Review of "Hacksaw Ridge (DVD)"

published 11/10/2017 | NBCMad92
Member since : 23/11/2015
Pro Remarkable Story Of Amazing Man, Garfield Is Amazing, Vaughn Shines, Amazing Battle Scene
Cons Difficult To Understand Strong Accents
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Why Do We Never Learn About These Brave Men"

Hacksaw Ridge (DVD)

Hacksaw Ridge (DVD)

I love Andrew Garfield. I had a little obsession with him back in the day and bought loads of his movies. I think he is an amazing actor and he is very versatile in his work. I've never been one for war movies, that is more my father but when I saw Garfield was in it, I wanted to watch it. I got the DVD and ordered daddy dearest to watch it with me and I was blown away by how amazing it was.

==I will be explaining the entire plot because this movie is based on true events==

Crew

Director: Mel Gibson (Passion of the Christ)

Producers: Bill Mechanic (Coraline), David Permut (Youth in Revolt (Everest) & William D. Johnson

Writers: Robert Schenkkan (All the Way) & Andrew Knight (My Brother Jack)

Music: Rupert Gregson-Williams (The Crown)

Cinematography: Simon Duggan (Killer Elite)

Editor: John Gilbert (Crush)

Additional Information

Language: English

Running time: 139 minutes

Budget: $40 million

Box office: $175.3 million

Tagline: "One of the greatest heroes in American history never fired a bullet"

Cast

Andrew Garfield as Desmond Doss (The Social Network)

Vince Vaughn as Sergeant Howell (The Cell)

Sam Worthington as Captain Jack Glover (Avatar)

Luke Bracey as Smitty Ryker (The November Man)

Hugo Weaving as Tom Doss, Desmond's father (The Lord of the Rings franchise)

Ryan Corr as Lieutenant Manville (Wolf Creek 2)

Teresa Palmer as Dorothy Schutte, Desmond's wife (Light's Out)

Rachel Griffiths as Bertha Doss, Desmond's mother (Six Free Under)

Richard Roxburgh as Colonel Stelzer (Moulin Rouge)

Luke Pegler as Milt "Hollywood" Zane (See No Evil)

Richard Pyros as Randall "Teach" Fuller (Hamlet (2007))

Ben Mingay as Grease Nolan (Home and Away)

Firass Dirani as Vito Rinnelli (The Combination)

Damien Thomlinson as Ralph Morgan

Matt Nable as Lt. Colonel Cooney (Killer Elite)

Robert Morgan as Colonel Sangston (The Proposition)

Nathaniel Buzolic as Harold "Hal" Doss, Desmond's brother (The Vampire Diaries)

Plot

Private Doss, you are free to run into the hellfire of battle without a single weapon to protect yourself.

Desmond Doss is a Seventh-day Adventist. He enlists in the military to work as a combat medic. However, due to his religious beliefs, he does not wish to carry a weapon and does not want to kill people "Thous Shall Not Kill". He refuses to train on Saturdays and does not even train with a gun, he will not even touch one. His officials try to discharge him under the grounds of mental health but this is not accepted. Doss, once the top of his group, now suffers in an attempt for him to leave of his own choice but he refuses to give in to the torment that he is being put under. He is soon put in jail and faces trail against the army. Much to everyone's plea for him to plead guilty and leave, he refuses. The charges against him are soon dropped and he is allowed to go into battle without carrying a weapon to protect him.

Doss' unit are sent to Okinawa (Hacksaw Ridge) where the Japanese army are waiting for them. The battle is a bloodbath with the American's being unable to push through the Japanese forces. Doss runs into the battlefield under heavy fire and carries the wounded to the edge where they are lifted down. Soon the American army is able to defeat the Japanese in order to gain control of Hacksaw Ridge.

Doss' bravery commits him to save the lives of 75 soldiers. He is awarded the Medal of Honor by President Harry S. Truman.

Story

This is a truly amazing story of an extremely brave man. It really bothers me that we do not hear about men like this during the war. We hear about the main people and events, Hitler, Churchill, Pearl Harbor, Holocaust etc. but what about the men like this. This man went into battle, without a gun or weapon, ran into battle, under fire of bullets and absolutely risking his life and saved 75 men! How many people have you heard of that have gone to war without a gun and lived? None! This man is remarkable and history teachers should definitely teach more about men like this whose stories should be heard.

I think the story is brilliant and the way it was done and filmed was amazing. How much of the smaller story-lines are true I do not know e.g. Doss' father having PTSD through his war experiences. However, I think the way these smaller story-lines was done was brilliant. It didn't take away from the story that we intended to see and they were not too long that it took anything away and not too short that it was pointless to have in the movie. I loved seeing this man's life from before he went into the army.

I don't know a lot about America's history in regards of the war but this movie really captured what America did. The way it was filmed was really gripping and I was on the edge of my seat watching the battle for Hacksaw Ridge. Although it was quite bloody, the blood and gore was not the main focus and therefore, this didn't take away from the actual plot. I think there was just enough to make the audience understand how violent war is, but not too much that it become almost a horror movie. I think the way that Gibson filmed this was really good.

This movie had a quick pace and it kept me involved and interested. There weren't any parts of the movie that I thought were small or necessary as everything seemed important to the story. However, saying this, I liked how the main focus of the plot was based on Hacksaw Ridge. Although it is good that we saw other parts of Doss' life, the main chunk of the story was based where it is intended which I think is good. I'm never too keen on a movie where half the plot is based other places and we only get a small snippet of what the story is actually about.

The only negative I can find is in some parts of the movie, I found it difficult to understand what the characters were saying. One part in particular was when Doss and Smitty are in the foxhole. I understand they are meant to be quiet but to me, they were so quiet and their accents so strong that I could not hear what they were saying.

Characters & Performances

I love Garfield and this film was no exception to that role. I think he is remarkable and he is able to envelop any character and create something magnificent. Although I don't know much about the real Desmond Doss, I like the way that Garfield played him. He was innocent and sweet yet powerful when he stood up for his beliefs. I love the relationship between him and Palmer (Dorothy). I liked watching their story develop at the beginning of the movie, I think they worked really well together to make a couple who was believable.

Vaughn as Sargent Howell really surprised me in his role. I have only seen Vaughn in comedies so it shocked me when I realised he was playing a serious role. It did throw me a little bit because I kept expecting to laugh but he was serious and mean and I think he done this character really well. He was your typical military Sargent who was stern and cold and non-understanding and he did this fantastically.

Weaving as Doss' father was great in his role. I really felt sympathy for him going through PTSD and I think he played this good. He didn't take it too far to the point where it was unbelievable and the relationship he had with Garfield worked well on screen.

All the actors and performances in this movie were fantastic and I think they all worked well together to make this a brilliant movie.

Special Effects

The special effects of this movie were incredible. I haven't seen a lot of war films as they aren't really my cup of tea but the battle scene was amazing to watch. It felt realistic and as if the audience was their during this scene with the characters. The explosions were brilliant and the gunfire and smoke worked well to give the battle feel. The blood and loss of limps again were not the crucial part of the story and this was not the main focus but when we did see it, it looked amazing.

Music

The music worked well with the feel of the movie. I cannot really remember there being any definite music during the battle scenes but I think this worked. Having no loud dominating music during the battle scene gives the audience the feel that it is real as there would be no music or backing track if this was actually happening.

The ending music was really sobering and light-hearted. I like how the movie ended on this sobering light note.

Special Features

I must say, I am a little disappointed at the special features of this movie. There wasn't a lot to choose from and most of it was information that you can find online. I would have liked there to have been a little documentary on Doss or of making the movie but unfortunately, there was only some deleted scenes and small snippets of information to read.

Thoughts

This is truly an amazing film about a remarkable man who risked his life without a weapon to defend himself to save people who doubted him. The performances are amazing to watch and the battles are inspiring. I would definitely recommend this film to everyone who asks me about it.

Cost & Where To Buy

I purchased the DVD in Tesco for £10 but it is now currently £7 at Tesco and HMV online. The Blu-ray coming in at under £10.

===Other Reviews==
IMDB: 8.2/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

The Guardian: 3/5

"Hacksaw Ridge is an old-fashioned war film, melded with a kind of new-fashioned explicitly violent drama." - Guardian

"Mel Gibson's Hacksaw Ridge is one of the best Second World War movies since Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line. It is also a wildly contradictory affair, combining folksiness with a pathological quality." - Independent (UK)

"Occasionally soapy on the homefront but cataclysmic in combat, this is a worthy addition to the WWII canon." - Empire Magazine

"Vintage Mel-odrama." - Financial Times

Thanks for reading my review,

• euphie published 16/10/2017
    e :o)
  • jb0077 published 16/10/2017
    An E from me.
  • tumblraddict published 12/10/2017
    Excellent review!

offers "Hacksaw Ridge (DVD)"