Hell's Kitchen

Hell's Kitchen

Review of "Hell's Kitchen"

published 16/01/2010 | katykicker
Member since : 11/12/2005
Back writing & RATING! If you would like to be added to my COT please do let me know :) No need to thank me for E's unless you fancy a chat :)
Pro Fantastic format, Marco Pierre White is a fantastic chef, some relatively unknown celebs (to me!).
Cons Claudia Winkleman is just not my cup of tea.
How good is the content?
How good is the concept?
How do you rate the overall style and design?
How good are the presenters?
How does it compare to similar programmes?

"How would you cope working in Hell's Kitchen?"

Hell's Kitchen is an ITV1 based cooking show which has been hosted by Angus Deayton (Series 1-3) and Claudia Winkleman (Series 4 -) and the head chefs have been Gordon Ramsay (Series 1) Gary Rhodes & Jean Christophe Novelli (Series 2) Marco Pierre White (Series 3 -) and it is has recently finished it's 4th series.

Each series has had a slightly different format and slightly different voting styles and in the most recent series (4) Marco Pierre White was responsible for choosing the first four sackings and the second four sackings and subsequently the winner were voted for my members of the general public voting.

Series 4 ran for 15 days and there were 8 celebrity contestants who had to learn how to produce set meals chosen predominantly by Marco and they had to take part in all of the food preparation as well as the cooking and each night for the first four episodes Marco would choose 2 of the celebrities to become waiters for the evening.

Hell's Kitchen is opened as a restaurant to members of the public and there is usually a competition run throughout the series to get tickets to a certain nights meal. The guests will then order their food from the set menu, be served, enjoy the food and then provide comments & rates on the food which Marco took on board to help him decide who would be eliminated and who should become waiters for the following nights filming.

I have thoroughly enjoyed each series of Hell's Kitchen to date and the most recent series was my favourite with lots of tears and tantrums in the kitchen and Marco's usual fiery temperament providing vast quantities of entertainment. I enjoyed the change to format with Marco selecting waiters and the first four people to be sacked as it meant that unlike previous years people with natural talent were allowed to stay for longer and let their skills and personality shine through.

There are quite often lots of celebrities guests who visit for a meal and you will often get to see their comments on the evening as well as Marco occasionally leaving the kitchen to speak to friends or to meet with Wine Critics or Food Critics etc and this breaks up the monotony of just watching the cooking for a whole hour or two.

I would definitely recommend giving Hell's Kitchen a view and the next series should be starting early next year. I find it to be very addictive viewing and only wish that it was shown for longer but at the same time two weeks is an ample amount of time to see how celebrities cope under the pressure of 12+ working hours a day (preparation as well as running the restaurant) and the only downside to this series was that I did not find Claudia Winkleman to have the same dry, witty, yet sarcastic, sense of humour that Angus Deayton had exuded.

I am rating Hell's Kitchen 4/5 and have unfortunately knocked off one star because of the host and her constant attempts to be witty and funny which just came across, at times, as being desperate.

Summary: A fantastic cooking show which gives you a taste of real kitchen life.

• kevin121 published 16/01/2010
    I preferred the Marco Pierre White version, but it's still a good show.
  • dynamicnurse published 16/01/2010
    I agree with you on this one! PS I don't hold grudges, I just speak my mind a bit too much.

Product Information : Hell's Kitchen