Review of "Happy Pet Migrator Pheasant Dog Toy"

published 13/02/2016 | daylehall
Member since : 02/07/2004
Happy New Year everyone :-)
Pro Makes a unique noise which doesnt get annoying, my dogs love it
Cons Does tend to rip apart when played with roughly
Length of interest
Safety

"Pleasant Pheasant"

It was recently my dog Dax's 11th birthday. As well as getting him some exra special snacks for his big day, I also thought it would be nice to get him a toy. Before we had children I used to regularly buy my hounds soft toys to play with but Dax does tend to systematically destroy his toys and over the past few years we havent replaced the ones he has ruined. The Happy Pet Migrator Pheasant dog toy is a toy that I have probably bought at least 10 times and I cannot explain how thrilled he was to receive one again for his birthday this year!

The Pheasant
The pheasant is a soft toy and to be honest could even pass for a child's teddy. The pheasant itself is very realistic looking and is not at all tacky like some of the 'rubber chicken' toys you can get which personally I think are awful.
Keeping in theme with the natural look of a pheasant, the head is mostly dark green with a beige stripe down the middle and then the eyes are outlined in red. The pheasant also has small feet which are a grey sort of colour. The beak of the pheasant is brown.
The pheasant has a squeaker inside the main body of the toy which lets out a quacking sort of noise. This is also one of my favourite dog toys as the sound it makes is not offensive and does not become annoying when my dogs set it off a hundred times in a row when they want me to play with them.

Price
I bought this Duck from Pet's At Home where it cost me £5.99. I have also seen them for sale on eBay but they are about the same price and then you have to pay postage on top of that.

Range
A company called Happy Pets produce these toys and there are currently four in their range including this pheasant, a swan, a duck and a goose.

What My Dog's Think Of The Pheasant
This is one of my dogs favourite toys. They bring it over to me and use it the same way they would a ball, me throwing it, and them collecting it and bringing it back. Dax takes great delight in holding the feet or beak of the duck and shaking it as hard as he can in the 'killing motion' that most dog owner’s will be familiar with.
Again, Dax enjoys squeezing the toy over and over, I think he enjoys the sound it makes and it's a good job that I do too as the noise could become very annoying like some of their other toys that let off a high pitched squeaking noise.
This pheasant toy would be great for puppies as I can imagine that it would really help them when they are teething and gives them something to chew on. Unfortunately these were not out on the market when my two were puppies. My youngest dog Josh enjoy ramming as much of the pheasant as possible into his mouth and sucking it, as well as throwing it up into the air and chomping on it to make it squeak.

The Downside Of The Pheasant
Although this is one of mine and my dogs favourite toys, it does of course have its downsides. Where my dogs like to play amongst themselves with their toys (often one dog at each end of the toy and yanking with all their might to see who will get the toy) and where Dax enjoys holding the duck by its tail or its feet (basically any weak spot that he can find) and shaking it like mad, the pheasant of course tends to fall apart.
I'm pretty sure that Dax enjoys trying to find the sqeaker/quacker inside the toy as the moment he finds a hole in the toy, he will burrow his nose inside and pull all the stuffing out until he has found the squeaker, which he them removes and chews.
As I mentioned earlier, I have bought this toy several times and previously the pheasant probably lasted all of a month before they managed to rip a hole in it. If we notice the hole, we do of course repair it but it does tend to rip open again, normally meaning that we have to go and buy another toy - which isn't cheap at £5.99 each. Hence why we stopped replacing them when they broke for a while.
The other slight downside of the is that the material can get a bit soggy and smelly (this is probably only in my house due to the fact that Dax will take the toys outside and drag it through any mud/dirt that he can find!) This isn't really much of a problem though as the toy is washable.

Summary
I would definitely recommend this toy. I do think it is a little overpriced at £5.99 but my dogs really do enjoy the unique sound that this toy makes. I like the fact that the toy can be washed as well meaning that it doesn't become dirty and smelly. The toy is big enough for my two dogs to play with the toy amongst themselves (leaving me in peace!) and can be used in a variety of ways.
The only downside is that the toy does split open meaning the owner either has to constantly keep sewing the toy up, or buy a new one.

• hiker published 11/03/2016