HP X3000 - mouse

Built with strict standards and guidelines, the HP Mouse X3000 effortlessly blends sleek, modern design with life-enhancing, advanced features.

Review of "HP X3000 - mouse"

published 11/11/2015 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Good
Pro Very cheap, appears to look good, didn't get chance to break.
Cons Cheap feel, trying to be something it isn't.
Responsiveness
Robustness & durability
Look & feel
Range of extra features / functions

"HP X3000"

First impressions

I am always 50/50 when it comes to recommending or even looking at HP products. They have let me down a few times but have also come good and surprised me on a few occasions. I am just a little bit cautious when it comes to certain brands, though I shouldn’t be too quick to judge them on this mouse because first impressions are very important when it comes to pleasing a consumer and persuading them to buy your product.

The HP X3000 looks a thing of beauty. At least, it does when you see it in pictures online. The top cover of the mouse where the buttons are located and where your hand will sit has a superb glossy finish to it. This reminds me very much of one of my favourite brands, Samsung. The piano black finish really sets this mouse off, though that is where the similarities with the Samsung brand ends. To be fair, looking down the sides of the mouse we have two areas that appear to be cushioned. The rubberised finish offers grip and this is most welcome when it comes to moving a mouse about on any surface.

This mouse has just three ‘buttons’. We have the left and right click buttons at the front of the mouse and then a scroll wheel. This is the classic look of the mouse these days. HP have designed this mouse with the intention of trying to get away from the very basic ‘budget’ mice, though the price tag suggests they are trying to be Manchester City competing in the Championship with a great looking mouse (on paper) that is competing against the lower end of the market (in terms of price).

My experience

This mouse is cheap to buy but it just looks too good to be true. Unfortunately its looks don’t quite live up to its packaging. Images are often manipulated, though I think the image on the box just shows the mouse in its best light. The mouse itself feels fairly light and although you could say that this is a positive thing it can also be a sign of a cheap mouse because there is nothing to it.

The mouse is a good size and I would say it is even quite compact when compared against some mice I have used in the past. I no longer use this mouse because I bought it to replace a wired mouse that I had owned for ages and was becoming quite grubby. It says a lot about the X3000 that I reverted back to the wired mouse until I could replace that, doesn’t it?!

This mouse (apparently) has ‘life-enhancing, advanced features’. I am still scratching my head to this day regarding what these features are. Yes, the X3000 has an optical sensor which picks up movement and controls your on-screen cursor, and a nano receiver which connects to your PC or laptop via a USB port. None of this could be described as ‘life-enhancing’. Compared to other mice this is nothing out of the ordinary.

The mouse uses two AA batteries, which were included with it when I bought the X3000. They are said to last up to one year. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the case because I have had optical mice that have lasted around 6 months but that have required just one AA battery.

This mouse is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8, though it should work with any modern PC or laptop these days. That is, if you want to buy this mouse. I couldn’t imagine why you would, but you may want to.

The X3000 does work reasonably well and although I wouldn’t say it is the most responsive of mice it will allow you to accurately navigate your computer without any major problems. The mouse used to be instantly recognized as soon as I connected it to my laptop, though as I no longer use it I don’t have to worry about looking at this shiny object that is trying to be something that it isn’t.

Price and availability

Whether you opt for a brand new HP X3000 or a ‘nearly new’ one you are going to be looking at around the £10 mark. There are plenty of nearly new X3000’s for sale on eBay and other selling sites. I wonder why?

Final thoughts

If you want to buy a mouse that looks as though it is a top notch pointing device then go ahead and purchase this one. If you are on a budget of £10 you could do a lot worse looks-wise and in terms of using the mouse it isn’t horrible. I would personally advise that you spend a little more cash and buy something more suited to day to day computer use. If you are a casual user then this mouse wouldn’t be the worst to choose, but as I use my computer frequently I want to be able to connect with my mouse and feel as though it is a luxury item.

Buy a brand new X3000 if you insist on getting one because there are no savings to be made buying used. Lets face it, what can you buy for £10 these days when it comes to your computer? Don’t expect much and you will not be disappointed.

• hiker published 29/12/2015

Movement Resolution: 1200 cpi

Features: Scrolling wheel

Battery: 2 x AA type

Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years warranty

Designed For: Envy 14, 15, 4, DV6, DV7; Envy Sleekbook 4; Envy Spectre XT; ENVY TouchSmart 15, 4; Envy x2; Pavilion 14, 15, DV6, dv7; Pavilion Sleekbook 14, 15; Pavilion TouchSmart; Pavilion TouchSmart Sleekbook 15; Pavilion x2; Spectre 14; Spectre x2; Spectre XT; SPECTRE XT TouchSmart 15; Split x2; TouchSmart

General