Hama Audio cable 1.5 m (00048912)

Review of "Hama Audio cable 1.5 m (00048912)"

published 05/12/2016 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
The game is over. Time to move onwards and upwards. Feel free to have a cursory glance at my reviews. The rates, comments and competition wins are appreciated, as are the friendships formed because of the site.
Pro Good quality and durable, trusted brand, affordable.
Cons There are better methods of connectivity.
Sound Quality
Looks & Design

"Hama Audio Cable"

First impressions

There are so many cables out there and often we do not know that there is a cable out there that we would find useful. Take the Hama Audio Cable, for example. This is a cable capable of connecting your portable audio player, such as an MP3 player or smartphone, to your car audio system. Just imagine being able to access your iTunes library on your car audio system, you will never need to buy a CD again for the car! I understand that so many car audio systems are capable of connecting via Bluetooth or USB, but many older systems are not, and a lot of stock audio systems are very basic, especially on vehicles that were not made in the last few years. Bluetooth is nothing new, though it wasn’t an option that car manufacturers felt added value to the vehicles they sold, and with costs involved they didn’t used to bother. These days it is essential.

The Hama brand is one that I have bought from for many years now. I have a few Hama cables, though I have also bought their storage cases for mobile phones and digital cameras, and they produce so many different accessories for your devices, this is a brand worth taking a closer look at if you are not familiar with them.

My experience

The cable is very simple, and there is no getting away from this. You can buy the same type of cable from other brands with a braided cable, and although this looks good and is often available in a large range of colours the durability is often compromised. I don’t mind some braided cables, but for this one to just sit in the car I don’t mind that it is a durable plain black cable that serves a purpose. It doesn’t need to look good, but you can tell that it is a quality item due to the appearance of the connectors. We have the same male connector at either end of the cable, and this is a 3.5mm male jack.

The black cable is of a reasonable length at 1.5metres. You might think this is a bit short for your needs, but in the car I find it a bit too long if anything, though I just have it tied in a loop with a plastic coated metal tie. When you compare the length of this cable to a lot of other audio cables you will find that it is of a fair length. If it was 50cm in length it would actually be better for my needs, but I don’t mind the added length, especially if you happen to find yourself in the passenger seat with someone else driving, and you are responsible for the music.

You can simply plug the cable into your smartphone and car stereo headphone jack and you are ready to go. Music can be played though your audio device (MP3 player or phone, for example), and you instantly have a connection to a full set of speakers in the car, as opposed to the tiny speaker in the mobile device. Some may argue that sound quality is much improved, though it depends on the mobile device you have.

I will have to admit that there are better connections available to us. Bluetooth is obviously a good starting point, and a USB connection would be another connection giving you better clarity than the 3.5mm jack. I think that whilst this connection is acceptable there are better options available to us, though circumstances sometimes dictate that this is a good solution when no other alternatives are available to us. Not all mobile devices have Bluetooth, though even fewer car audio systems do. This is a simple connection to boost the music you have available to you when you are on a long journey to the coast with friends etc. This is not something I would use longer term, though I have had the cable a while but only use it from time to time as most of my journeys are very short.

Price and availability

Prices can vary quite a bit, though it is worth noting that it pays to buy a good quality item over a cheap Chinese cable. The Hama Audio Cable we have here will set you back around a fiver, though be careful of imitations, with some sellers on sites such as eBay trying to pass cheap cables off as genuine Hama items. Buy from a trusted source such as a genuine retailer. Other similar quality cables retail at anywhere from a fiver to £10+ and Hama are known for producing quality products at affordable prices.

Final thoughts

Although the uses to the product are limited it is still a very handy cable to have to hand. I own a few of these, though I am sure I misplace this cable more frequently than other audio cables that I have, possibly due to the low price and simplicity of the product. The cable from Hama resides in the car, fitting into the headphone jacks on both my smartphone and car stereo. The sound quality is what it is, but although you are making a compromise on the clarity you can achieve a better surround sound experience through the car stereo, with multiple speakers throughout the vehicle. This is a must-have for anyone that doesn’t have the luxury of Bluetooth on their car stereo, though most new cars come with Bluetooth capabilities these days.

• MrsWilkes published 13/12/2016
    vh
  • 2mennycds published 08/12/2016
    vh
  • RICHADA published 06/12/2016
    Now there's a thing! I ordered a 0.5 metre one of these on Amazon this morning, Mrs R has finally got fed up of the crackling on my old one in the car! R.