Review of "Goblin Rio"

published 23/10/2001 | blurbubble
Member since : 14/07/2000
Pro Long life, budget price
Cons A few problems, hard to get dustbags and accesories.
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"GOODBYE TO THE LITTLE GOBLIN"

Well, it’s the end of a ten year relationship albeit it a very offhand one! No this isn’t “Member Advice on Break Ups”, it’s an opinion to give you a view of the lifetime of my vacuum cleaner which has just gone to heaven (i.e. the dustbin).

I bought a Goblin Rio Reflex 1000 approximately 10 years ago when cleaning duties had been sadly neglected and my shared flat needed a damn good going through with a vacuum cleaner. Not being the houseproud or domestic type (cough) then (or even now to be frank) I don’t like to spend a lot of money on such items when I am not the daily usage type.

So at the time I had a good scour around all electrical outlets and through catalogues and decided up the Goblin Rio which was within my price range and appeared to be a good size and design for my needs. At the time it cost around £45 and, looking at today’s models, prices have obviously come down as it still appears to be within this sort of price range albeit a slightly different, updated model nowadays.

The beast arrived – made in hard white plastic with a hose and several attachments for cleaning awkward places such as a crevice tool and circular brush. 1000watt motor, single filter and needing dust bags (it came with a couple of spares). A cylinder cleaner which at the time I thought was quite light and easy to use however these days it would probably be not be considered as such. It also had an automatic rewind for the generously long cable and a small compartment which you could insert special air fresheners into to avoid that hot dusty smell while vacuuming.

To be honest, I never got the air freshener facility to work satisfactory and, like the replacement dust bags, they were very hard to find in electrical and such like shops. Indeed, whenever I needed a new supply of bags, replacement filters or air fresheners I generally had to contact Goblin direct and have them sent to me which was very inconvenient (and quite expensive too).

On the whole it was a very efficient cleaner coping with cat litter and fur very impressively without too much hard work although the bag capacity could have been larger. This model was easy to empty although getting new bags in required a little skill, they could slip out of the special slot quite easily which disabled the suction and resulted in waste accumulating elsewhere in the cleaner which was annoying.

The automatic cable rewind gave up on life some years before the cleaner itself, the spring went and despite some maintenance attempts it never worked again and so the cable had to be stored outside the cleaner. The “bag full” indicator never seemed to work either although that never really bothered me as the general loss of suction was a fair indication of this anyway.

So, to summarise, as my first vacuum cleaner and semi-major household appliance purchase, the Goblin Rio did serve me well over the course of about 10 years although our last couple of years together were a little troublesome. For a budget model (the cleaner not me) I think we did rather well to last so long together.

• morgjgriff published 01/06/2004
    This op brought back some memories. We had this model too, after a few years punishment, the motor started getting SO hot it melted the case. One day, whilst I was vacuuming my bedroom, it went POP and I ended up with a scorched hand! lol Great op! Ciao for now - J
  • pink_champagne published 08/06/2003
    I also had a goblin rio, but mine was red, and I found that the goblin aztec bags fitted just as well.
  • Ariel published 24/10/2001
    Long hair and cats - the ultimate tests of a vacuum cleaner ;) Grand op.