Gordon In Trouble - Egmont Childrens Books

Gordon In Trouble - Egmont Childrens Books

Review of "Gordon In Trouble - Egmont Childrens Books"

published 05/12/2011 | angelboouk123
Member since : 01/06/2010
Busy working Mum to two boys and married to the love of my life <3
Pro sturdy book, nice illustrations, good story, price
Cons n.a
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"Gordon In A Huff..."

Gordon In Trouble by Egmont Childrens Books - based on series by The Rev W Awdry.

Publishing in 2009 by Dean and Son
ISBN 978-0603564024
16pages
Can be bought new from 1p on Amazon UK.

Gordon In Trouble is part of the Thomas and Friends collection. The book is a board book and measures 14.8 x 14.8 x 1.2cm. Gordon is the serious, grumpy engine from Sodor who pulls the express carriages. This book is based around Gordon and also features James and the Fat Controller.

The official book blurb as taken from the back of the book :

"Gordon thinks he's too important to wash, but The Fat Controller tells him he is too muddy to pull the express. What will Gordon do?"

Our Thoughts

We have a large number of Thomas and Friends books in our home including the newer style and the older style books. Our local Poundworld regularly has new board books in stock and my son picked this one up a few months ago with some money he had. £1.00 is a fair price to pay in my opinion and it joined his growing collection.

The book is a nice size and would be ideal for a toddler to read whilst sitting in their buggy or waiting for tea in a restaurant. It is quite thick and the board pages and fairly strong. The book can be recognised by Gordon looking rather grumpy (what's new?). Each page features a rectangular frame with a picture scene inside and 2-3 lines of fairly small writing underneath. My son cannot read himself yet as he is only 3 but we can read this together and he is remember what is happening and repeating it to me.

This particular book is based around one of the episodes of Thomas and Friends and we recognised this as we have that episode on DVD! It is one of Boos favourites so he really enjoys reading this book with me. It isn't the brightest of books but looks realistic and rather traditional. The images are clear and capture the engines and surroundings the way we would expect them to be on the television.

This book is easy to flick through and I have become a dab hand at putting on the grumpy voice of Gordon (and the fat controller too). The story is easy to understand is fairly basic. Gordon isn't happy about being covered in mud but decides he will chance his luck and head to the station for his duties. He is turned down and James is asked to take over. Of course Gordon isn't happy - the express is HIS job and no one elses.

It is the typical "if I can't do it, then no one else can" type scenario and he goes in a strop. A lot of children (and adults) can relate to this type of thing. Cheeky James isn't up to the task in hand and needs Gordons help. Will Gordon put his stubborness aside and help James? Well you need to read it and find out! Friendship and working as a team feature in this book as does bad behaviour (as the title of the book would suggest). It is a mixed bag and one my son enjoys reading and actually says "oh naughty Gordon" when reading it. He can make up stories from the pictures as well but likes Mummy putting on the funny voices and can tell this a more serious than fun book.
Conclusion

Both myself and son would recommend "Gordon In Trouble". It is a book which shows than not everything is happy happy on Sodor and is something different. It is sturdy and hasn't suffered any dents from being carted about and shoved in his drawer after reading.

It is well worth the money and is an excellent book to add to a Thomas and Friends collection.

Thanks for reading :)

• Coloneljohn published 10/12/2011
    Nice one. John
  • tallulahbang published 07/12/2011
    It never ceases to amaze me how much nearly all children love Thomas the Tank Engine and friends. xx
  • catsholiday published 05/12/2011
    My son used to a Thomas fan and I remember reading all-these books!