Review of "Haus WQP12-9250G"

published 10/01/2011 | JeffFromPoole
Member since : 21/12/2005
Pro Great price, ideal replacement machine. good capacity, washes well
Cons takes quite a long time to run a program
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"There's a Haus in my House, It washes the dishes."

This week has been a week of arrivals and departures. Our faithful Hotpoint Dishwasher groaned it's way through it's last load of soiled crockery and our cat Jack died after a mystery illness. Whilst we can't replace Jack the dishwasher was a simpler proposition.
We went on line and searched for a cheap dishwasher and found that Homebase and Argos both had this washer for £161 and £8.95 delivery. Given that I could get Nectar points through Homebase we opted for that one.

It was delivered on time and when I got home I set about installing it.
As it was a replacement it was not difficult to do, put the waste pipe into the standpipe, plug the electric cable in and screw the water feed hose onto the tap, remembering, of course, to turn off the tap first!

Once this was done it was time to push it back into its space and sort the working part out.
It takes 1 kilo of salt, in a fairly easy to reach filler in the bottom of the machine, The rinse aid dispenser is in the door.
I have owned several dishwashers and have tried most brands of detergents, my conclusion is that the cheapest tablets are just as good as the dear ones, my current preference is for the ones that are sold in Lidls, which work out about a third of the price of the big name brands.
The salt is specific to dishwashers as it contains just salt and no added agents such as are found in table salt.
As an aside I had to laugh at a lady in Waitrose in Dorchester, I picked up their value brand which was £1 a bag, she sneered and said that she only buys the best, picking up a similar sized bag of Finish dishwasher salt at nearly £3. She would not believe that a cheap brand was exactly the same but I explained that Salt is Salt is Salt.
The inside of the dishwasher is a bit different to the one I was used to, stacking the dirty dishes to get everything in so that it washes well is a bit of an art and I have had to relearn it.

We've had it a week now, during which time we have tried all six programs.
They are: Normal, Rapid, Eco, Intensive, Rinse and 3 in 1

The 3 in 1 program is for when you use 3 in 1 tablets, for which there is a special basket hanging from the upper drawer.

There is also an option to delay the start of the wash for up to eight hours, this is handy for anyone who is on an Economy Seven electricity tariff as it means that you can set it to run at night when the power is cheaper.
The plate racks in the lower tray also fold flat so that you can put pans in without having to jam them past the racks.

We should save a few pounds each year on electricity as the machine is A Rated.
The only problem I have found so far is that the wash cycles take quite a long time. This is not really a problem unless there is something being washed that you want to use.
We researched a fair number of machines before going for the cheapest, I cannot really see that the ones costing up to four times more are really worth any more. It appears to be well made, is quite quiet in operation and does a good job. If there is anything else to take into consideration I can't think of it.
Jack the cat is resting peacefully in his cardboard coffin, it might be harder to replace him.

• Grahame00 published 09/01/2013
    Thanks for the info, I was looking at this in Argos but was not going to buy it without knowing the manufacturer. From what I understand however spares are not available so I think I'll buy another make - unless you know otherwise?
  • brereton66 published 18/01/2011
    Yes, but Finish dishwasher salt comes in a Finish Dishwasher Salt bag. Do you see?
  • greenierexyboy published 11/01/2011
    Snooty over salt? Dearie me...