Capacity: 140 CD/DVD

Review of "Hama Media Box 140 - storage media box"

published 31/12/2014 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro Easy to construct, durable, lightweight, holds 140 discs, affordable.
Cons None!
Reliability
Ease of Use

"Hama impressed again"

First impressions

I have had a fair bit of experience of the Hama brand over the years. I would say that when it comes to media storage and accessories for the laptop/Home PC or mobile phone I find this brand is always the place to turn when looking for something. I think that if you trust a brand then you will always have a bias towards the products they sell, though this makes sense really.

Here we have the Hama Media Box 140. The '140' represents the fact that you can store 140 CD's in the box and I will start off with describing the inside of the box. When you remove the lid of this box you will find 140 sleeves which hold each CD safely on its own. You will not need to worry about the safe storage of your prized collection because there will be no fear of discs rubbing against one another. With the lid you can also rest assured that your collection will not be covered in dust when you do come around to looking for a disc.

The box itself and the lid are made from plastic. You really would expect this product to be made from stiff cardboard, wouldn't you? Fortunately, due to the fact that this plastic is thin but still strong it is both lightweight and durable - a win-win situation! I suppose it also keeps the cost down. To the end of the box you will notice a small area where you can write some information about the contents of the box. This could be extremely useful if you have a number of these boxes, though as they are available in a range of colours you could colour code everything.

Overall I am impressed with the looks of the box. It is lightweight and durable and to finish the lid off we have a polished metal finish to the metallic trim around the edge of the lid. The polished metal studs holding the box together are also a nice finishing touch.

My experience

When you buy this product you will realise that you must construct it yourself. This is just a five minute job, and in no time at all you will your very own storage box for your CD collection. Obviously if you have a DVD collection or enjoy computer games you could use this box for those, though the fact this box is flat-packed means you can store it away very easily if you choose not to use it all the time. It packs away neatly, though once built and holding discs it is very strong and durable whilst being lightweight.

I have owned this box for a number of years now, though I am not in and out of it all the time. I would say it has had average use, though it always stores a number of discs from my collection that I do not have cases for. I do have some spare disc cases but this storage box could mean you are able to discard hard plastic cases if you are really pushed for space.

When you consider the cost of other disc storage solutions you may be pleasantly surprised at the cost of this storage box, though I will discuss that shortly. Once you push all of the press-studs together and build the box you may have the opinion that this is not such a temporary solution after all. I did buy this box thinking it would do for short term use and for unwanted discs that I wanted to store but didn't want to give much space to. Due to the positive experience I have had I now use it for some of my CD's which I use on the Home PC and also for PC games and the like. It is very useful to have this storage box around the Home PC.

Price and availability

Looking online it really is wroth shopping around. prices range from around £12 to £20, so have a look before committing to buying it. Also, it is worth looking at all the different colours tis box is available in. A very quick look online meant I could only find it in blue and black, though there are others available if you take your time. Good stationery stores may sell this product.

Final thoughts

Overall I am very impressed with this Hama product. Yet again this company has not let me down and I am able to recommend this product without hesitation. The Hama brand is one that I turn to a lot these days, though I do still use other brands because although Hama produce such a wide range of goods they do not make every single thing!

I would definitely buy this product again if I were looking for a storage solution for discs. It would be ideal for someone with a large disc collection and perhaps if you buy re-writable discs that do not come in their own cases this could be a great piece of kit.

• pinky50 published 01/01/2015