Herriot Watt University

Herriot Watt University

Review of "Herriot Watt University"

published 24/07/2000 | Tyrian
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro Nice campus, newer halls are good
Cons It's a degree-mill, campus is in the middle of nowhere.
not rated
IT Facilities
Libraries
Societies/Clubs
Sporting Facilities
Student Union

"Wouldn't be my first choice if I could do it all over again."

In the two and a half years I've been here I've got the impression that all this university is a degree-mill out to squeeze money from students. They let in foreign students who can't really speak or write fluent english (which isn't really their fault) and expect them to write theses which are then "edited" (for want of a better word) by their supervisors. The Riccarton campus is in the middle on nowhere (literally, I'm not joking) and it can get very boring on campus. The students union is okay if you want cheap alcohol but nothing more. The bus service isn't much to speak of and if you live in the city you'll be spending over thirty pounds each month on bus passes. On the good side the lecturers here can be nice - I've known a few who have gone out of their way to help me. The sports centre is pretty good and relatively cheap as well. The Halls are okay - nothing special. If you decide to live on campus you really want to be in one of the newer Halls - they have larger rooms, on-suite facilities and much nicer kitchens. The mattereses in the older Halls are absolutely terrible - if you can sleep on springs covered by a thin sheet of cloth you'll be fine. The library is terrible - it's small, doesn't get many periodicals. One of the librarians actually told me to go use the library at Strathclyde University - they said it was much better. The campus is very beautifull in the summer: there are lots of baby rabbits frollicking over sculptured hills (you get my drift). It's even more pleasing in winter mornings when everything is covered by snow. The I.T. facilities are fractured, there are small computer rooms dotted all over campus and I hear that the authorities are going to install a firewall on the network (no more downloading mp3s - damn!). The food in the refrectory tends to be of the stodgy, overpriced kind. Oh yes, and if there are conference guests on campus, you get the impression that you (as a student) don't exist if you try to get someones attention at the main reception.

This review was read 2036 times and was rated at