leofluffy... 4

leofluffy69

Member since:10.08.2007

Video reviews:5

Please miss...I've wet my pants!

24.09.2007

Advantages:
supportive, competitive rates of pay, everyday is different

Disadvantages:
Sporadic work patterns (e . g .  one day will have work the next will have none)

37 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. lily-lamb

---------------------------
HAYS EDUCATION
---------------------------
I first heard about Hays when I saw an advert in the local paper asking for supply teachers. I contacted my local office and was offered a meeting/interview with a consultant. I was told to take passport, birth certificate, national insurance card, university qualifications and bank details. I had to take other forms of identification for a CRB form.

Consultants at Hays Education are all qualified teachers or have a higher education background with experience in an education setting. They work with local schools to set teachers up in temporary, permanent, full-time and part-time employment. The assignment can be anything from 1 day to several years).

Hays have offices worldwide so are able to place teachers in schools all over the world. I know that if I want to move up North I will be transferred to Hays Education in my chosen area and continue doing the job I love.

REGISTERING
--------------------
I was desperate to start work after my final teaching practice so I registered whilst I was still at university. After making the initial call I was invited to attend a 'registry' interview/meeting.

On arrival I was offered a drink and was given a forest worth of application forms, contracts, questionnaires, CRB form and questions to answer. I was also given an equal amount of texts to read. My consultant ran off downstairs to photocopy all my documents and left me to fill them out. On his return we had a chat about assignments, filling out and sending off timesheets, professionalism and lesson planning. It was comforting to know that my consultant was a qualified primary teacher and understood what problems I faced getting a 'permanent' job.

He explained that once my referees had been contacted I could start working on assignments. I was really excited and left thinking about how easy it was to register. The informal meeting was very simple and was not too scary.

----------------------
CONSULTANTS
----------------------
The consultants at Hays Education are all either qualified teachers or have a degree and a vast experience in educational settings. MY first consultant was OK he sent off all the requests for references and after 2 months I still hadn't heard a word from Hays Education. I decided to rung the office and ask for my consultant. I was told that he had left a while ago and obviously had not told me. I was introduced to my new consulant.

I was a little forceful at first as I was desperate for work. I was promised work and did not hear anything. When I found out that my references had been lost I was quite angry. I made sure they received a phone call daily with a reminder. This paid off after 2 weeks I got my first assignment...A day in year 1(5/6 year olds)at a local primary.

Since this glitch I have a close relationship with my consultant. In fact I have got the new academic year off to a good start with two days worked already. My consultant is very understanding of my situation (unable to drive) and she is very friendly.

After my first assignment she was very supportive and made sure that I was happy with the school. I often get an early morning call from my consultant asking me to rush out of the door in less than 10 minutes of the call. She is very calm especially when I am half asleep and very confused.

ASIGNMENTS
--------------------
My assignments have been quite varied. Everyday is exciting. As much as I dread that call from my consultant telling I am needed with year 6 in 30 minutes at the scariest school, I do get very excited. The adrenaline rush from hopping out of bed and visiting a school for the first time is what keeps me going. Most of the time work is provided sometimes however I am told that there is no work for the kids and in the rush I have to plan 5 lessons for that day. I have a huge selection of children's books in age order and will grab the closest one for a days work.

Assignments can be booked 3 months in advance or 3 minutes before the start of school. Either way the excitement of a day in school is immense. I may be at the start of my career but I really enjoy getting a cal to say that I am needed. I was so happy to work Thursday as I could feel like a real teacher again.

One day I could be in a class of 20 perfectly behaved four year olds and another day in a class of 34 zoo animals…ooops sorry 11 year old kids! I love the job and I must admit it is made easier with the support and advice from my Hays consultant. If I have a bad day and feel like packing it all in my consultant is the other end of the phone ready to offer advice and support.

TIME SHEETS
--------------------
In order to get paid on time and accurately a time sheet must be filled out for every assignment. This can be a bit annoying as I can't just leave work. I sometimes have to wait several minutes for the secretary to sign my form. After a hard day this process can seem very annoying. I waited 30 minutes Thursday to get my form signed which really annoyed me; I was so tired I just wanted to go home. Payments are handled between Hays and the school so I do not have to worry after each assignment. Time sheets must be filled out and sent off on the Friday to receive the payment the following week.

---------------
PAYMENT
---------------
I get paid every week usually the Wednesday after I send them off. I love the weekly payment although the tax was a huge issue at first. I didn't like the fact that I was being taxed nearly half of what I earned at first. My wages have now settled down and I have no issues with Hays Education in terms of wages. I always get paid on time although a lot of that is because I send my time sheets off on time.

I get paid a flat rate of £65 a day until I register with the General Teaching Council, then I will earn £85 a day. Compared to other Supply agencies this is poor (others pay £95-£100 a day) I usually work 7-8 hours a day so £65 is quite good. Half a day is basically half of this. A morning is paid at a higher rate to an afternoon as they are usually longer 8am-12:30pm whereas an afternoon is 1pm/2pm - 3.30pm. I like the pay and if the assignments were more regular e.g. everyday, every week every month then I would not be looking for a 'real' job.

----------------
SUMMARY
----------------
Hays are a great recruitment company. I have heard many comments about Hays being a rubbish company. I have also read terrible reviews, in all honesty however I have had few issues with them. They are a great company and without whom I would be stuck on job seekers allowance. I appreciate that other departments of Hays may be poor however the education department are very well structured. If you are a supply agency looking for work in the UK and abroad Hays Education is the company for you.

jjllss 12.10.2007 01:34

Great review mate, covered everything. I work in recruitment and its always good to hear people who have had a good experience with agencies as some can be very anti agencies.

mintsuper 05.10.2007 14:09

Very very very helpful for me. Great writing

hiedihi 30.09.2007 02:15

my best pal jayne is a primary teacher and she has just gone to Qatar to teach in a Montessori aschool. She is there for two years. If your young free and single then id recommend doing as she has as its a once in a lifetime opportunity with everything paid for for you except your food. and you also get a full wage to boot. more than youd get here. Great review Heidi xx