that makes it special in my opinion. The level of cleanliness and attention to detail is apparent and the only thing that lets it down is the high prices. I suspect it does get very busy in the summer holiday season and at peak times. Wherever possible the food is locally sourced. We’d go again and I’m happy to recommend.

Stars:

5/5 it would be mean to give any less.

Thanks for reading