Green Flag

Green Flag

Review of "Green Flag"

published 06/09/2010 | kat74_uk
Member since : 22/02/2003
please rate my reviews-v.important.I'm a keen gamer, luv my gadgets-always trying out new things-so u don't waste ur money!
Pro none
Cons service, don't use their own vehicles, chargable number to call from a mobile, lack of knowledge
Speed Of Response
Cost
Level Of Cover
Customer Service

"Who is greenflag then?"

I had thought my comprehensive cover would mean I was worry free. I pay just under £10 pm, and joined greenflag as I didn't want the break down cover- my car insurance offered- because they call up any local mechanic, this doesn't give the same sense of safety for a woman- as it does when you see a 'RAC' 'AA' or 'Greenflag' named vehicle arrive.
I needed help, I was stranded in a car park- early evening last week. It was cold, and my family were with me. Green Flag took 8 minutes to answer the phone, this was of course- via my mobile- at considerable cost to myself. When I finally spoke with a woman, she said they charge for recovering an automatic car- and that these charges will be very high if the car needs towing. I said send them out anyway- and if they advise me of that- I will send them away. I thought 'I will get somthing for my money, even if it is just to waste their time'.

After about 15 minutes- during which time I was freaking out, worrying about how we would get our car home- as we knew it would need a tow- I got a call from greenflag. This time it was a man, he told me a companies name- and said they were the ones coming out- I was quite shocked, and said 'I pay almost £120 a year for this cover- I don't want any old cowboy mechanic coming out, he said greenflag no longer have their own vehicles, I expressed my shock, and was then advised that the 'extra charge' for a tow, was not true- because my car's wheels were straight, it is only if the wheels are not straight- as they would need special equiptment- nothing to do with it being automatic drive. The next shock was the arrival time estimate of slightly over 60 minutes!

The result:
After 80 minutes from the start of breakdown- my child and I - got a local friend to collect us and take us home- my husband waited with the car.
I called greenflag from home, and was told the delay in someone arriving was now longer.
2 hours and 20 minutes after the first call for help, they turned up.
No extra charge- and I can claim £10 under their rapid response pledge- this will just about cover all the call costs.

I would tell everyone to park with wheels totally straight, just in case!
I would never recommend green flag to anyone.
I am about to cancel my direct debit and join rac

• Amazingwoo published 07/09/2010
    Oh my God - that sounds awful!! I've had to call out the RAC twice now (flat battery and a puncture) and on both occassions I was given regular update calls from the call centre and then the driver to say how far away he was and I never had to wait as long as you did. It is very reassuring to see that bright orange van, I too would be concerned about any old mechanic rolling up as, like estate agents, they don't have the best rep do they!
  • dbkv150 published 06/09/2010
    Very good review!
  • Wackamolie25 published 06/09/2010
    Sounds Like One To Avoid Then.

Product Information : Green Flag

Tel: 0845 246 1557; Website: http://www.greenflag.co.uk/; Details: Breakdown assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year; A national network of breakdown specialists; An average response time around 40 minutes; 80% of breakdowns are fixed at the roadside; No Callout Discount, saving you money off next year's cover if you don't call us out; Almost 5 million customers; Over 30 years experience in providing breakdown assistance

Type: Breakdown Organisation