Review of "Hello"

published 29/10/2008 | izzoh
Member since : 28/05/2006
:-)
Good
Pro Keep up to date in all things glossy and shiny!
Cons No real news. Just pretty pictures!
Quality of journalism
Quality of features

"HELLO! Do I know you??"

As I have stated in my other reviews, I am a bit of a nosy parker and I love looking at what is going on in other peoples lives. Why? No other reason then because I love people watching. Looking at what others are doing, how others live their life. Everyone is different. This also includes celebrities. I am not a huge fan of the news, but, celebrity news... now that is what I am interested in. You can call me shallow, sad, whatever…. But I can not help it and I am not ashamed to say I actually reading about Victoria Beckham and her day out shopping for specially made blue metallic Bonsai trees (or something along those lines….!)

One way of me to get my weekly gossip is through the glossy HELLO! Magazine.
It is a weekly roundup of all things rich and famous. Now I will admit, I do not actually BUY the magazine. (Neither do I steal the magazine!) I work in a reception that gets it delivered every week. So before we put it out for the general public to destroy, we have a gander ourselves. Cheeky? Yes. Clever. Yes! It means we recycle at least!

HELLO! Started in 1988 and is one of the biggest selling women's magazines. 427,054 copies are circulated per week, which is an average of 19 million copies each month! That is a lot of gossip! Its photo journalism is what makes it famous and it as one of the few magazines to get access to the social elite and exclusive access to events and gatherings. The magazine itself contains everything from general celebrity news, to royal family interviews and worldwide political updates.
The magazine costs £2.00 per issue, some would say expensive, I say you get what you pay for… don't believe me? Well here is what you get……
Every weekly issue has certain regular features and a few extra things added in for spice. I will explain the main layout of the magazine and relate back to the issue I have at hand which is for the week 4th November 2008 (the issue that came out in the shops today)

EXCLUSIVES**
Hello! Magazine prides itself on getting the most up to date interviews with the rich and famous. 'Exclusive' interviews mean that they are the ONLY magazine who have the rights to publish the pictures for this event or are the first company to grasp a juicy story. Every issue of Hello! Opens with an exclusive story. This one is about Nicky Byrne's 30th Birthday 9one of the guys from Westlife) It lasts over a couple of pages and has pictures of the famous people at his celebrations as well as an interview with the man himself. They also have an exclusive story about Princes William and Harry on their charity road trip across South Africa, Exclusive information about Madonna and guy Ritchie, Melinda Messenger talks about her marriage,

DIARY OF THE WEEK**
Topical photo-coverage of high society events: cocktail parties, receptions, gallery openings, charity dinners. The place to be and be seen in the social calendar

INSIDE STORY**
Here HELLO! Delve into the lives of the rich and famous and give a glimpse of what some famous people are up to. They are half page articles and are small glimpses of gossip. This week for example there is Elizabeth Hurley and a small article about her trip to Mumbai, why she was there, what she was wearing etc.

CINEMATTERS**

This is a roundup of celebrity news from the entertainment industry. In other words nothing really serious, no politics, sad stories or royal families. Just plain juicy gossip from the people that are usually on our TV screens.

THE WORLD IN PICTURES
This is a weekly roundup of interesting things from around the world. There is usually 4 or 5 interesting pictures with a light hearted article explaining what's happened, in this weeks edition to give you an example there is a half page picture of hundreds of clowns (yes clowns!) who have celebrated their 13th international convention in Mexico city. I always find these pictures interesting and different. Something out of the ordinary. At times it can be nice to compare what others are doing while you sitting at a desk at work! (In my case)

FASHION
In HELLO! They usually give a 6 or 7 page spread on a certain look or designer. It is what they call 'beautiful people, beautiful clothes'. These articles highlight what the trends are at the moment and where to get them from. Usually they talk about the high end market which is unrealism to people like me. £5000 on a jacket. Yes of course, I shall buy that tomorrow, in fact, I will buy one in every colour…. Oh sorry, i have woken up now! However from time to time they do throw in the 'normal' high street name which makes it more accessible to the non-celebrities of the world.

BEAUTY
HELLO! Have their own award-winning beauty editor, Nadine Baggott who talks about the latest beauty products and best buys that have gone on sale. Once again these are usually high end products but it is interesting to see what it new on the shelves. They also have a weekly health article, this week they cover sleeplessness and how to combat it.

COOKERY
Something you might not expect from a gossip, celebrity magazine. There are usually 4 or 5 very nice recipes, as well as advice on nutrition, healthy eating and world cuisine.

CELEBRITY INTERVIEWS
Every week they have numerous celebrity interviews and celebrity pictures; in this issue they have Jason Donovan, Anastacia, Kennedy Jones, DJ Emma b, Nicole Kidman, Zoe Ball, Sir roger Moore and lots more.

They also have the week TV listings, puzzles and star signs.

Phew! You can breathe now! That is a lot of news! I do think HELLO! Is aimed at the female audience, due to the type of fashion it publishes and the advertisements such as perfume, jewellery etc. However it's still broad enough for men to have a browse through if they get bored.

I know HELLO! Is not too many peoples taste but it is a weekly edition to my life that gives me quick glimpse into high society life. It is never really too serious and nothing so important that it stays in your mind for the afternoon. But it is full of glossy pictures which pass a few minutes and if that isn't enough for you on the odd occasion they give away freebies, including chocolate… anyone would thing they are bribing us to buy their magazine!

Recommended as a light read, something to look at. Not as an in depth look in to the worlds news. Even better if you get to borrow someone elses!

Thankyou for reading.

Also published on dooyoo under myself izzoh.

• hillhead published 09/11/2009
    I quite like this and buy it now and then : ) Great write up : )
  • ilusvm published 11/11/2008
    i prefer closer magazine! Em x
  • Bollinger28 published 09/11/2008
    I always enjoy looking at the pictures in this magazine, but that's about all. The accompanying text is usually a bit too sycophantic for my liking! Lexy

offers "Hello"