Hertz

Hertz

Review of "Hertz"

published 03/06/2003 | sandrabarber
Member since : 30/11/-0001
Good
Pro lovely car, friendly staff
Cons staff a bit too casual, expensive
Type of car rented
Available selection
Customer Service
Vehicle Quality

"Hertz Hurts the Pocket"

Finding myself stuck without a car last week and several appointments to keep, I decided to hire one double-quick. The first place that sprang to mind was Hertz, as they had opened a new place literally at the bottom of my street a couple of weeks previously. It was a Sunday night, and I wanted the car first thing next morning, so I went straight onto the Hertz website (www.hertz.co.uk) and booked.

I booked myself the smallest, cheapest car (listed as 'Fiat Siecento or similar') for 3 days (8.40 a.m. Monday to 5.30 p.m. Wednesday) and paid just under £140 including insurance. I wasn't going to have the insurance, which would have worked out over £30 cheaper, but when I realised I would be liable for £500 excess I took it just in case.

I arrived at Hertz at 8.40 the next morning to find they hadn't opened their emails yet so weren't expecting me, and the staff were in fact busy eating toast. This was sort of fair enough, they had after all only been in the office for ten minutes, but on reflection I don't think the website should offer cars from the time they open if they're not going to have them ready on time.

I then waited 15 minutes whilst a car was found and cleaned for me. Again this wasn't great, but I did need 10 minutes as I'd forgotten to take a utility bill with me as proof of ID (because my drivers' licence still had my old address on it) and needed to dash home and get one.

I did feel something like a suspected criminal as they walked around the car noting down any scratches or marks which they could use to check against when I returned it, but then I guess they have to do this.

Also, when I gave my card details online I used my Debit/Visa card which was accepted. When picking up the car, however, I was told that they did not accept debit cards and had to use my credit card instead.

So not the best of experiences - I have to say I really don't think it's professional for staff to sit in the swanky front office in their uniforms eating toast - but then I was a last minute booker and the staff were smiling and polite.

And the car - the most important thing of all - was lovely. As it turned out, they don't do Fiat Siecentos and I was given a spanking new Vauxhall Corsa 1.2. It was spotless, came complete with a road map of Britain, and drove like a nippy little dream. I was very sorry to return it 3 days later (so sorry in fact that I'm off to order myself a brand new Corsa tonight). It came with a full tank of petrol, and my responsibility was to return it equally full at the time I had stated (though you are given one hour's grace).

Returning the car involved far less rigmarole, apart from on my side as I'd forgotten to top the tank up to full, so I had to nip to the nearest petrol station and do it.

On the Hertz side, they just had a look around the bodywork to see that I'd done no damage. Staff were again very polite, and I was glad to see that although it was by now 5.25 p.m. they weren't having their tea out front.

I was returning the car to the same place I'd hired it from, but you can of course hire a Hertz car and return it to any Hertz shop in the country and even abroad.

BOOKING

Very easy indeed online, by phone or at a Hertz hire shop.

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

You must be over 25 to rent a car from Hertz. There are also restrictions as to points on your licence, offences etc. which you'd need to check out.

If you don't pay for extra insurance (about £10 a day on a small car) you will be liable for £500 if you have a scrape.

If you don't refill the fuel tank before returning the car they can charge you £50.

WHAT YOU NEED TO TAKE WHEN YOU PICK UP YOUR CAR

Your driving licence - and if, like me, you've changed address but forgot to update your licence, you'll also need a utility bill.

A credit card. Debit cards will not be accepted.

STAFF/CUSTOMER SERVICE

As I said I didn't like the eating business, but apart from that the staff were smart, polite and friendly.

THE CARS

Hertz do a selection of cars and vans, most of which at my local hire shop seemed to be Vauxhall. From my experience they are impeccably maintained and a pleasure to drive.

THE PRICES

Ah, now here's the problem. I have just looked at the Avis website to get a quote for the same car for the same number of days next week and it's considerably cheaper.

OVERALL

I had a good, but nothing special, experience with Hertz and the most important thing - the car itself - cannot be faulted. However, had I relaised they were so much more expensive than their competitors I would not have used them.

• sue.51 published 30/12/2004
    They obviously have different standards in the UK to abroad; there was no checks done on the car either when collecting or returning it, although, like you, I took the excess insurance to be safe rather than sorry. Sue
  • Joeyruss published 18/06/2003
    I use Avis a lot. Hertz always seemed a bit pricey to me and the staff attitude never matched up to the corporate image .. seems like it could be the same story nationwide. Nice op. Joey.
  • mrpaella published 12/06/2003
    I have never rented a car. I will avoid Hertz in the future as it is too expensive...Paul

offers "Hertz"