Halifax

Review of "Halifax"

published 31/03/2002 | 7sefton
Member since : 28/06/2001
Satisfactory
Pro Well known, large product range/branch network and good adverts(!)
Cons Incompetent, unbelievably arrogant and most savings rates could be beaten
Efficiency of service
Competitiveness of charges/rates
Staff courtesy
Promptness of service
Online - Content/organization of site

"I Hate the Halifax"

I have been with the Halifax for many years, and it has been mistake after mistake and scam after scam. This hasn't just been since floatation, in my view it is culture at the Halifax to manipulate the customer into making the worst choice.

I missed out on thousands of a windfall with the Halifax (then Building Society) when it DM after 15 years of loyal custom because they 'helped' me review my finances and change my accounts to ones which didn't offer membership status.

I have been reduced to tears in my branch twice in the past two years after they threatened me over the counter with the police and credit blacklisting in front of a packed branch over a £76 overdraft. They then told me if I wrote 'a very nice letter to the area manager they might over look the matter in this instance'.

The staff be-littled me constantly.

Their arrogance and crude greed has been EXTRAordinary, both with my personal affairs and national outrages such as the flip-board scandal, the mortgage robbery and other matters.

Since Birmingham Midshires was taken over I am sad that this once helpful institution has went down the drain too. I recently closed all my accounts connected with Halifax (inc. BM and Clerical Medical) and sent a letter of legal complaint by Recorded Delivery. Guess what - no reply 3 months on.

Never in my life have I ever delt with such a distant and incompetent institution.

• daveops published 06/02/2003
    Not a lot of info given. A bit harsh to include the flipchart, as if you read between the lines this was a case of an organisation training its staff to sell a product to people it would benefit! A Direct Account (eg telephone/internet only) isn't much use to those who want to pay cash in!
  • Jhone published 26/05/2002
    May I suggest that you use a Customer Relations departments or Customer Care department when you have a complaint against a company. Large companies like the Halifax have to answer customer complaints from people who are dissatisfied with the service that they have received. I am sorry that I found your opinion so negative.
  • seagulls-lost-horizon published 31/03/2002
    I'm stunned to hear this, our branch has always been very good and extremely helpfull, they dsent us a letter because of somthing or other and wanted to charge us, it was there fault, we went in and not a problem they canceled the charge without a question. But then I've heard great things about shop in places where i hate the one near us. Had to gave a helpfull because there isn't much detail about the bank itself, but its something to keep in mind. steve

Product Information : Halifax