Hastings Direct

Hastings Direct

Review of "Hastings Direct"

published 31/08/2000 | Bubba77
Member since : 24/07/2000
Satisfactory
Pro Cheapish
Cons Poor customer relations, disorganised, limited cover

"Their incompetence cost me!"

My first car insurance policy was with Hastings and, despite giving me one of the best premium offers I could find, my overall impression of the company is not very high.
After about six months of being insured with Hastings I was involved in a minor accident which, it was decided, was a fifty fifty claim. I wasn't too pleased about this as I didn't think it was my fault but what really got to me was the fact that after three months I got a letter telling me that the claim had been settled against me - even after I had been told that both insurance companies involved had decided on a fifty-fifty settlement. When I tried to find out why, it turned out that the agency Hastings had employed to look into my case had not responded to a letter from the other insurance company and so Hastings had paid out in full.
Needless to say, I was annoyed, especially as this meant that I didn't get any money towards the repair of my car - it was a 3rd party T&T policy - and when I got my new premium quote six months later, it had nearly trebled.
I realise that the problem was not directly Hastings' fault but they refused to re-open the case and treated me very poorly thereafter. It was essentially their fault for choosing such a poor company to out source the claim to, and as such I feel extremely agreived that I ended up out of pocket ( by nearly £300 as it turned out) as a result.

Product Information : Hastings Direct