HP iPAQ Pocket PC Hx4700

HP iPAQ Pocket PC Hx4700

Review of "HP iPAQ Pocket PC Hx4700"

published 25/07/2005 | sexyjw
Member since : 23/11/2003
Hello. I'm John, 34 years old. I'm an IT Consultant, for a credit card processor. I live with my fiancee, Julie, in Orsett, Essex, where we moved at the end of July 2004.
Pro Looks great. Large memory. Fast processor.
Cons No car charger adaptor
Speed
Look & Feel
Memory / capacity
Comfort & Portability
Robustness & Durability

"HP keep PAQing it in!"

I bought my first PDA a few years ago, and was quite impressed. As things moved on though, I wanted more and more from it, GPS navigation being the main thing.

As I added more and more bits onto the old system, like a bluetooth jacket, and more memory, it got more and more clunky ... hence the need to upgrade.

I plumped for the exceptionally sleek looking iPAQ Hx4700. It claimed a fantastic (for Pocket PCs) screen resolution of 640x480, along with a very fast processor (600+ MHz).

Having been a previous iPAQ owner, I was somewhat wary of all of the manufacturer's (and Microsoft's) claims. My first, supposedly fantastic, iPAQ had been rather clunky to use at times.

I got the new iPAQ back home, and took it into the kitchen. I couldn't resist using it at the first opportunity. So I plugged in the adaptor, and started it charging, and then powered it on for the first time.

The screen looked great. The display is so fine it is unbelievable. To be honest, operating system graphics rarely look better, even on a desktop system.

I began to experiment with the various screen settings (portrait/landscape), and fiddled around setting up a password.

I was more than surprised when the name of my home network popped up, unexpectedly, inviting me to connect to the web. You see, although I have a wireless network in the house, the range has never proved that satisfactory with my desktop devices. So for this little handheld to work was incredible.

After typing in my wireless network password, I was surfing the net, virtually as fast as I could on my desktop machine. Granted, the screen display is a little restrictive on these Pocket PCs, but it didn't falter once.

The keyboard entry seems to have been improved somewhat. The on-screen keyboard seems to appear at the right time now, rather than before, when it showed up any time it thought it might, possibly, be required!

The biggest improvement seems to be with the transcribed (handwriting recognition) input though. It's not that it can suddenly read the worst doctor's handwriting in the world. It's just that it is easier to use on-screen 'keys' to correct, edit and delete incorrectly transcribed entries. For instance, a delete key now appears, that can easily delete an extra character that was interpreted by the machine.

The device uses Microsoft ActiveSync 3.8 to keep in synchronisation with your desktop machine. I actually synch mine with both my home, and my work desktops. I've stopped being late for early morning meetings now!

Alongside the excellent device, you also get 4 'pointsworth' of free software, via the iPAQ site. I chose some Brainwave Synchronisation software, and a pack of 30 or so desktop themes.

The inbuilt software includes Windows Media Player 10, which, so far, has played everything I have thrown at it. As the Pocket PC supports Secure Digital, CompactFlash and Microdrive, it can effectively also function as an MP3 player, as well as playing videos etc.

The device also includes Pocket Excel (which I have programmed to calculate my Weight Watchers points), Pocket Word, Pocket Informant (handles all of your email and calendar needs), MSN Messenger, Pocket MSN, Clearvue PDF (views Adobe Acrobat docs), and much much more.

Lastly, one impressive feature (for me, at any rate), was the fact that the battery is more of an accessory now, rather than being something inbuilt. It implies that it will be easier to source, and fit a new battery when the time should come!

And you know I said I was impressed with the screen display ... well that was before I discovered, and enabled, the ClearType display functionality. Once enabled, the device's display looked more than impressive. It was absolutely awesome!

So far, I really cannot fault this device. I would recommend it wholeheartedly!

• trevorbrock published 11/09/2005
    Hi again - would totally agree with every word - these really are brilliant - and I've used mine in UK, Spain and Kenya, with no problems - except that my non-tech wife has found jawbreakers on it, and has become an addict ! - Trevor
  • SIMONSD25 published 23/08/2005
    Excellent Review
  • COOOEEE published 02/08/2005
    Good luck in the computer competition. I have now entered this review for it. Fionaxx

Product Information : HP iPAQ Pocket PC Hx4700

High-end features and versatile functionality in a sophisticated design. The powerful HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC is a Microsoft Windows Powered Pocket PC designed with a visually stunning VGA color display, a broad range of feature-rich applications, integrated wireless capabilities, enhanced security and dual-slot expansion that make the HP iPAQ hx4700 Pocket PC an essential asset for productivity both in and out of the office. Sleek, powerful, and feature-rich gets more done on the go. Intel PXA270 624MHz processor raises your productivity to a whole new level. Work faster - work smarter.

Product Description: HP iPAQ Pocket PC hx4700 - handheld - Windows Mobile 2003 SE - 4"

Product Type: Handheld

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition

Display: 4" colour TFT - 480 x 640

Processor: Intel XScale PXA270

Processor Clock Speed: 624 MHz

RAM: 64 MB

Supported Flash Memory Cards: SD Memory Card, CompactFlash (type II), SD Memory Card, MultiMediaCard

Wireless Connectivity: Bluetooth, 802.11b

Dimensions (WxDxH): 7.7 cm x 1.5 cm x 13.1 cm

Weight: 187 g

Localisation: English / United Kingdom, Spanish / Spain, English / Europe, English / United States, French / France, Italian / Italy, German / Germany, Spanish / Latin America

Manufacturer Warranty: 2 years warranty, 1 year warranty

Manufacturer: HP

User Available Memory: Flash: 80 MB

Total User Available Memory: 135 MB

Pricing Type: Remarketed

General

MPN: FA282T#ABU, FA282A#ABE, FA282T#ABB, FA282A#ABA, FA282T#ABF, FA282A#ABF, FA282A#ARE, FA282A#ABB, FA282A, FA282T, FA282A#ABZ, FA282A#ABU, FA282A#ABD, FA282A#B16, FA282AR#ABU, FA282TR#ABU, HX4700

Product Type: Handheld

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition

Display

Type: 4" colour TFT ( transflective )

Resolution: 480 x 640

Colour Depth: 16-bit (64k colours)

Processor

Supported Digital Audio Formats: MP3

Input Device

Type: Touch-screen, touchpad

Software

Preloaded Software: Calculator, Notes, Voice Recorder, Calendar, Contacts, Solitaire, Tasks, Microsoft Pocket Excel, Microsoft Pocket Word, Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player 9.0 for Pocket PC

Expansion and Connectivity

Expansion Slots: 1 x CompactFlash Card - type II ¦ 1 x SD Memory Card

Interfaces: 1 x USB ¦ 1 x serial RS-232 ¦ 1 x headphones

Connectivity Devices: Docking cradle

Power

Voltage Required: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )

Battery

Technology: Lithium Ion

Capacity: 1800 mAh

Miscellaneous

Included Accessories: Power adapter , protective cover, stylus

Compliant Standards: FCC Class B certified, CSA, UL, EN 60950, IEC950, UL 1950, CB, FCC Part 15 C

Cables Included: 1 x USB cable

Pricing Type: Remarketed

Dimensions & Weight

Width: 7.7 cm

Depth: 1.5 cm

Height: 13.1 cm

Weight: 187 g

Manufacturer Warranty

Service & Support Details: Limited warranty - parts and labour - 2 years, Limited warranty - parts and labour - 1 year, Limited warranty - 2 years

Environmental Parameters