Review of "Hasbro Monopoly Empire"

published 06/01/2015 | bexx0907
Member since : 23/06/2009
Many thanks for all the R/R/C's, all much appreciated! Try to ensure I return the favour for all, but if I do miss you then give me a shout so I can get onto it!
Pro Quick and fun to play
Cons None
Playability & Enjoyment
Design & Presentation

"Monopoly Empire"

My son has a couple of versions of Monopoly and loves the game, though knowing how long a standard game of Monopoly takes, I was a little concerned that he received yet another version of the game for Christmas in the form of Monopoly Empire. He first played it with a friend, and then informed me that the game doesn’t take anywhere near as long as a normal game of Monopoly, so we played it as a family over Christmas.

The board has the general look of a Monopoly board, but it has little holes in the board where players place their towers. There are only four towers to play with, so the game is limited to four players. Basically, just like in the original Monopoly game, each player picks a playing piece, and take it in turns to move around the board. Instead of purchasing properties though, you purchase famous companies such as Sony, McDonalds, Coca Cola etc. The further around the board you get, the more each company costs. Each company is represented by a plastic piece instead of the usual card, and when purchased, you collect your corresponding piece and slide it into your tower, and the one that reaches the top of their tower first is the winner.

The concept of the game is quite easy to grasp, and although it has its similarities to the original version, it is different enough to make it interesting. We played with 3 players and a game took no longer than half an hour which I found rather impressive as a normal game of Monopoly can go on for hours. I like the fact that there is a way to win this game, and you don’t just have to wait until everybody goes bankrupt to win, which I think contributes towards the shorter gameplay.

I really like this game as it has bits of the original game within the game, but it has brought it into the 21st century. Each playing piece is a sign of modern times too, with a packet of fries and game controller being two of the pieces available to play with.

Overall, I was originally dreading having to play this game and thought it would be another dull version of the original Monopoly, but it was actually quite fun and a really good game for all the family to play. It is easy to play, doesn’t take long and is quite fun and so therefore it comes with a recommendation from me.

• euphie published 16/01/2015
    vh :o)
  • Andy.mack published 06/01/2015
    Good review
  • Kordor published 06/01/2015
    Regular Monopoly has been the cause of many an argument in my family. The shorter play time of this version sounds like it could help improve the atmosphere.