Review of "Hammerite Paint-Hammered"

published 03/10/2006 | skrg28
Member since : 07/09/2004
Pro Tough, good quality, range of colours, easy to get good finish
Cons NONE

"Hammerite Hammered, hard as NAILS"

Hammerite Hammered finish offers the same qualities as the smooth but gives you that extra finish that looks like it is more industrial and hard wearing.

You'll pay around the £4.99 mark in the store for a 250ml can. Larger sizes of 500, 750 and 2.5 litres are also available but this gets a little more expensive. I have seen the stuff on our well known auction site for less so it is possible get it cheaper.

I would say the hammered finish paint is a lot thicker than the smooth version and as such it is a little harder to use. However, with the paint being so thick it is virtually impossible to miss bits or not cover the areas your painting properly.

The main thing I like about the hammered finish is that when it dries it obviously leaves a hammered finish. This means that it is very difficult to see any brush strokes once you have applied it. This is more of a bonus when you r using the lighter colours for more obvious jobs around the house and home. I used it to paint up the telephone pipe which the builders decided would be nice to have right next to my front door. Painting it the same colour as the house seems to hide it well.

I while back I purchased a used VW polo. It came with a set of Alloy wheels which to be honest had seen better days. Rather than go down the costly road of a refurb I decided to use Hammered silver on them. No brush marks was the obvious advantage along with the toughness of the paint, something that I was going to need on the wheels of a car. A while later the job was done. The original wheels displayed numerous kerb marks and corrosion stains. On completion they looked as good as new and it was difficult to tell that they had actually been painted by hand. Many miles later the wheels still retained that superior finish.

I have also used this to paint up the door handles on my house which were suffering a bit from chips and marks from constant use. To date the paint is holding up quite well and looking good all round.

There are a vast selection of colours available; black, copper, dark blue, deep green, gold, grey, light blue, mid green, silver grey and white. The colours provide an effective choice for all uses without being to over the top. I would say that they are subtle shades rather than in your face ones. There are a few other popular makes out there that are also quite good but the colours tens to be to overpowering and obvious to be used frequently and be on show.

As with the smooth you need to prepare the surface of the bear metal prior to painting anything, a good wire brush is the best thing for this or even a scotch pad on the lighter jobs. If you have an overly rusty surface then I tend to use the Hammerite anti rust solution prior to painting. It's a rare occasion that I ever have to apply a second coat of paint. Perhaps the odd time when your painting on to a light surface with a dark colour but not often,

Letting the paint dry can vary depending on how thick you apply it. I generally leave it up to 24 hours to get that tough finish. Sometimes leaving it less than that the paint can still be a bit tacky. I think this is a longer wait than as described on the tin but it is worth it to get that superior finish.

Cleaning the brush after use is like most Hammerite paints…a pain. You must use the Hammerite thinners or basically you won't be able to clean the brush. This stuff is quite costly but probably worth the money unless you like throwing away good brushes.

I would rate this paint well above the other main metal paints on the market. You get a top notch finish at a reasonable price and always achieve what you set out to do. I don't bother to buy other paints now as Hammerite just does the job. It doesn't stop at painting metal either. I have made some changes to plastics and wood and found that the paint seems to stick just as well as the metal.

• Sally_Tims published 04/10/2006
    Great review there. x
  • IanM73 published 03/10/2006
    I have painted a metal fence with this, seems to have worked well. Ian
  • ciaomeister1 published 03/10/2006
    Sounds good, I hadn't heard of it before.