Review of "Golden Retriever"

published 08/09/2004 | deehambley25
Member since : 31/08/2004
Pro Lovable, playful, loyal, great with kids
Cons definately the hair oh and digging!!!

"Never ever buy a blue carpet !!!"

In my defence the carpet came before the dog and although i have to hoover on a daily basis sometimes i get to go 2 days without having to hoover!
I have 3 cats who were here first and a 9 year old boy all of whom have adapted to Reggie very well and in turn he has to them! He does chase them but as a game he has never hurt them he just wags his tail and off they go down the garden at full speed it is the funniest thing to watch!
He is such a loving dog he always looks as if he is smiling and he loves to play.
We got him from a breeder and he is registered as a pedigree but unfortunately he does have hip displacia which retrievers are apparently prone to, we did tell the breeder and she was most upset as it was the first case she allegedly had had, but as she wasn't breeding again from the same dogs it won't be a problem in the future i hope for more litters. It doesn't seem to affect him now but maybe in his later years it will. I look at it that we were given him as a gift because if she had known he would have been put down (she told me this) when he was born. It means he is limited to the amount of daily walking and exercise but have you ever tried to stop a retriever from running and jumping around?! especially one that in his head he is still a puppy?!
The good factors of Reggie is he is loving, happy, great with the kids and the new baby, I was worried he may be a little jealous but he has just accepted her as if she was always there (he keeps trying to give her his squeaky toy!), she gives him the biggest smile!
They have very soft mouths, apparently its why they're used as gun dogs as they won't damage the 'catch' we experimented and even though he was never trained to do it we gave him a raw egg to carry and he did without so much as a crack he didn't even drop it! He is one of the family not just a dog!
The disadvantages of Reggie is mainly the hair and although i am told they are very trainable ours seems to have fallen thru that into a big loop hole! He will give left paw and right paw (for treats usually), he will even do 'high fives' he will sit, he won't lay down unless he wants his belly rubbed, and if you walk him he pulls like mad, he is better off the lead but then when he sees someone he wants to play with or say hello to he will just run off he won't come back until he is ready not even for food we have tried! And if you have ever wanted the model back garden like on the tv programmes forget it ours looks more like baghdad at the moment he loves to dig! You also have to watch the wagging tail which rarely stops and always knocks everything flying! his whole bum wags with the tail.
But everyone loves reggie he gets so much fuss and love from everyone who lives near us and when he plays his houdini trick and escapes thru yet another escape hatch he has dug in the garden people just laugh and bring him home again tail wagging big grin on his face!
I am sorry you just can't be angry for long they are beautiful, friendly and loyal family dogs and i wouldn't change him for the world!!

• karenes published 01/10/2004
    He sounds lovely! I'd love to get a dog again but it'd be locked up all day which isn't fair. A lot of pedigrees have problems like that. My mum has a west highland terrier who has terrible eczema. I wince everytime I see him! K x
  • MAFARRIMOND published 08/09/2004
    A beautiful dog. Maureen
  • Minha published 08/09/2004
    I NEARLY had a 'goldie' a few years back - but finished up with border collies! (AND six cats!). If he does have trouble with his hip - try a Bioflow collar. Hazel xx

Product Information : Golden Retriever