Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney

Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney

This is an interactive audio CD based on the story of how Big Nutbrown Hare and Little Nutbrown Hare try to measure their love for one another.

Review of "Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney"

published 06/03/2002 | DiazX
Member since : 29/09/2000
Pro Simple, charming, fun story
Cons None

"License to cuddle"

My son, James is just three, he is a wonderfully considerate and giving boy. He shares his sweets and toys with other children as well as sharing the occasional knuckle sandwich with them; well he IS a boy after all. Even before he was born he was giving, he gave his Mum morning sickness, he gave me plenty of kicks in the back as his mother cuddled me and he gave his sister a book when she was born. The book was “Guess how much I love you.” By Sam Bratney illustrated by Anita Jeram.

Well if I’m truthful, I suppose I ought to confess and say it was really me who bought the book. We had heard horror stories of jealous older children feeling pushed out by the arrival of a younger sibling, so the gift was something intended to smooth James’ acceptance by Molly. The book came with a pair of cuddly toys as well, so they had one each. The toys, hares, are the characters from the book, Big Nutbrown Hare and Little Nutbrown Hare. They each have little Velcro tabs on their hands so they can cuddle each other; it lets the kids play out the story from the book. They are as charming as the illustrations in the book and Molly insisted on carrying hers around with her for weeks afterwards in a little rucksack. She of course had Big Nutbrown and James had Little Nutbrown, very fitting.

The story is nice and simple, Big Nutbrown Hare is trying to get Little Nutbrown Hare to sleep, something any parent can sympathize with. But before they can settle down Little Nutbrown has to tell Big Nutbrown just how much he loves him, “I love you this much!!” he says stretching up high on his toes and Big Nutbrown stretches up on his toes and says the same, of course he’s much bigger, so he loves Little Nutbrown more. Not content with being outdone by Big Nutbrown, Little Nutbrown capers around, getting bigger and higher and further until his little Hare brain can’t think anymore and he gets tired.

“I love you all the way to the moon” Little Nutbrown says sleepily. “Oh that’s far, that’s very, very far” says Big Nutbrown tucking in Little Nutbrown. When Little Nutbrown finally drops off Big Nutbrown says “I love you all the way to the moon…. and back.”

Jeram’s artwork is clean and simple very much in the style of a cleaned-up Quentin Blake the illustrator of many of Roald Dahl’s books. They are wonderfully animated and humorous throughout, simply charming. Jeram has illustrated a number of books including a range of books by Dick King Smith, author of Babe.

There is so much scope for play in this book, stretching and jumping around, talking about how big things are and how far away they are. More importantly there are some really good chances to get some great big cuddles from the kids, which is a good enough reason for any parent to read this to their kids.

• darkangelwing published 26/08/2006
    Good review (-:....................................Darko
  • silksquare published 10/08/2004
    This is one of my favourite kids books. I'm a primary school teacher and have often read it to my class at school. They love they story and the illustrations, and then make up their own versions! :o)
  • ariadne published 20/04/2003
    A sweet book - I like the fact that it comes with toy versions of the characters. x

Product Information : Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney

Type: Fiction

Genre: Children's

Title: Guess How Much I Love You

Author: Sam McBratney

ISBN: 0744532248; 074455439X; 0744558085; 0744579171; 0744592437; 0744592895; 0763627291; 0862783909; 140630039X; 1406300403; 1406307289; 1564024733; 1844280837; 1844281086; 1854303821; 185430383X; 1854303848; 1854303856; 1854303864; 1854303872; 1854309870

Listed on Ciao since: 26/02/2002