Greggs the Bakers (Shop)

Greggs the Bakers (Shop)

Review of "Greggs the Bakers (Shop)"

published 10/04/2007 | ang_2906
Member since : 31/07/2006
Pro nice choice of fillings
Cons always busy
Price
Layout & presentation
Selection & range
Availability

"Something different to fill your belly"

How many times do you find yourself in the middle of a busy high street and realise it's lunch time? Maybe it's just me but I always seem to time my shopping trips at the wrong time of the day and end up shopping right over lunch time.
In the majority of high streets you will be faced with a huge variety of eateries offering a quick bite to eat, whether it's the healthy option you're looking for or a burger etc, there is usually something to tempt you.
I always seem to either go for the supermarket sandwich, or a quick fix of a burger. Getting fed up with both of these options as all varieties are the same every time you visit, I have recently been looking around for the "something different".

You will no doubt find a Greggs bakery on most high streets in most towns as they have over 1,000 shops nationwide. They began life as a family bakers in the 1930s and have expanded to what they are today.

To be perfectly honest I have walked past the shop many many times and never gone in as there is always a huge queue. This puts me off, until I realise that going down the road to say Burger King, you could still be faced with another huge queue.
Once I decided to brave the shop, I did find first impressions quite daunting. There wasn't a lot of room in the tiny shop front to host both queuing customers as well as customers browsing the shelves looking for their choice of food.
Well there's nothing else for it really is there but to battle through and look at the shelves. The food items are laid out well enough with sandwiches and rolls divided into separate sections according to fillings. These range from what you would expect to see, chicken, fish, vegetarian etc etc. The one difference I found here is that the range of actual filling that are crammed into these sections contain a lot more variety than other serve yourself sandwich shops.

My other half always opts for a chicken salad where ever he is. I on the other hand never know what to have until it stares me in the face and I realise I do actually fancy that today. In Greggs I found myself not knowing what to choose from the Range of all these different fillings. My first purchase in here was a chicken piri piri sandwich. A filling I haven't seen nesting on the supermarket shelves which made it more appealing to me.

The choice of sandwiches also came nestled on a variety of breads. There were the standard white or browns made up into your everyday sandwiches, along with seeded rolls and wraps etc. I know a lot of sandwich outlets now offer a variety of different bases for your sandwich and Greggs are no doubt just keeping up with this, however they do seem to look more appetising than some other outlets.
All sandwiches are individually wrapped in clear packaging, and during taste tests they always seem to have just the right amount of filling and mayonnaise etc to make the sandwich tasty and not leaving you munching on dry bread trying to find out where your filling is.
Breads are freshly baked using their own bakeries according to the shops promise, and made up each day. So far they certainly have tasted like they are freshly made each day.
As I'm sure you'll realise with some supermarkets, you may be getting yesterdays sandwiches if there were any left over, but the judge of some of the sale by dates I see.

Apart from your usually sandwiches Greggs also sell drinks, crisps, cakes and savoury options such as sausage rolls etc. These can be bought either hot or cold and make the shop smell gorgeous.

The prices for an average sandwich are very similar to other outlets and supermarkets. You can expect to pay around two quid for a chicken with salad sandwich. Drinks are fairly priced accordingly as well as the other food options.

So back to braving the queue. I wasn't entirely sure where it ended and who was in it, but surprisingly the queues do move quickly as there are usually a coupe of people serving at the top end of the queue. Needless to say the counter is also where you can order your pies and pastries etc so if you are indecisive you may well hold the queue up as you decide.
I do find the counter quite high and if you are relatively short then stretching over for change etc can be a bit of a task.

The staff have always been friendly in the branches I visit. They all seem old enough to be out of short trousers which certainly helps when ordering food from a fast food outlet.

If you're looking for a quick fix and fancy something possibly a bit different then I would definitely recommend visiting Greggs on your way past.

• stegasaurus_sam published 16/07/2007
    Greggs is amazing you cant walk down the high street without going in mmmmmm pastry
  • deltaflyer_uk published 07/07/2007
    Great review yet again... I have been to this store many times and your store is not alone with the looong queues! our store sometimes has about 15-20 people queueing and sometimes they queueing outside! when i do get there finally i have hot sausage roll and they scrummy aswell as corned beef pasty!. Ok priced too.
  • mrten_8 published 24/04/2007
    4 Mini Cheese and Onion pasties please! Ten

Product Information : Greggs the Bakers (Shop)

Listed on Ciao since: 28/12/2001