HTC Desire

Durability & Robustness
Battery standby time
Battery talktime

"HTC Desire"

I have owned my HTC Desire for around 6 months now. Getting the phone was quite a big step up for me - I generally just buy whatever happens to be free and I was a bit wary about getting anything with a touch screen. All I knew was that I definitley did NOT want an iPhone, as the majority of my friends have them and I've never managed to get on with them. I took a look at the Desire somewhat reluctantly and gave it a go in one of the shops - and I fell in love with it immediatley. So much so that I paid the full £400 for one being that they were sold out at every single store at that point!

Why did I love it so much? Many reasons! It truly is a beautiful phone. HTC Sense is a wonderful thing - the graphics are brilliant and vibrant, the default moving rainbow wallpaper was stunning, and it was so easy to use! I always hated borrowing friends' iPhones to text with as the iPhone keyboard seemed to think I was trying to type with spoons rather than fingers and either didn't do anything or pressed buttons about three away from the one I had actually aimed for. I had no such problems with the Desire. It was so simple as well! Everything was easy to figure out and I loved the customization that it offered. So of course, I simply had to buy one - and I haven't had any problems with it since.

Appearance wise, I still love this phone. All of the live wallpapers are so pretty, and it's easy to find new ones to download if you ever get bored. It's such a simple thing but the default clock complete with its weather animations are also really pretty - I still get a strange sense of joy everytime it's raining outside and the phone puts on its windscreen wiper animation - simple, but it's cute and it makes me smile every time. The phone is extremely customisable. There are 7 'home screens' which you can customize and do what you want with. You can put shortcuts on pages or 'widgets' and make your phone exactly how you want. As an example, my main page is very simple and just has four links to Gmail, SMS, Facebook and the Internet. The pages to the left of mine are for my social life - go one left and you get a photo gallery, one more and you get my twitter update box and facebook news feed, one more and you get my favourites list, displaying big pictures of the 9 people I call the most. The pages to the right are for my university/work life - one to the right shows my to-do list and my calendar (which syncs with facebook, so everyones' birthday is automatically on there), one more and you get my newspaper feed. It's brilliant to just be able to scroll through to see all of the things I need.

The Desire has lots and lots of applications. The one I use most is Astrid, a to-do list. I find it particuarly helpful as you can type in how important a task is and when it has to be completed by - the to-do list is then displayed in the order that Astrid thinks is best based on the given data, which makes it really easy for me to work out exactly when I should do things. It also synchronises with my calendar so that all of my tasks are displayed on it. And it's free! Another application I use frequently is timerrific (free!) which allows you to program your phone to do different things at different times. So in my case I have it set that my phone should go on airplane mode between 10pm - 6am every day, that it should go on silent between 9am - 5pm on Monday and Wednesday and then briefly again later on in Wednesday afternoon, etc etc. And the final application that I use the most is Google Sky Maps (free) which has nothing to do with anything useful but presents you with a view of the sky complete with labels - perfect for those nights when you're thinking "What exactly IS that really bright blob in the sky?!" The application store has literally thousands of applications so you can find one for every area of your life (for example, I've just come back from holiday where I used it to download a flight checker to keep track of my plane, and also an Italian translation dictionary), and of course lots of games for when you just want to waste time on the train too.

The phone is very, very easy to use. The functions just make sense, and it's extremely responsive. The keyboard seems somewhat psychic in times with it's auto correct function - I can type in something where I didn't get a single letter right and eerily the phone still correctly guesses what I actually meant to put. A slight problem is that this can sometimes put in some very bizarre words that you don't notice until you've actually sent the message (this morning it decided that I didn't REALLY mean to exclaim "hoorah!" but I actually meant to say "Torah!") but that doesn't happen enough to be a problem. The text message view is good - it displays both sides of the conversation and also lists photos alongside. If you have it synced to facebook it automatically puts their facebook picture in. You can also alter it a bit - for example, I don't really care enough to want to look back over thousands of pages of a conversation, so I have it set to allow each conversation to get to 20 replies before it starts deleting the older ones. I also use my phone a lot for email - I use gmail, and the messages are automatically pushed to my phone. This happens instantly, so I sometimes have to turn the wifi off if I'm on my laptop as otherwise I get both my computer and my phone yelling at me about new email at the exact same time!

The internet on the phone is also very good and easy to use - it functions in a similar way to the iphone where you can move the screen about and push your fingers furthera part to zoom in, etc etc. Personally I find the internet much faster than on iphones. The quality is excellent, and I often use it to watch the bbc iplayer when on the train in the mornings. The phone also has an FM radio which is easily used, however it uses the headphones as an aerial which can mean sometimes I'm sitting on the train in a very odd position as I try and hold it up in a way that it accepts!

The camera on the phone is good quality. It has a good flash and a good variety of settings to take photos in different styles, etc. The best thing about it is that it allows you to immediatley upload your photos to the internet. In my case I use it to send pictures straight to facebook, but if you have an account on a site such as flickr you can use it for that too. The photo gallery is good and easy to look through, and I have it set up so that my home page has different photos I've taken rotating through it.

I suppose I'm missing the main function of a phone - to, well, phone people! This is easily done. I have it set up on my favourites page to let me click people and automatically call them, and it's easy to search and find people. The phone quality is really great, but I'm much more of a texter!

Of course, with all this, the battery life is going to last you forever. With that being said, I am quite impressed with the length of time it lasts. I generally charge it at night every other day, which I think is pretty good going considering! But please note that I keep the screen on maximum brightness, text constantly, and listen to music and go on facebook with it multiple times a day - if you aren't such a heavy user, it will obviously last you longer.

This phone is really the best phone I've had and I use it for absolutely everything. I'd definitley recommend it to anyone. If you're up to date with your technology then you'll love all that this phone has to offer, and if you're new to the smart phone market you'll love how easy to pick up and use and customize it is.

• JasonJRogers published 07/03/2011
    Fab review!
  • AnneLorraine1 published 18/09/2010
    super review
  • catsholiday published 18/09/2010
    A really great review - they are expensive aren't they?

offers "HTC Desire"