HP L1740 17 in

HP L1740 17 in

17-inch display with the latest flat screen technology and a range of advanced features – the perfect solution for everyday business applications.

Review of "HP L1740 17 in"

published 22/07/2016 | anonymili
Member since : 10/10/2002
Trying hard to get my "mojo" back but it's proving difficult. Technical issues here also prevent me from participating as much as I could!
Pro Cheap, lasts a long time, completely suits my needs
Cons None
Picture quality
Image Size in relation to tube size
Colour sensitivity
Design

"About My HP 1740"

I've been using a HP 1740 Monitor for around two years now. Actually, to be more honest, I've been using TWO of these monitors for around two years at work. That's pretty much five days a week for most of my working day as I'm office based and my work pretty much involves using databases, spreadsheets, email and the internet all day. I tend to have my emails open on one screen and work on data management on my other screen. Those lovely men from IT set it all up so I can move easily from my left screen to right and back again just with the click of my mouse on the required screen.

The HP 1740 Monitor is a flat panel TFT whic has been around for over a decade now and has been superceded by newer models over the years, so I'm not going to make this a complex long review as it's unlikely that you'd want to buy this new when there are newer/better spec monitors out there. But in case you were thinking of a picking up a second hand model, let me tell you about my experience of the HP 1740. In 2 years of regular use, I've not experienced any issues whatsoever with my 2 monitors and they weren't new when I first started using them either.

So this is a 17 inch monitor which, as you may be aware, means it measures 17 inches across the screen from the bottom left hand corner to the top right or top left to bottom right. The screen is anti glare (which means you won't experience difficulty in looking at your screen if you have a window behind you) and anti static.

To date I haven't had to call on anyone for manufacturer support (nor my tech support team), and I haven't had to look up instructions on how to change any settings.

~What It Has/Does~

This monitor has a 3 year guarantee and supposedly the backlight life should last for 40,000 hours. On average mine is used for 2,000 hours a year so I've no worries about the backlight going for many many years.

I have used my monitor from time to time for webinar and video conference calls and didn't have any issues with viewing people presenting on my screen.

From the screen buttons one can control the contrast, brigthness, display mode, image control (allows you to auto adjust your screen and move the horizontal and vertical positions, management (includes power saving mode, mode display, power on recall, sleep timer, default video input and basic menu), colour (options of 9300k, 6500k, custom colour and sRGB), language, information (which tells you the current screen settings and the recommended settings, the serial number and how many hours of the backlight available hours have been used so far).

The monitor has an adjustable stand to move it higher and lower.

~What It Hasn't Got/Doesn't Do~

This monitor is not HD compatible, which, as I use this for work, is not an issue for me. I never watch videos at work and to be quite frank, I'm not sure I'd even notice the difference. This monitor doesn't have a touch screen (which is good for me), I hate having people's paw prints all over screens as tends to be the norm these days. As far as I'm aware this monitor can't be used as a TV tuner either.

The monitor doesn't have any built in speakers either, which is not an issue for me either. Personally speaking I don't know how many monitors for general use in the work place these days have built in speakers? When I need to take part in webinars or the like I plug my headphones into my laptop...

Another thing it doesn't do is tilt sideways or up and down. This is not an issue for me as the monitor is height adjustable enough so that it is at eye level for me.

~Specs And Stuff~

Height: 14.7 inches
Width: 15 inches
Depth: 5.9 inches
Weight: 15.4 lbs
Image Aspect Ratio: 5:4
Cable: has USB and VGA cable ports
Power consumption: on average when using regular applications 33 watts and can use up to 60 watts
Display colours: 16 million
Maximum (and recommended) resolution: 1280 x 1024

~Rating~

My rating of my HP1740 monitor is full marks of 5 out of 5. It suits my purposes for daily use in the workplace perfectly and I'm in no hurry to use up any of my department's budget to buy new screens when the 2 I have work perfectly well.

NB: I'm not including prices as these can be easily looked up by the reader at the time of reading should they wish to purchase a reconditioned model - I will say that these are reliable and DO last a long time, so for less than £50 (at the time of writing) you do get very good value for money.

• BrutalHonesty91 published 13/12/2016
    Well covered =)
  • frankiecesca published 01/12/2016
    Good review x
  • CoffeeQueen68 published 14/11/2016
    Well reviewed! =)

Product Information : HP L1740 17 in

Product Description: HP L1740 - LCD monitor - 17"

Device Type: LCD monitor - 17"

Built-in Devices: USB HUB

Input Connectors: DVI-D, VGA

Display Position Adjustments: Height, pivot (rotation), swivel, tilt

Screen Coating: Anti-glare, anti-static

Colour: Silver, carbonite black

Dimensions (WxDxH): 37.1 cm x 15 cm x 35.1 cm, 38.1 cm x 15 cm x 49 cm, 38.1 cm x 15 cm x 37.4 cm

Weight: 7 kg

Localisation: English / United Kingdom, English / United States, English / Europe, French / Switzerland, Danish / Denmark, English / Australia

Microsoft Certification: Works with Windows Vista

Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified

Compliant Standards: Plug and Play, MPR II, CSA, UL, TUV, VCCI, BSMI, PC 99, CCIB, DDC-2B, GS, ISO 13406-2, NOM, CCEE, TUV Ergo, MIC, FCC, RoHS

Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years warranty

Designed For: Business Desktop dc5700, Business Desktop dc5700, dc5750, dc7100, dc7600, dc7800, dx2000, Business Desktop dc5100, dc5750, Business Desktop dc5700; Thin Client t5125, t5520, t5525, t5710

Pricing Type: Remarketed

General

MPN: PL766AA#ABU, PL766AA#NPS, PL766A, PL766AA#ABA, PL766AA#ABB, PL766ATR#ABU, PL766AAR#ABU, PL766AT, PL766AT#ABQ, PL766AT#ABY, PL766AA, PL766AT#ABB, PL766AT#ABU, PL766AA#ABG

Display Type: LCD monitor / TFT active matrix

Horizontal Viewing Angle: 150

Vertical Viewing Angle: 135

Screen Coating: Anti-glare, anti-static

Colour Temperature: 6500K

Controls & Adjustments: Brightness, contrast, H/V position, H/V size, input select, colour temperature, phase, clock

OSD Languages: Chinese (simplified), English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Dutch

Features: AssetControl

Colour: Silver, carbonite black

Weight: 7 kg

Image Colour Disclaimer: The image of the product displayed may be of a different colour

Connectivity

Interfaces: 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x DVI-D - 24 pin digital DVI ¦ 1 x Hi-Speed USB upstream - 4 PIN USB Type B ¦ 2 x Hi-Speed USB downstream - 4 PIN USB Type A

Mechanical

Display Position Adjustments: Height, pivot (rotation), swivel, tilt

Flat Panel Mount Interface: 100 x 100 mm

Miscellaneous

Features: Security lock slot (cable lock sold separately)

Cables Included: 1 x VGA cable - 1.8 m ¦ 1 x USB cable

Backlight Life: 40,000 hours

Works with Windows Vista: Software and devices that carry the Works with Windows Vista logo have been tested for baseline compatibility with PC's running.

Pricing Type: Remarketed

Power

Power Supply: Internal

Voltage Required: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz ), AC 120/230 V ( 50 - 60 Hz )

Power Consumption Operational: 40 Watt

Power Consumption Stand by / Sleep: 2 Watt

Software / System Requirements

Included Software: Drivers & Utilities

Environmental Standards

ENERGY STAR Qualified: Yes

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support: 3 years warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - parts and labour - 3 years - on-site

Environmental Parameters

Min Operating Temperature: 5 °C

Max Operating Temperature: 35 °C

Humidity Range Operating: 20 - 80%

Compatibility Information

Designed For: HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5700, HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5700, dc5750, dc7100, dc7600, dc7800, dx2000, HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5100, dc5750

Listed on Ciao since: 08/06/2005