Chrisr200... 5

Chrisr2006

Member since:10.10.2006

The Fantastic HTC HD2

04.06.2010 (09.06.2010)

Advantages:
Massive clear screen, tons of apps, hacks and tweaks to make the phone as you wabt it

Disadvantages:
On heavy usage only one day from the battery, a few bugs but depends on device

Look & Feel

6 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. Soho_Black
  3. sandemp

The HD2 is my first HTC device, but certainly not my first touch device or Windows Mobile device; It wont be my last HTC device but I doubt I would go much bigger for the screen size, I think 4.3" is plenty big enough for when it comes to a phone!!

The HD2 operates on Windows Mobile 6.5, which is the most up to date version currently available, Personally my HD2 uses Windows 6.5.5 which means that instead of the start button being in the top left hand corner which is a little hard to reach when using only 1 hand unless you have very thumbs so my start button is in the bottom left hand corner which I find much easier!!

Now one thing I keep hearing is the phone as a major lag, the phone always freezes, rubbish reception but for me none of them are true, I live in the UK and most of the time I have the little H in taskbar meaning I have HSDPA which is a boosted 3G.
I have had my HD2 since October and I have never had this so called lag but yes a few times the phone as froze but with the amount of apps and files I have on it I would feeze too!
afterall it is a little pc and lost people from time to time will of had an issue with there computer!

I personally never had any issues with texts staying in the outbox but I did have the pink colour in the middle of the pictures but it was very easily fixed by going to the HTC website and downloading the HotFix!!

One thing which I found out was with most my other phones i would turn them off at night when I sleep to save on battery but when doing this with my HD2 the alarm does not go off, for the alarm to go off you need the phone on so now I just put the phone on flight mode!

for me the standby is excellent, if I had my phone in standy and I never used it i would get approx 410 hours out of it, in standby my phone uses 3mhA and I have a 1230mhA battery, at 1st the battery life was shocking so i also bought a 1500mhA battery off Ebay for £5
its when the phone is used the battery really gets used, surfing the web uses approx 250mhA so thats 250 per hour out of the 1230OEM battery so you can see its approx 5hours none stop usage but I personally think 5 hours surfing the net is great, my macbook dies after 2hours!!!!
with the spare battery in my pocket I NEVER have a probelm!!

Video quality is amazing, Use MPEG4 and VGA 640x480 for the best quality and trust me it very good quality, my phone came with a 2gb external SD Card but an 8 works just as good, not too sure about the 16gb and 32gb, 202mb internal memory, with a whopping 1Ghz snapdragon CPU and 487mb Ram and 512mb ROM but again I use an hack that gives me the full 512mb RAM and US users can use the hack to get the full 1GB RAM, lucking buggers!!!

Music is great, use the audio booster to really improve sounds but this means you have to select it each time you start listening to music so me personally I use an application called SRS WOW which lets you change the setting phone headphones and internal speaker and stays that way all the time so no need to activate it each time you listen to music!!

On board, there is all the tech you would expect, such as Bluetooth, Wifi, and aGPS., google apps, love the GPS navigation system too

From day one I used a screen protector for my phone and I just took it off and I am in france at the moment and with it being very sunny wow fingers prints are really showing up leaving me to always having to clean the screen but with the plastic screen protector they did not show up half as much!!

One thing I would say about changing but its personal perference is on the main screen you see 3 big quick links and when you swipe up with the finger is shows 3x3 quick links, now 9 is good but if you install Cookies Home Tab it gives you the option to have 5x5, personally I have 4x5 and with the app you can have as many pages of quick links as you like, I have 4 so that's 80 quick links ans so far I have a page spare!!

now many say the screen is too sensitive and it does take a little getting used to but if you install Swipe then when sending any sort of message be it an email or text you do not have to worry because you wont be tapping the keys, what you do is swipe from one to the next and so on so no need to worry about it being to sensitive and I will say its amazing how it gets the word right 99% of the time and if its not sure a box pops up with multiple words and you select the word, really a great application!

The phone comes with a number of built in applications. These include a Facebook application. HTC Peep, which is a Twitter application. I don't use Twitter personally, but from what I have seen of the application, people who do should find this very useful. Footprints is also included. This allows you to take a photo of a landmark, attach a voice recording, text and GPS co-ordinates. It's like creating a little scrapbook on your phone, and is a very good idea! HTC also include their Stock and Weather applications. I have no need for the Stock application personally, and I find the weather, whilst very visually pleasing! The phone also comes with a very good YouTube application.
Bare in mind for the battery life, Facebook is set to download data every 2hours but I deselect that and download when i need it and same for the weather, its another application that will use your battery life!!

The phone includes Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint, etc), and Windows Live Messenger and with the big screen its very easy to sit and write and long document with word and then you can easily send via email.
you can set the email to check ever 2hours, 1 hour, 30min, 15,10 and 5mins but personally I use push email which gives me the email as soon as the person sends it and for battery life its better to have the emails only when they are sent rather than the phone checking every 10 or 15mins for nothing!!
I use Googlemail as my email but if you login to windows live which is one of the applications then it will also put the hotmail account as an email address!!

The HD2 has a 5 MP camera, which is hardly revolutionary in this day and age, but the camera quality is good, and has a number of options to customise the images. It also records in VGA at 30 fps, which generates good results.
I have seen an hack that makes it into a 7 MP camera but for me the size of pictures are too big, I am quite happy with it set to 1MP, you may think thats crazy but 1MP is still a very good picture so lonf as you set it to super fine also

another applications is a must is BSB Tweaks, opens up different setting in the video and all sorts of other great things!!

Web browsing is very good. You have a choice of either Opera, or Internet Explorer. Each has it's own advantage, You can navigate through multiple tabs, as well and 'pinch to zoom' being available. Out of the 2 Opera is the better but download Skyfire for free and then with that you can watch online videos which you cant do with the other 2 because it usually says need flash player, so with a data plan or WIFI you can sit and watch as many movies as you like, including BBC iPlayer, but this takes a couple of setting to be changed so if you did want your Eastenders fix and was away from your telly then download myplayer and you can watch all the shows you want from all BBC channels for FREE!!!!!!

I think that is it, the phone is fantastic, easily the best phone I have had but it did come to this phone from the Samsung Tocco and LG Pop so no comparison really
it really is your little portable PC and like i said even if you use it none stop your going to get a lot of usage out of it and with the massive 4.3" screen I personally think its fantastic and I would much rather have this over an iPhone which I have used of my friends any day!!!

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!!

Suavilous 04.06.2010 19:25

Great review. I have the HTC desire which I absolutely love. Was going to get this but was just too big.

dynamicnurse 04.06.2010 12:47