Home > Ciao Café > Sport > Martial Arts > Goshinkwai Ju Jitsu > Reviews

MARKMAN 5

MARKMAN

Member since:06.02.2001

Goshinkwai - a real defence system

09.02.2001

Advantages:
Fully rounded system; encompasses all aspects of martial arts

Disadvantages:
not for the faint hearted

5 Ciao members have rated this review on average: helpful See ratings
  1. WhiteWitch
  1. roxy_leigh
  2. broksababe
  3. earningstuff
not helpful by (13%):
  1. Jimstar

Time to give my little past-time a push. For the last four and a half years I have been a student of Goshinkwai, a street fighting style of ju jitsu, aimed purely at self defence. The system is not,I repeat NOT a competitive sport, there are no fancy poses, no spinning back kicks, back flips etc., it is a get down and dirty system based on winning any confrontation in the first 10 seconds. To do so we are taught to use any part of our body or anything from the surrounding area.

Goshinkwai, as a living breathing system, incorporates striking, punching, throwing etc. It teaches full mental awareness of your surroundings, how to read situations, and more importantly how to avoid confrontation. Confrontation should be the VERY LAST thing on your mind, and only used as a last resort.

Martial arts in general are a great way of keeping fit, and learning life lessons, to enable you to protect yourself that little bit better.

Taking on any kind of martial art is like buying clothes - try before you buy - Goshinkwai is for me, but it may not be for everybody.

The head of Goshinkwai, Dave Turton, regularly writes in Martial Arts Illustrated, and has taught the system to such people as Geoff Thompson, Jamie O'Keefe, Pete Consterdine, Phil Glover and Alan Charlton to name but a few.

A lot of people come to the system to "fill the gaps" that their particular systems leave.

Dave is also the head of the Self Defence Federation, an federation which is growing exponentially around the country.

I am based at the head club in Rotherham, and we also have a Goshinkwai school in Batley.

Anyone interested in having a look further should either check out the website http://www.scoozi.co.uk/sdf/ or contact me and I will pass your details onto Dave Turton.

« Previous review

Write your own review Report a problem with this review’s content

WhiteWitch 09.02.2001 17:52

I liked this opinion and found it very helpful but I used to do karate and so probably do not need as much explaining as people who are newly coming to martial arts. This seems to be a very interesting system and I like the idea that you try to avoid confrontation first. This point is often under-emphasised. However tough you are, if you get into fights you will get hurt. The aim is not to.

MARKMAN 09.02.2001 17:28

Agreed Diane, this was my second op, but it didn't get posted until today - as it is a new subject. I have now added more details.

Diane22025 09.02.2001 17:24

Hi this op needed a little more detail..I really dont know anything abount Ju Jitsu..is it for children..what is required..is it expensive and so on..let me know if you edit..Diane