Hama Star 63 Tripod

Hama Star 63 Tripod

Review of "Hama Star 63 Tripod"

published 14/02/2011 | Strawberry_123
Member since : 07/02/2011
Pro Cheap, robust, sturdy
Cons May not be suitable for professional work
Size
Batterylife
Weight

"Awesome Tripod for Beginners"

I bought this tripod in 2009 when I was studying Media at A-Level. I needed a sturdy tripod to use in the outdoor environment because I needed to film on cliff faces! As this was a really amateur project, the camcorder I used was a Panasonic SDR-S70. I do not pretend to know everything about filming and photography equipment, so forgive me if I can not elaborate on some of the points I raise in this review, so here goes a beginners guide to the Hama Star 63 tripod:

-PERFORMANCE AND DESIGN-

The tripod is made from aluminium so it is really lightweight and therefore easy to carry around. My tripod has had a fair bit of use over the two years, indoor and outdoor, and there's not a single bit of damage on the frame, which shows how robust the aluminium material is. It is slightly copper in colour, which isn't a bad thing! It actually makes it look better quality!

A major plus is that it is VERY STURDY. The picture quality of my filming was second to none. The tripod also comes with the standard spirit level, so you know that your picture will always be straight. The top of the tripod, where you rest the camera on, is made of durable-plastic. I have dropped my tripod once before and it hardly makes a mark! This part also comes with a 'gear-stick' so it is easy to make smooth movements whilst filming. It can be tilted up and down as well as left and right, although I'm sure you expect that from a tripod!

The tripod has rubber feet on the end, which came in really handy when used on rough surfaces, giving the tripod much better grip. There is a hook on the back to weigh the tripod down more or merely just to hang your belongings on!

There are three legs in total, and they extend more than I need. I am only 5ft 4 in height, but my taller friends have no problems with the height of the tripod! It would suit people around 6ft tall no problem.

The tripod also comes with its own carrying case with a strap so you can carry it on your shoulders. Therefore it is really easy to manoeuvre if you are walking around whilst shooting.

-SET UP-

The first time I used the tripod I was surprised at how little time it took to work out how everything interacted. Even without the instructions it is obvious how the tripod works! It is just a case of extending and tightening. Therefore I would highly recommend this for beginners like me!

-TECHNICAL DETAILS -

Folded length: 66cm
Maximum operating height: 166cm
Weight: 1.74kg

-PRICE-

When I originally bought the tripod, Amazon.co.uk were selling it for around £29.99, which was a real bargain at the time! It now sells for a mere £17.06, since Hama Star have bought out newer models, to rival the 63. Google has also informed me that 7dayshop.com sell this tripod slightly cheaper at £15.99.

-CONCLUSION-

I give this tripod 5/5 easily! If you want a cheap, sturdy tripod that is easy to set up and use, the Hama Star 63 is the best option. Really happy with my purchase.

Thank you for reading. This review also appears on DooYoo under the username: strawberry_123

• lilloulfc published 14/02/2011
    nice read :)
  • JasonJRogers published 14/02/2011
    Great read!

offers "Hama Star 63 Tripod"

Product Information : Hama Star 63 Tripod

Hama is committed to developing and delivering products that achieve the highest performance at a most competitive price, within easy reach of everybody. Hama has dedicated manufacturing facilities and partners all over the world to meet the needs of all its customers for years to come. PRODUCT FEATURES: 3D pan and tilt head with quick release plate; 3 section quick release legs and radial leg bracing; Crank driven central column; Rubber feet; Complete with carrying case; 26.7mm diameter aluminum legs; Closed length is 66cm; Fully extended length is 166cm; Holds up to 4 kgs.

Listed on Ciao since: 19/08/2005