star3683 5

star3683

Member since:14.11.2010

Pasty Heaven/Hip Hell!

04.04.2011

Advantages:
cheap, filling quick food

Disadvantages:
not so great for diets

Frequency of visit

Selection & range

In store customer service

Freshness of goods

City / Branch addressNottingham

PriceLow

Layout & presentationGood

AvailabilityGoods are nearly always in stock

QualityGood

After-sales serviceGood

Staff knowledgeExcellent

Waiting / queuesMinimal

9 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Katieshaz
  2. TheHairyGodmother
  3. thedevilinme

I am a huge fan of cheap and cheerful Gregg's, there are 7 in Nottingham city centre with each one being no more than a 5 minute walk from my work place...very dangerous for my hips!!!

Gregg's was founded in the 1930's in Tyneside, but now has expanded to having approximately 1,400 shops throughout the UK. Its advertising slogan is 'The Home of Fresh Baking' and it obviously works as they sell millions of products every day.

Gregg's sells pastries, pizza's, cakes, sandwiches, soup and breakfast rolls. They are continuously growing and expanding there range of products to continue to attract new and repeat customers.

~~~~~The Savories~~~~~
Gregg's are most well know for there pasties and sausage rolls. They range from around £0.60 to £1.30 and have a variety of fillings including:
Cheese and Onion
Steak Bake
Sausage, Cheese and Bean Melt
Cornish Pasty
Chicken Bake
Sausage Roll
A more recent addition to the savories has been the introduction of the pizza's, available in Cheese and Tomato and Pepperoni.
My favourite in this section has to be the Steak Bake, with its flaky pastry and delicious tender chunks of steak in a rich gravy.

~~~~~Sandwiches~~~~~
I was always totally hooked on Gregg's fresh filled baguettes until a few months ago when I started trying a few sandwiches, rolls and even wraps. There is now a great variety of different fillings to choose from too, they even have seasonal fillings to give you a change.
The one thing I love is that you can get the same filling on different breads which is great for those who don't always want there egg mayo for example of a white roll they can choose to have it on a brown or seeded instead.
Gregg's also offer a range of healthier option sandwiches too with no added mayo which is great if your watching your figure.

~~~~~The Cakes~~~~~
From muffins, doughnuts, gingerbread men, sweet pastries, fresh cream cakes, shortbreads, mince pies, biscuits and my all time favourite cupcakes! The cakes are an excellent price and always lovely and fresh, probably not to good for the waistline but perfect for an indulgent treat.

~~~~~Drinks/Snacks~~~~~
In the aim to become a one stop lunch shop Gregg's sells a range of crisps, drinks and snacks. This allows you to make more of a meal of your sandwich or pasty than a simple snack. More recently I have even seen pots of fresh fruit on sale to offer a more healthy option, although if I had a choice between fruit or a cake for dessert I think I know which option I would take!

~~~~~Other items~~~~~
Its not just about pasties anymore Gregg's now offer hot drinks at a fraction of the prices of the large coffee shops. Also soup is on the menu for lunch, although I do hope they start offering different flavours soon I like tomato allot but I like a variety too.
One of the best additions to the menu is the breakfast roll! You can have a sausage/bacon or sausage and bacon rolls with sauce and a hot drink or orange juice for £1.99. This to me is a complete bargain, they are also fantastic, with very fresh rolls, nice tasting sausages and back bacon. Much better than McDonalds and about half the price.
Gregg's now celebrates seasonal events such as Christmas, Easter and Halloween with theme goodies. I love the Gregg's viennese topped mince pies and the special seasonal cupcakes. Not only is it a great marketing tool but puts a smile on my face when I see something different for lunch too!

~~~~~Overall~~~~~
Gregg's might not be for everyone but to me it offers cheap, filling food for a excellent prices. It has long opening hours, good customer service (from what I have experienced) and freshly baked good's. Yes, most items are high in calories and fat but on an odd occasion and as part of a balanced diet who can refuse a cupcake or pasty once in a while!!

Review may also appear on Dooyoo under the same name.

watkins11 04.04.2011 23:52

Yum, luckily I don't have one local, or I'd be at least 3 sizes bigger!