Health & Safety General

Health & Safety General

Review of "Health & Safety General"

published 18/06/2004 | sambodkin
Member since : 30/05/2004
Pro short term 'healthy'
Cons long term 'not healthy'

"Just to clean"

Theres a real big problem today. People are obsessed with keeping 'germ free'. Its a fact of life that we can't live without micro organism, yet we do everything we can to kill them. We disinfect everything and wash with antibacterial soap.

We need bacteria, the good and the bad. Nature keeps a healthy balance, our body crawls with bacteria that protects us, it prevents other harmful bacteria from making us ill. but in the last few years we have been using more anti bacterial products. these products kill bacteria, the good and the bad, but we are surrounded by more bad bacteria, its everywhere, on pets, floors, surfaces, door handles, other people etc. So on the whole by killing bacteria we are doing more harm than good.

Also not only do we cleanse ours bodies of bacteria we also cleanse everything we can. Nearly every cleaning agent now has anti bacterial properties, even hoovers kill bacteria now. This is not a good thing and its the young that will ultimately suffer. If a kid dropped a apple on the floor 20 years ago it was brushed down and given back, now the thing incinerated!! if a fly lands on a kids sandwich its thrown a way. But just try this theory. To make a body stronger you have to make it work, by lifting and running etc, now to improve your immune system dont you have to work that. By allowing bad bacteria into your system you are making it work harder to cure your illness, by working it harder it will become stronger, you will build up an immunity to all kinds of bacteria. This might not sound great in the short term but when you get older your immune system weakens, so you are slowing down this problem. I've lived by this for many years and i now have a very strong immune system, when i was young my mother was obsessed with germs and was always disinfecting and i was a very sickly child.

As i said, people are obsessed with germs and this is brought on a great deal by the media, DON'T ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT YOUR TOLD ESSPECIALLY IF ITS IN AN ADVERT. These companies that tell you germs need killing do so so that they can sell you their products. Dont fall for it, a bit of warm soapy water is all you need and some bleach for the loo and sink.

Just think about it.

• MAFARRIMOND published 18/06/2004
    I agree to a certain extent but basic food hygiene should be adhered to in the kitchen - handwashing (as you say a bit of soapy water) is the most effective method to prevent any cross infection. Maureen
  • Moonrising published 18/06/2004
    I agree with you. I think my mouthwash is the only anti-bacterial product I have in my house! On the other hand, having experienced what real food poisening is like (ie not just a night of tummy ache, but a week of total agony that nearly put me in hospital and left me unwell for months) basic hygeine isn't a joke. I'm usualy really careful, but I slipped up while handling raw chicken because I was in a rush and payed the consequences. I think your review would be improved with some 'expert' back up. Have you got any relevant status? (eg are you a doctor or nurse?) Have you had any advice from such experts? Your personal experiences are interesting though! Thanks!
  • Fruity_Tart published 18/06/2004
    People are trying to be too clean these days, my mate has an absolute fit if her son comes in from dirty from playing. Yeah, keep things clean but don't go over the top! Chris x