HP iPAQ 214

Review of "HP iPAQ 214"

published 30/01/2008 | John369
Member since : 29/01/2008
Pro Easy to use.
Cons None yet. Will update.
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"HP iPaq Enterprise Handheld"

I have just joined Ciao community to put the record straight on this PDA. A previous Ciao reviewer has given a negative review. I have only owned the PDA (HP iPaq 214 Enterprise Handheld) for two days. I believe I was one of the first in the UK to receive this machine as it became available from 25th January 2008. I was almost put off buying the iPaq by the other review here, but decided to give it a try. I am glad, as the PDA does everything a PDA should and at a very good speed and price. The other review here is definitely not for the iPaq 214. How did he get it some months before anyone else? The description bears no resemblance to my iPaq 214. The reviewer says the camera is appalling and defunct - it does not have a camera at all, so that clears that up. It does have 128 MB SDRAM and 256MB flash ROM, mine also came with 1GB SD card. His cost £250, I paid £222 delivered (ordered September 2007 from BT). It does not have an integrated phone, terrific! If you want to use the iPaq for phoning you can, go to contacts, press dial number and it dials your mobile for you. Personally I just use the mobile. I bought this PDA to keep my phone and camera separate from my organiser. I can't comment on Sync problems with non-Windows environments, as I run Windows XP on my PC and Laptop. I do like Windows Mobile 6.

From opening the box, everything was smooth. All programs were preinstalled on PDA. I had to install Microsoft ActiveSync on my PC and Laptop. Put the iPaq on charge and had synced it to my PC, Laptop and mobile phone within moments. It picked up my Wi-Fi network (Blueyonder up to 20 MB on Linksys Wireless G router) first time, no manual set up required. My only input was my WEP key. Bluetooth connection to the Laptop and mobile was instant, again no input required. My contacts were easily transferred from my PC to my new PDA. The iPaq 214 recognised the contacts file and asked if I wanted to install them. Linked to email account (has to be Outlook) no problem. You can check out the technical specifications on many Internet sites, but my first impressions are it is compact, light, has a great easy to see 4-inch touchscreen and is VERY easy to use.

Overall, it does not replace a PC or Laptop, but makes a great partner for both.

• matty0501 published 01/02/2008
    Welcome to Ciao. Nice first review. Matt :-)

Product Information : HP iPAQ 214

The HP iPAQ 214 Enterprise Handheld has the power to run your business applications and a broad range of third-party vertical solutions. It is an attractive alternative to other handheld platforms. With large 4-inch touch screen and 802.11 b/g wireless networking, it delivers enterprise-class connectivity, so you can mobilize your business and maximize your results.

Product Description: HP iPAQ 214 - handheld - Windows Mobile 6.0 - 4", HP iPAQ 214 - handheld - Windows Mobile 6.0 Classic - 4"

Product Type: Handheld

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.0, Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.0 Classic

Display: 4" colour TFT - 640 x 480

Weight: 192 g, 190 g

Localisation: United Kingdom, France, Europe, Germany, Spain

Manufacturer Warranty: 1 year warranty

General

MPN: FB043AT#ABU, FB043AA#ABF, FB043AT, FB043AA#ABU, FB043AA, FB043AT#ABB, FB043AA#ABD, FB043AA#ABB, FB043AA#ABE, FB043AT#ABF

Product Type: Handheld

Display

Type: 4" colour TFT ( transflective )

Resolution: 640 x 480

Colour Depth: 18-bit colour, 16-bit (64k colours)

Processor

Audio: Microphone , speaker

Input Device

Type: Touch-screen, 9-way navigation pad

Software

Preloaded Software: Calculator, Games, Voice Recorder, Asset Viewer, File Manager, MSN Messenger, Microsoft ActiveSync, Bluetooth Manager, Adobe Acrobat Reader, iPAQ Wireless, Wireless Manager, Microsoft Internet Explorer Mobile, Microsoft Office Outlook Mobile, Microsoft Office Mobile, Today PanelLite, HP Photosmart Mobile, HP Help and Support, Certificate Enroller, HP Setup Assistant, Windows Media Player Mobile

Expansion and Connectivity

Expansion Slots: 1 x SD Memory Card ¦ 1 x CompactFlash Card

Interfaces: 1 x headphones ¦ 1

Power

Voltage Required: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Battery

Technology: Lithium Ion

Capacity: 2200 mAh

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Power adapter , carrying case, stylus

Cables Included: 1 x USB cable ¦ 1 x power cable - 1.8 m

Compliant Standards: UL, VCCI, C-Tick, BSMI, GOST, CCIB, NOM, RRL, SABS, SASO, CCC, MIC, MOC, FCC, ACA, CISPR, ICES, DGT

Localisation: United Kingdom, France, Europe, Germany, Spain

Dimensions & Weight

Width: 7.6 cm, 7.5 cm

Depth: 1.6 cm, 1.8 cm

Height: 12.6 cm, 13.4 cm

Weight: 192 g, 190 g

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - parts and labour - 1 year ¦ Technical support - software - 90 days

Environmental Parameters