HMV

Cons Too expensive
customer service
range of goods in stock

"Increasing Shop Prices"

Having been mad on music for 10 years, I have been a constant CD buyer throughout each of those years. It’s best not to count up the money I must have spent on albums but just consider the excellent CD collection I now have.

The majority of this money has gone to HMV so I can safely say I have contributed greatly to their continued retail success. It is only now I am beginning to tire of it all. In my town we are limited to HMV cornering the music market. ‘Our Price’ was across from HMV until they closed down, however, they could never really compete with the choice available in HMV. Having said that, Our Price was good for blasting out cool music in the shop – they just didn’t have it to sell. I could sometimes be seen standing at the shop just to hear my favourite music reverberating through the Town Centre (and with that being rock music – this was very unusual).

Granted, a bigger variety of shops exist in Glasgow which is half an hour’s drive away from me but I still think HMV has the better range. But it is their prices that are really getting to me now. New albums having been out only a week suddenly rise to £17 having been £12 or £14 before. Everyone hears about CD’s costing pittance to produce and inflated prices for the shops, but it’s really getting ridiculous. Especially when surfing the net you see the prices in America which are less, even before you convert the dollars to pounds. Even when adding on American postage it comes to less than nipping down to your local shop.

However, I’ve dissed HMV now but having visited their website (www.hmv.co.uk) they may still have a chance to redeem themselves. The prices for their albums online seem to be a fair bit cheaper, roughly £10-£11 depending of course on your choice. Delivery of your CD’s after ordering can arrive about 3 days later unless it is something more obscure. The range of CD’s is better than their shops, probably due to greater storage space and less overheads and costs of operating in a shopping centre. Their postage rates are, I think, reasonable too. One CD costs £1.00 postage and every one thereafter is another 40p. This is good when you consider the general postal rates for every where else are usually £3.00 plus!!

So I’ll be buying online (with HMV or elsewhere) from now on until something improves in shop prices.

• oliverlester published 08/02/2005
    Good review, and i agreed with most of the inforamtion presented. I would say that virgin is better however for value and customoer service.
  • yhwman published 19/03/2001
    A friend of mine (not baboon connected) worked out how much I had spent on music once and announced that I could have bought a car instead. Oh well :) - Good op.
  • polli published 19/03/2001
    I always try Fopp first (I live in Edinburgh so there are loads of CD shops) they are an independent retailer and CD's usually cost £10-£12. Although their selection can be a bit small at times

Product Information : HMV