Review of "Haribo Starmix"

published 19/09/2008 | Spottydog11
Member since : 07/09/2007
Reviews : 1977
Pro Great sweets
Cons Calories
Smell
Product Quality

"Star Mix"

Kids and grown-ups love it so, the happy world of Haribo!!
It's true, I love Haribo as do most other people I know! What is it about those little gummy sweets that get kids and adult alike so excited?
Haribo is the biggest manufacturer of jelly and gummy sweets in the world! They were founded in 1920 in Germany by a gentleman called Hans Riegel. The name Haribo was devised by using the initials of his name with the initial of Bonn, the location in Germany where they are headquartered, HRB - Haribo!!
Haribo is sold in a variety of different packets/flavours but this review will be on the Star mix bag. I have already done a review on the Super Kiddies mix which are my favourite but I had a pack et of the Star Mix the other day and I have to say they come a very close second. Watch out for more reviews on all the other flavours as they are all as good as each other.
The Star Mix comes in a plastic bag which is see through in the middle so you can see all the lovely sweeties that you are about to eat. The top of the bag is quite a strong blue colour, in my opinion to really make the bag stand out on the shelves. Bordering the see through part are little carton pictures of al the sweets that are included in the bag. There is also a cartoon character of a little boy with his face popping out of a big space ship making the packet quite kid friendly in my opinion and quite fitting seeing that the sweets are called Star Mix. The space ship has a big number 1 on it, signifying that these sweets are number one! The bag also has little stars and planets on the bag to go along with the whole theme. There is also a note informing you that the sweets contain no artificial flavours.
I think the reason why people really like Haribo is that there are so many different sweets in each packet. For example, in the Starmix there are mini gummy bears, cola bottles, red hearts with the foamy sweet portion on the bottom, rings and fried eggs. The fried eggs are probably my favourite sweets of all the Haribo range. The white part of the egg is the foamy type sweet and then the yolk is the yellow jelly type sweets. All the sweets, especially the foamy parts are really melt in your mouth and have a lovely consistency. Each handful is always different, new and exciting. All the sweets have a nice taste to them and there are none that you wouldn't want to eat.
The bags generally cost anywhere from £1 (in Woolworths) to £2 in some train stations etc. Watch for two for one offers because you can often find these on Haribos sweets quite frequently!
I would say after a while though the sweets do become very sickly as they are so full of sugar. In my opinion it is quite easy to eat a bag in one whole sitting but I do not recommend it as it can make you feel quite sick afterwards!
Now, onto the nutritional values, look away now if you don't want to know! Although these sweets contain a very small amount of fat (only 0.2g fat), they contain a lot of calories!!! The bag I just bought was 175g and contains 602 calories. If you go back to where I said I could eat a whole bag in one sitting then this is really scary stuff. If however you see Haribo as a treat and just eat it now and again or buy a bag to share with everyone then it is not that bad.
All in all, this is one treat I will not be giving up anytime soon and definitely fun for kids and adults!!

• gemsarchitect published 19/09/2008