Workgroup printer - Inkjet - Black: 1200 x 1200 - Colour: 2400 x 1200

Review of "Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet Pro 8210"

published 23/07/2017 | MrYorkiesWorld
Member since : 08/07/2015
On a roll as of late! Plenty of new products coming in to review!
Pro Outstanding print quality, Multiple ways to Connect, Fast, easy and reliable little printer
Cons The self-ordering of cartridges might not be your thing.
Picture quality
Printing speed
Colour sensitivity
Reliability

"HP - You did it again! - HP OfficeJet Pro 8210"

Introduction

Ok, so we are talking about HP (Hewlett Packard) here – a pretty well-known make for a pretty large variety of products. In this case, the HP Office Jet Pro 8210 in my product of choice in my office for printing photos or colour documents. I used to rely on just my black and white Ricoh printer for every document, until I realised that in addition to that, I also needed something for printing photos and colour documents to make things look a little more attractive to my customers. I decided to buy this printer about a year ago now, and I’ve certainly not been disappointed with its huge range of features and functionality.

Sometimes in life we have to splash out a little cash to get the right piece of Software or Hardware for the job, and when I bought this particular printer I was excited to see if my money had been well-spent. It’s quite common to go online, read some reviews of a product and instantly fall in love with it before you’ve even bought it. This can, more often than not result in disappointment if the product SOUNDS good, but actually isn’t.

I bought this printer from an eBay store in 2016 for my small office, and placed it next to my black and white Ricoh laser printer, and ever since, I can say I’ve had the perfect companion for all my colour-printing needs.

Design

Firstly, let’s talk about the design of this printer. To begin with, it’s very unique compared to the design of some printers. It has the HP logo on the very top of the printer which goes well against the black / dark grey colour of the body. It then has a lot of curves, and I mean a LOT of curves in its design – namely the front of the printer is very well moulded into an attractive and professional looking shape which not only catches the eye, but also makes it unique.

The printer looks to be designed in a very compact way, but not too much to the point where it looks cheap or flimsy. The paper trays can, of course be extended and retracted accordingly, and the lid of the printer is easily lifted up and down to access the printer internals.

The LCD display on the front of the printer is bright, sharp and crystal clear to the eye – making for easy navigation of options whilst the printer is in use. I personally like this idea because it not only makes the printer look good, but it makes it easier to use for someone like me who has to wear glasses due to poor eyesight – the screen is small, but not too small to the point where you have to squint your eyes to see anything.

Interface

It’s very easy to manoeuvre through the options and settings using the LCD display and buttons on the front of the printer. I personally liked how once the printer was all hooked up to the PC and turned on, it automatically goes through a quick visual guide on the screen showing you how to install the cartridges into the printer ready for printing.

The interface also features a very handy function which automatically orders its own replacement ink cartridges once the current ones begin to run out – something I find to be quite smart and intelligent overall. It certainly saves me having to continuously place an online order, however this can be a bit of a pain if you know you’re able to get replacement cartridges at a lower price elsewhere for example – but this option can be disabled or turned off if you don’t want the printer to order its own cartridges. Still – it’s a pretty intelligent feature for this printer!

Aside from the above, the interface in terms of the Settings Menu is easy to use – you can pair up the printer to your wireless network easily and quickly using those same buttons that are on the LCD panel at the front – meaning no awkward or confusing buttons placed at random areas of the printer like with some models which make it hard to tell which button does what!

The printer is also compatible with the HP AIO (All in One) app which makes it easier than ever to change settings on your printer, directly from your smartphone or tablet – I personally love the idea of this. Not only does it make changing settings on the printer so much easier when you’re not right next to the unit itself, but it also makes it so much more convenient – adding an extra level of connectivity to the printer’s interface as a whole.

Connectivity

This printer can be connected via WiFi, Ethernet and USB 2.0 or 3.0. This means you’re never stuck in terms of being able to access the printer in a variety of ways. I personally like to use WiFi and connect the printer directly to my home network – it makes it quicker and easier for me to be able to use any device to print to, and it just means it’s so much easier than having to go upstairs into the office to print something when I’m downstairs on the laptop or on my smartphone working.

The Ethernet connection can be quite troublesome to configure unless you understand Networking very well. Ethernet is generally faster than wireless connections, however for the sake of printing normal amounts of documents – you’re not really going to notice any significant increase in speed, plus it can be troublesome to configure as I mentioned a moment ago, unless of course you know how to configure your router and the printer to work properly.

USB 2.0 and 3.0 connectivity means you can plug things in the old fashioned way! Simply hook it up to your OC via USB and you’re good to go as you would be with a mouse or keyboard! USB is great if you only really have one computer in your home and don’t really need to worry about sharing the printer with others, although you can configure printer sharing on your PC, should you need to still be able to access the printer from other devices over your home network.

The printer also has a USB port on the front, allowing you to connect a USB flash drive with documents to print, and simply select them and print them out straight from the USB drive without needing to connect to a computer to print them out – I used to use this function a lot when I needed to print things out for clients, but didn’t have time to switch on the computer to do so.

Overall, the printer has some good methods of connectivity, and it’s really easy to get hooked up and ready to go.

Software

As with all printers and most devices you can buy for your computer – there is a Drivers and Software CD / DVD provided with this printer. Although Windows 10 and other up-to-date Operating Systems probably won’t need this, as they can be downloaded from Windows Update, or might even be readily available on your PC. In my case I connected the printer and my PC downloaded the drivers from Windows Update, and so I didn’t need to use the Driver CD.

The above, of course means that I never managed to actually use the software bundled with the printer, and so I cannot really comment on this as a whole, but I suspect it would be useful if you’re interested in looking at the instruction manual in a digital format, or using the software to help you with certain printing tasks etc… Again, I haven’t used this CD and so I cannot really comment on what it is like or what it includes.

Print Quality

This printer has exceptional printing quality! I mainly use it for printing photographs and high-quality technical drawings, and each and every print, from the first one to the last has been extremely high quality. Very sharp, easy to see and stands out on the page a lot better than if it were printed using my Ricoh black and white laser printer.

The maximum print quality in terms of resolution for black and white only is 1200 x 1200 dpi, and the maximum for colour is 2400 x 1200 dpi – absolutely superb for things like photographs or in my case, high quality technical drawings that require extreme precision and quality.

The printer can produce black and white documents at a speed of up to 22 pages per minute which is quite impressive, and also a speed of up to 18 pages per minute in colour which is equally as impressive. It basically means you won’t be waiting around forever if you need to print a good amount of pages in a short amount of time! In addition to this, the printer also offers double-sided printing (Duplex Printing) with speeds of up to 12 pages per minute in black and white, and up to 10 pages per minute in colour – no more needing to swap and change paper around when you want a double-sided document!

Technical Information

I have gathered some technical information about this printer, as I know some people like to get down to the nitty gritty about a product before actually committing to buy – here’s what I found:

Inkjet Technology: HP Thermal Inkjet
Ink Palette Supported (Colours): 4-ink - cyan, magenta, yellow, black
Ink Cartridge Configuration: 4 cartridges (1 each: cyan, magenta, yellow, black)
Built-in Devices: Status LCD
Preview Screen Size: 2"
Connectivity Technology: Wireless
Interfaces: USB, LAN, Wi-Fi(n)
AirPrint Enabled: Yes
Automatic Duplexing: Yes
First Print Out Time B/W: 9 sec
First Print Out Time Colour: 10 sec
Language Simulation: PCL 3, PCL 5C, PostScript 3, PCL 6, PCL XL, PDF
Printer Features: HP ePrint

As you can see from the above, you can also use this printer via AirPrint for Apple devices such as your iPhone, iPad or MacBook for example – another great feature of this feature-packed printer.

Compatible Media Types

When it comes to media, I personally like to have a printer that can print on normal A4, envelopes, photo paper etc… I mean what’s the point of having a printer if it can’t do things like this for you? I was pleasantly surprised to note that the HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 can handle Envelopes, plain paper, photo paper, cards and even postcards – perfect for the sorts of things I generally print in my office.

Paper sizing compatibility is also an important factor when I choose to buy a printer, so I was happy to discover that this printer gives the option to use a variety of different paper sorts and sizes. I found some information on the web telling us exactly what we can use in the printer in terms of paper sizes:

Max Media Size: A4 (210 x 297 mm)
Media Sizes: A4 (210 x 297 mm), A5 (148 x 210 mm), B5 (176 x 250 mm), A6 (105 x 148 mm), 100 x 150 mm
Borderless Photo Sizes: A4 (210 x 297 mm)
Media Weight: 60 g/m² - 300 g/m²
Total Media Capacity: 250 sheets
Media Feeders: 1 x automatic - 250 sheets - A4 (210 x 297 mm) weight: 60 g/m² - 300 g/m²
Max Media Capacity: 250 sheets

Now 250 sheets as a capacity might not seem like much, but for me it was perfect. I rarely use a massive amount of paper in my office as I do try and do my bit to save the planet if you will, however 250 sheets last me quite a while and It’s certainly not something I can really complain about.

Additionally, most of the time with normal black and white documents, I use my laser printer, so the demand for paper in the HP OfficeJet Pro 8210 is actually pretty low.

Size and Weight

An important factor for me when I buy any device for my home is size. I don’t want something too small, but I also don’t want something too big to fit on my desk or in my room. I need a nice balance between size and quality, not to mention weight in case I want to move things around a little. I’m happy to say the printer isn’t actually that heavy, and it certainly isn’t really that big despite the fact the images of it can be deceiving. The actual dimensions for this printer are as follows:

Width: 49.8 cm
Depth: 41.9 cm
Height: 20.4 cm
Weight: 8.2 kg

When compared to other printers like my Ricoh laser printer, this printer is quite smaller – especially in terms of height – mainly due to the fact this printer obviously doesn’t have the ability to scan, and so the entire section of the flatbed is removed from the equation completely – making the printer smaller than my laser printer.

The weight of the printer is also considerably less than my laser printer, at only 8.2Kg depending on how much paper you have in the tray – this makes it easy to move around and generally means less pressure on my desks whilst it sits there.

Final Verdict

Overall, this really is the bees’ knees in terms of affordable, quality printing. The printer features a lot of great things and is easy to install and use as a whole. It’s perfect if you have a small home or office requiring great quality photos, drawings and documents that look outstanding in quality and appealing to the eye, and it’s the perfect gift for someone like me who relies on such things to make a successful business.

If you’re looking for a printer which isn’t really too expensive, but at the same time doesn’t have the traits of a cheap printer – I’d recommend this. The worst thing you can do when considering a printer for quality is assume a more expensive one will always be better than a cheaper one – the proof is definitely in the pudding for me, and I’ll be making sure I get every last penny (and more) out of this printer while ever it’s in my office.

Huge thumbs-up from me, and hopefully a huge thumbs up to anyone else who buys it – way to go, HP!