Golden Balls (Wii)

Review of "Golden Balls (Wii)"

published 20/02/2016 | jb0077
Member since : 25/06/2014
Good
Pro Great presentation, Jasper's voice is used, easy to play.
Cons No extra features, only supports two players.
Gameplay/Playability
Graphics
Sound
Difficulty & Complexity

"Golden Balls on Wii is okay."

Golden Balls (Wii)

A game show that sounds like the name of an Austin Powers baddie but as we all know this was the title of one of the nastiest television shows that has ever been made, but of course it was not really the show that was nasty but rather the people competing on it, I never actually watched the show very often but I did catch the occasional episode and watching the game show play out is how I know how evil the contestants can be as they bluff their way to the final two but this game is much more predictable than the actions of a real person and it kind of falls flat overall.

My Purchase.

Well I bought Golden Balls for just £2.33 online on a shop looking for cheap Wii games and this game was listed as in very good condition and the seller was one I have dealt with on multiple occasions, so sure enough a few days later this game arrived and was as described and so I was pleased.

How Does Golden Balls Work?

This game follows the television show right down the line, but putting this game in comparison with say The Weakest Link game on PlayStation 2 and also the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire even further back on the first PlayStation I would say they really make you feel as if you are playing the game. Golden Balls however, well it does not quite fall under the same banner really I mean it is a game show but because there are no questions in this game only actions to perform it is unlike the others.

When starting out a in a new game you are required to create a profile which is a very simple affair, you must choose an avatar character to play the game as from the selection available to you and each one you see has a specific occupation and so you have career people like the bank manager, policeman, chef and estate agent but also more casual people like a rock star and a charity worker and even a fast food worker and a beautician just to name a few. I picked the charity worker right away because I knew that stealing later on would surely work because after all my character is a little old lady with glasses and those curlers in her grey hair, aww I know paints a nice trustful picture and sure enough I did steal the jackpot later on but we shall get to that.

So once you have created your profile you are free to begin a new game and since there is only one game mode to play you can just go ahead and play the game, when you first begin the game you get the actual title sequence that you see on the telly (it can be skipped as can all explanation areas and introductions) then you see the real Jasper Carrot who tells you a tiny bit about the game (sort of like a getting you ready piece) and then he makes his avatar appear and in unison they introduce the start of the game and then you see who you are playing against (and I say against because you are never on anyone's side in this game).

Round 1 Four Players In Who Will Walk.

Jasper tells us that there are one hundred golden balls in the ball machine and we are all getting four and the prizes inside the golden balls range from £10 up to £75,000 (none too shabby) and so after the draw we first see what everyone has showing, that means from the four golden balls there are two at the front which are open and everyone can see what these are worth and two at the back that only the player gets to see. At this point you get to see all of you golden balls values and you can decide to bluff by selecting the option bluff 1, 2 and 3 or if you think the amounts are good enough you can opt to tell the truth.

Once you have had your go at the truth or bluff you can then go and see what each player has at the front, you of course only see two amounts and therefore have to judge if they are reliable, you can get a response from them but I found that more often than not the balls give them away. In my last game it was the beautician in this round that had £40 and a killer on display and suffice to say when the time came to vote on the player that gets booted it was her that got the punt with three votes and so it was time to move on with the booted player binning their golden balls and the rest going back into the machine.

Round 2, One Away Three Still In Play.
So one player down and now there are three and we each have five golden balls but this time there are still two that everyone can see at the front and now three at the back that only the player can see, well this round plays out exactly like the previous one and if you are lucky you will see who to boot right from the start. In my game all my golden balls had cash and so I totally went for the truth approach and the obvious boot was the estate agent sitting on £400 and a killer and me and the other COM player obviously though the same thing and on that vote he went, well it was a cracking decisions as he had three killers in total bah he told me that lady luck was still with him as he had the £10,000, bull what he had did not even go over that amount but by booting him me and the professor managed to take only cash into the final.

The Final Round, Winner Take All or Nothing.
Technically the heading here is true as the true winner in this game is the one who manages to take the full jackpot but you can be nice if you want to be of course and split but you have no idea what they are going to do (well almost), anyway before the round begins we are shown all the cash amounts that are going to be in the final set of balls and good old Jasper adds a killer ball just to make things more interesting but it is not the end of the day if you pick one even though getting one at the wrong time will halve the cash total at that point. You can get lucky and pick the killer at the start and then it will only have taken a space from the final five that makes up your jackpot total, the first choice to be made is to pick a ball to bin and then one to win and you and your fellow contestant will take turns choosing a bin ball and a win ball in each turn until all the balls have been selected. As you do this each ball is revealed so you can see if it was a good choice or a bad one regardless if the ball is a bin or a win, all the win balls go into the five slots to make up the jackpot total and once the balls have all been selected the jackpot is tallied up to give you your final total.

Split or Steal.

Well what the whole game comes down to is two final golden balls just as in the show like the rest of this game has been by the way, you must now go head to head with the other player as you now both have a final choice to make and this is where you get to be nasty. Both players now have just two golden balls and here one says split and one says steal, if you both choose split then you split the jackpot and everyone is a happy camper, if one of you chooses split and one chooses steal then the steal player gets all the cash and the poor split player leaves empty handed, but if both players choose to steal then nobody gets anything and so the question is split or steal.

Other Features In Golden Balls.

Well there are very few features in this game at all, you have the two player option of course which just means you are going through the game with another real person and that could become very interesting at the end, in options you have the tutorial on/off but I think that means less chit chat in game really, you can create a new profile here, set the volume and you can view the credits. The final main menu option is the leaderboard and here is where you will see the top seven earners in the game, in other words every win you gain means more cash gets added to your score total and that is that there are no other features to the game.

Playing Golden Balls.

Playing this game is not that difficult obviously as the whole way through you are simply pointing and clicking with the Wii remote, you have limited options as the game plays out but in the truth or bluff section you will see the bluff golden balls totals should you wish to tell porkie pies to achieve the final rounds but when you do this the COM won't trust you in the final and the more you fib the less you are trusted. When it does come to voting in each round you can select each player and you will get a quick one liner text from them saying any selected phrase, some might be honest and tell you they have a killer and others may lie and claim to have a high value golden ball and to be honest it can sometimes be tricky to tell if they are telling the truth but a lot of their bluffs can be easily sniffed out as the more you play the game the easier they become to spot. When it comes to the split or steal final it seems to be a bit of a gamble but the COM is definitely more likely to steal if you lied during the other rounds to get there, should you win the day then your winnings add to your overall total in the leaderboard and you can weep as the cash just keeps going up wishing it was real.

Graphics and Presentation.

Well in my opinion the game won't win any awards for the graphics overall but they have at least gone to the trouble of putting avatars in the game and it works well enough even if the do look a little silly (but I guess that is the point here), the presentation on the other hand is like whoa there not too shabby at all. Yes they have done a pretty good job in this are as when the game begins you get the same title sequence that was used on the show, there is actual footage of the real ball machine and how the golden balls are distributed to the players which is all very nicely done and Jasper's voice is used throughout the game even though he won't mention specific cash totals but he will say things like the jackpot is over ten thousand pounds if it is sitting at any number between ten and fifteen thousand. Some of the presentation is a little tacky though especially as we switch from the actual footage to the plain less detailed game areas and the scrolling text is a little pointless I think subtitles would have been a better option but all in all the game looks decent enough.

My Final Verdict on Golden Balls.

Well what can I say here? Hmm... well some games based on television shows work well and some do not and in my opinion this one ebbs on the side of the does not quite work, the game is not all the way in that category mind but certainly right near the edge. I believe the problem is that there is little sense of accomplishment as there are no questions to answer just players to bluff plus given that this is a two player only game maximum, you kind of wonder why only two when there are four players on screen and the only conclusion I could figure was because only two players make it to the head to head and the developer figured that people would maybe hurt one anothers feelings or something by voting them out early and to me well that is just silly.

I think the game would have benefited from being a four player title even if two get booted out I figure that is just part of the fun annoying your friends and family by voting real people out even if it was just to wind them up, then there is the fact that if you skip most of the chit chat through each round (because you can) then a typical game takes about five minutes and most of that is in the final round when you are waiting for the COM player to pick their bin and win golden balls, still I will say that the game is a decent representation of the game show it is based on and if you are heavily into game show based video games then you are covered here as the game plays out just like what you see on the telly. I give this game three stars and I would recommend if either you want to wind family and friends up in the two player mode or as I mentioned before if you really love the games based on popular television shows.

• duffatron published 15/03/2016
    vh
  • Secre published 01/03/2016
    Not one to bother with.
  • VampirePrincessLizzy published 23/02/2016
    Not for me, but super review

Product Information : Golden Balls (Wii)

Bluff your opponents through four rounds to win the five golden balls with a maximum amount of cash! Each victory improves player's rank and unlocks increasingly competent liars and manipulators for a renewed and gradual challenge. Each competitor - player and opponents - have a Trustworthy Gauge: this bluff-o-meter fluctuates after each round. Starting with a base fund of '200 000 the minimum amount increases each time the player wins.

Publisher: Mindscape

Release Date: November 2008

Age: 3+

Genre: Party/Board Game; Kids/Family

Max Number of Players: 4 Player

Platform: Wii

Format: Wii Disc

Listed on Ciao since: 29/10/2008

Golden Balls (Wii) - Review - Golden Balls on Wii is okay.

jb0077 3

jb0077

About me: It has been fun all the reads and rates I have received were highly appreciated thank you.

Member since:25.06.2014

Golden Balls on Wii is okay.

20.02.2016

Advantages:
Great presentation, Jasper's voice is used, easy to play .

Disadvantages:
No extra features, only supports two players .

Gameplay/Playability

1. duffatron
  2. Secre
  3. Ailran

My Purchase.

Well I bought Golden Balls for just 2.33 online on a shop looking for cheap Wii games and this game was listed as in very good condition and the seller was one I have dealt with on multiple occasions, so sure enough a few days later this game arrived and was as described and so I was pleased.

How Does Golden Balls Work?

Round 1 Four Players In Who Will Walk.

Jasper tells us that there are one hundred golden balls in the ball machine and we are all getting four and the prizes inside the golden balls range from 10 up to 75,000 (none too shabby) and so after the draw we first see what everyone has showing, that means from the four golden balls there are two at the front which are open and everyone can see what these are worth and two at the back that only the player gets to see. At this point you get to see all of you golden balls values and you can decide to bluff by selecting the option bluff 1, 2 and 3 or if you think the amounts are good enough you can opt to tell the truth.

Once you have had your go at the truth or bluff you can then go and see what each player has at the front, you of course only see two amounts and therefore have to judge if they are reliable, you can get a response from them but I found that more often than not the balls give them away. In my last game it was the beautician in this round that had 40 and a killer on display and suffice to say when the time came to vote on the player that gets booted it was her that got the punt with three votes and so it was time to move on with the booted player binning their golden balls and the rest going back into the machine.

Round 2, One Away Three Still In Play.
So one player down and now there are three and we each have five golden balls but this time there are still two that everyone can see at the front and now three at the back that only the player can see, well this round plays out exactly like the previous one and if you are lucky you will see who to boot right from the start. In my game all my golden balls had cash and so I totally went for the truth approach and the obvious boot was the estate agent sitting on 400 and a killer and me and the other COM player obviously though the same thing and on that vote he went, well it was a cracking decisions as he had three killers in total bah he told me that lady luck was still with him as he had the 10,000, bull what he had did not even go over that amount but by booting him me and the professor managed to take only cash into the final.

The Final Round, Winner Take All or Nothing.

Split or Steal.

Other Features In Golden Balls.

Playing Golden Balls.

Pictures of Golden Balls (Wii)
Golden Balls (Wii) a contestant - Golden Balls (Wii)

Graphics and Presentation.

My Final Verdict on Golden Balls.

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

duffatron 15.03.2016 20:19