Hardys Stamp Semillon / Chardonnay 2007/08

Hardys Stamp Semillon / Chardonnay 2007/08

Review of "Hardys Stamp Semillon / Chardonnay 2007/08"

published 16/12/2003 | maklhouf
Member since : 20/06/2003
I've been on Ciao a few years and had a lot of hostile comments when I began. It's interesting, to look over them now, especially , after I read a Ciao announcement, pleading with members to be nicer to new recruits. Hmm ...
Pro Should be excellent with fish
Cons Not great on its own

"... Or this."

I did not get a good look at the label on this Hardy's Chardonnay, owing to the difficulty and probable social death that might have followed on my trying to prise the bottle from the barman, so detail-o-philes should stop reading here.
But I thought I'd share my Hardy's Chardonnay Semillion experience anyway.
It happened on a night of uncharacteristically dramatic English stormy weather, in a branch of a well-known faux-Irish chain of wine bars in North London. The rather steep price of £2.75 for a medium glass did not detract from the gothic thrill of the weather outside, coupled with the decadence of drinking wine in a place that appeared to have only recently been converted from a cathedral to a drinking den.
I'm sober now and here are my sober conclusions: Chardonnay tends to a resinous taste and texture, and Hardy's Stamp seems more resinous than most. I would counsel the winery against serving it as a stand-alone wine. It is made to be served with fish, and would set set off a poached Dover sole to perfection. As a wine on its own, the yellowish-gold colour made me feel rather bilious, but again, this would have set of the whiteness of a fish dish very nicely.

• moonpoppy published 15/06/2005
    I couldn't agree more ... fabulously cheeky review! Thank you :-)

Product Information : Hardys Stamp Semillon / Chardonnay 2007/08

Australia was the first to add Semillon to Chardonnay and has made the blend world famous. Toasty Semillon adds complexity and a creamy texture to the zesty fruit flavours of Chardonnay. A smoothly dry but fruity white which is an excellent apéritif and goes beautifully with stir-fried fish or chicken in yellow bean sauce.

Wine Label: Hardys