HMV.co.uk

Books, Movies & Music

Review of "HMV.co.uk"

published 13/09/2001 | jbutty
Member since : 21/06/2001
Good
Pro A name to trust, special offers worth checking
Cons Not the cheapest, slow web site

"A mixed bag"

I have had a pretty good time with the high street shop HMV and the online site is very similar. The first point that I can make is that it feels safe to be dealing with a name that we all know and trust, there are too many online companies that pop up that you have no idea if they are reputable or not.

My first dealing with the online site was not a good one. I ordered a CD and a video and filled in the registration form that is par for the course on these sites ie name, address, email etc. I had not had my computer long when I did this and soon after I realised I had given them a mis-spelt email address. I emailed their customer services with my correct email address and they said my order would still proceed and they would ammend my account details. A week passed and I emailed them again and again but still it was not sorted until I looked on my order tracking screen and it said Order Cancelled! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....their loss I thought!

Anyway, that was my first experience and I stayed well clear until they had a 4 for £20 offer. It was an offer I could not refuse so I filled out a new registration form typing my email address very carefully and ordered.

About a week later my order turned up in pristine condition! I also ordered at the same time an obscure import which I thought was long out of print. About 2 weeks later that turned up as well and I noticed that as I had ordered my other items at the same time my postage on this was free! After a week I decided that I didn't like one of the CD's after all and took it back to my local HMV store and changed it there which I found very convenient.

The choice within the online store is excellent with basically anything still in print on there. I found a lot of the items pretty expensive but their offers they have from time to time are definitely worth checking out.

Apart from my registration problems my biggest gripe with this site is it can be excrutiatingly slow, especially when they have their offers on. I have had to give in trying to enter the site at peak times and come back late at night on a few occasions. On the plus side the website is colourful and well set out and quite easy to navigate.

I think this op is basically saying that first impressions are not always right and it is worth giving sites another chance!