Grolier.com

Pro books to your door.
Cons Almost everything
Variety on offer
Purchase obligations

"What expence for a few books"

Were do you start with this one. Going from my experiece having brought from them for over a year now.

I shall start firstly with the books. From what I have recieved 1st steps to reading, first steps to maths, the disney club and finally the thomas the tank club. The quality of the books is to be desired, I have seen better on market stalls. Most books are at £3.50 plus per book so there are many cheaper around, but hey you have the convience of not going out to the shop.

I don't think much of the way they group there books to age. I got stung with the first steps to reading series. ' these books are suitable for your child' Okay they are suitable for a child but not mine like they made out on the phone. @these are right for your childs age group' also incorrect. I thought these books would be hard back, hard wearing, even board book, being suitable for a year old. No just paper pages. which any one with chldren knows won't last two seconds.

Enough about the books, the service you recieve is good, the books turn up all the time, and continusly despite cancelling, or refusing. then there is the calenders and the year books, all amounting to a small fortune.

As for commitment to the club, you have to purchase so many of the series before you can cancel and many more after when you want to close your account. They do however offer a 10 day trial on the books, where you keep the free gifts and send the book back.

I wouldn't try to get in contact with them, I am still trying. And when you do get them they don't listen, tho are quick enough to ring when they have yet another series that might interest you. The staff are polite enough, and really try hard to sell the things to you, and anyone else who may answer the phone. The number of times I come home to find out they have told my husband we will send them out because we are sure your wife will like them

On a plus side, there internet site is easy to use and allows payment of clubs via the web. You also get exclusives on the internet site, plus you can view clubs and FAQ etc of the various clubs. Also if you wnat to cancel your club I have found this the easiest and quickest way. I recieved an e-mail within 24 hours confirming cancellation.

You do get a lot of choice and there are always different offers on your innvoice, but even this isn't enough to entise me to want to stay and pay.

This review was read 2057 times and was rated at

• rachvt published 14/03/2006
    Gosh, you've just helped me avoid making another gross mistake with this one! I'd gotten one of their flyers in the Bounty mum-to-be packs and was gonna try them out since I already have a 3 year old daughter who likes Winnie the Pooh. I've already had one bad experience with a Book Club, so ... really don't want to repeat it again. Thanks for the review!!
  • KRISPY13 published 06/04/2004
    I once had a bad experience with this company....Kris
  • Vicky28Vernon published 29/12/2003
    I've also been 'stung' with the Steps to reading series although the books I received were hardback, they are very American and I wouldn't say that they were relevant or appropriate for my daughter at the time. You have written a great review highlighting some of Groliers weakpoints. Maybe it was just me but I had problems returning items and still got billed for many of them weeks after they'd been returned!! Vicky xx