Graco Pack 'n' Play Compact

Graco Pack 'n' Play Compact

Review of "Graco Pack 'n' Play Compact"

published 26/03/2001 | sue26
Member since : 24/03/2001
Pro Very roomy
Cons Outer cover can`t be removed for washing.

"Chids play UPDATED"

I bought this travel cot for my third child as she quickly outgrew the normal wooden cot, and I haven`t the space for another bed. It is so easy to put up, even my 6 and 3 year old can do it. The mattress is well padded and when stored away is wrapped around the playpen and secured by velcro tabs.

To put up the playpen you just remove the mattress, push down on the centre piece of the cot and pull up the sides until they click in place. To store it away you just do everything in reverse.

I keep mine out permanently in the living room, as I use it as a cot at night and a playpen during the day. I find it a lot better than a wooden cot because it has mesh sides, so your baby doesn`t bang their head, also it is twice the size, so your baby has a lot of room to move around. This can be a down side if you don`t have a lot of space downstairs.

The sides are also quite high, so it will be quite a while before they will be able to climb out of it.

A big disadvantage is that the covers aren`t removable so when it starts to ged dirty you need to scrub it with a scrubbing brush and it can take a while to dry.

The other disadvantage is that because it doesn`t have bars you can`t attach a cot mobile or other baby toys to it. I got round this by cutting two slots near the top so I could attach her favourite activity centre.

To make it a bit comfier at night, I put a folded single quilt over the top of the mattress for her to lie on then cover her with a normal baby blanket. The cot itself isn`t very colourful. It is pale blue with pastel coloured shapes all over it, but as I use it mainly for sleep this has a calming influence.

This is the best buy I have ever made as it will be used for at least two years, and only cost £10 from a car boot sale.

It`s now a few months since I first wrote this opinion so I`ve just added a few more little details. The cot is still going strong and although it isn`t being used as a playpen anymore, it is still used for sleeping in on a nightly basis. It was starting to look a bit scruffy, but has scrubbed back up quite nicely. The mesh sides are also fully intact with no rips in them, this is quite surprising as I`ve been told that this is normally the first thing that goes on a travel cot.

This review was read 2099 times and was rated at

• KarenUK published 16/10/2001
    VH opinion, but you might wish to correct the typing error in the title.
  • kazziebears published 17/07/2001
    Good idea! I was told that I slept in the bottom drawer of a chest of drawers for the first 2 months of my life, and they wonder why I am scatty!!!! Kazzie!
  • loufenner published 28/03/2001
    I too have this play pen/cot and it goes all around the family. The only thing is that I paid over £70 for mine, you really did get a bargain. Thanks, Louisa.