Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney

Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney

This is an interactive audio CD based on the story of how Big Nutbrown Hare and Little Nutbrown Hare try to measure their love for one another.

Review of "Guess How Much I Love You - Sam McBratney"

published 27/09/2004 | anwar
Member since : 30/04/2003
All reads gratefully received! If I miss you give me a shout! Thanks for the premium fund ciao!
Pro lots
Cons none
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability

"Can you guess?"

Guess how much I love you is one of the most engaging children’s books ever written. It is a really simple short book, which shows how difficult it is to tell someone how much you love them.

Little nutbrown hare is about to go to bed but like many youngsters he wants to be reassured he is loved. He gets big nutbrown hares attention by pulling his ears forward, much as a small child pulls an adults face towards them when they want to ensure they have your full attention. Little nutbrown hare asks big nutbrown hare to guess how much he loves him and stretches his little arms as wide as he can to show how great his love is. Big nutbrown hare replies that he loves the little hare as wide as he can stretch his arms, which is of course even wider!

The story continues with the little hare describing his love for the bigger hare as being as high as he can reach, again the bigger hare can reach even higher and says he to loves the little hare as high as he can reach. Little nutbrown hare then decides to show how much he loves big nutbrown hare by standing on his hands against a tree and telling the bigger hare that he loves him all the way to his toes which are several feet up the tree! My little boy always giggles at this part as he finds the picture of the little hare upside down whilst a bemused big hare looks on very funny. The bigger hare responds by swinging the little hare up over his head and telling him he loves the little hare all the way up to his toes, which of course is now quite high. The story continues with each expressing their love for each other and little hare getting more and more sleepy until he is hardly able to think anymore. Then little nutbrown hare looks up into the dark sky and tells big nutbrown hare that he loves him up to the moon. Big nutbrown hare tenderly lays the little hare down to sleep in a bed of leaves, kisses him and agrees that the moon is very, very far. The last page shows the big hare lying close by the sleepy little hare. Then big nutbrown hare whispers to the little hare, I love you right up to the moon-and back. The little hare has discovered that love is not an easy thing to measure.

Anita Jeram beautifully but simply illustrates the book. The illustrations are watercolour type pictures and work perfectly with the text. I love the illustration of the little hare pulling at the big hares ears to get full attention. The picture of the little hare upside down against a tree conveys humour. The expressions on the faces of the hares show the love they both have for each other.

We have had this book for about a year now and absolutely love it! I always find myself moist eyed by the time we get to the last page! I think it is a really reassuring book to read at bedtime as I always end by kissing my son and telling him I love him up to the moon and back too! I would recommend this book for all ages. It would make a lovely present for a baby or another adult you want to express your love to!

The book is available in several different forms. We have the board book edition, which costs £3.99. It is also available with a toy hare in a gift pack for £6.52 from Amazon or in hardback for £6.39 again from Amazon. There is a cheaper paperback edition available for just £1.99. The ISBN no for the board book we have is –0-7445-4918-3.

• justarube published 23/06/2017
    VH
  • hiedihi published 29/09/2007
    This is my daughters favourite book ! Heidi xx
  • ben-lloyd published 28/06/2005
    Fantastic book bought for me by my wife. Sadly my two and four year olds don't like it as much as I do ;)