Goddards Silver Dip Cleans Silver Fast

Goddards Silver Dip Cleans Silver Fast

Furniture Polish/Cleaning

Review of "Goddards Silver Dip Cleans Silver Fast"

published 25/04/2012 | Calla76
Member since : 14/07/2010
Thank you for all the reads and rates!
Pro Cleans silver jewellery a treat, good price
Cons Smells a bit
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Shine like a silver star!"

Silver junkie

I wear a lot of silver jewellery and I also make items from time to time so a good silver jewellery cleaner is a real essential item for me. And I have been using this particular product for many, many years, which I guess gives you an idea that I am a fan!

This silver dip comes in a jar, similar to a large jam jar, and you can see the clear thick liquid inside. The jar has a simple blue label with a shiny silver crown, and a white screwtop lid. It has quite an old-fashioned look to it in some ways. A 265ml jar costs around the £3 mark and you should be able to find it in the cleaning section of larger supermarkets as well as online.

As well as cleaning jewellery you can also use this to clean other small silver items such as cutlery and so on.

A bit of a pong

Firstly a warning – this stuff stinks. It has a somewhat sulphury smell and it is really unpleasant. However I have learned to live with this and can quite happily ignore it now as I know that it will work a treat on my jewellery! If you really can't stand strong smells this may be a problem ... but try and perservere with it as it is worth it, I promise!

Cleaning sesh

Like I say I have loads of silver jewellery, so every now and then I have a big polishing session! As the name of the product suggests, this is designed so that you simply dip items into the jar, leave them for a few minutes before removing, rinsing in water and drying off. Now obviously you can't go throwing silver rings into the jar as you'll never get them out, so what I do is thread rings onto a silver necklace and dunk this in (using a pencil or pen across the top of the jar to stop the chain falling in). Leave everything in the jar for a minute or two - I'll even give the necklace a spin half way through so it gets an even clean too! I have a small tub of clean water on the side so the jewellery then goes straight into the water and gets a quick swish about before I rub the items dry on some kitchen towel or cloth.

You can also pour a small amount of the cleaner into another receptacle that is easier to dip the jewellery into – I always use an old plastic container that I am happy to chuck away afterwards! And for larger items you can dip some cotton wool or a cloth into the fluid and rub over the tarnished item.

And the results?

So a simple dip and a rub later and I find this leaves my silver jewellery looking as good as new and tarnish free. It requires minimum effort - in fact the worst part of the process is tolerating the smell of the solution! And also as I have such a lot of stuff it can be time-consuming for me to clean all my jewellery this way, but it is well worth it as the results are excellent.

As well as solid silver items, this also works well on silver plated items – and on lots of items I have that are made from silver-coloured metal but are not real silver. And not only does it remove unsightly tarnishes – it gives silver a nice shine too. I couldn't possibly ask for anything more!

New life

I love this product as it really does the job with my jewellery and breathes new life into items that are starting to discolour and look grubby, which silver jewellery does have a tendency to do. I find a jar of this lasts forever and I only throw it away once the fluid starts to look a bit murky. I will always have a jar of this on the go and I would actually happily pay double for it as it works so well, and lasts such a long time. And of course it makes my jewellery look lovely and sparkly!

Watch out...

A word of warning – you do need to be careful with items with stones in as this fluid may damage some stones. However I should say that I am a bit lax with things like this and I haven't yet (fingers crossed) had any problems – but I would definitely avoid putting any precious items into the fluid.

• mozzie76 published 25/04/2012