Cafe - Address: Finnieston Quay, Glasgow, G3 8HN

Review of "Hilton Garden Inn City Centre Cafe Bar, Glasgow"

published 23/01/2017 | angelboouk123
Member since : 01/06/2010
Busy working Mum to two boys and married to the love of my life <3
Pro tasty and fresh food, nice choice, good value deal, friendly service
Cons no drink top ups
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Tea time at the Hilton.."

City Cafe Bar and Grill

Finnieston Quay
Glasgow
G3 8HN
0141 227 1010 (direct cafe number)

The City Cafe Bar and Grill is located within the Hilton Garden Inn Hotel in Glasgow. This hotel is conveniently located next to the SSE Hydro and the SECC. It is a five minute train ride from Glasgow city centre (the nearest station is Exhibition Centre) and is accessible by bus, car and foot. Parking nearby requires payment. The hotel overlooks The River Clyde.

The cafe bar is open to guests and non guests and is accessible via the reception area of the hotel. The toilets are a short walk from this area. The hotel offers freshly cooked meals within the cafe bar, on the terrace or via room service. Midweek, breakfast is served from 6am until 10am and at the weekend from 7am until 11am. Snacks are available from 10am until 10pm and also an a la carte menu from noon until 9.30pm.

The food on offer is varied but not the cheapest. Starters (from £5.50) include salmon terrine, duck leg and goats cheese panna cotta. Mains (from £11) include a selection of steaks, burgers, chicken supreme and vegetable gratin. Vegetarian options are fairly limited. Desserts (£5.95) include lemon and lime cheesecake and eton mess to name a few. The cafe bar also offers a selection of alcohol, soft and hot drinks.

Our Experience

My Mum and I visited the Cafe Bar and Grill last week for afternoon tea. We love trying different places for afternoon tea and this was on of a few deals I had bought from Wowcher. For £15, we were promised afternoon tea for two and prosecco. We had no issues with booking our deal. I simply called the number of the voucher and requested a booking. We were booked in to the cafe bar for noon. I believe the afternoon tea is normally £15 per person so we saved 50%. On booking, I was asked if we had any allergy or special requirements. I advised that I didn't take butter or margarine on my sandwiches but my Mum did.

The hotel itself is pleasantly decorated and the toilets that we visited were clean and tidy. Disabled toilets are accessible. The hotel and the cafe bar is accessible by those in wheelchairs and family friendly. When we arrived, we were welcomed and shown to our table in the main part of the cafe. There is also a bar/coffee lounge area which seemed popular with business people. The area we sat in was bright and airy and we enjoyed looking out on to the River Clyde through the full length windows. The cafe bar appeared clean and freshly decorated though I would say the tables were a little too close together. Our table had a reserved sign on it with our name and was neatly set up for our arrival. The material napkins were a nice touch. At noon, this area was fairly quiet but it soon became busier when others arrived for lunch.

Upon seating, we were offered a choice of tea or coffee and also asked when we would like our prosecco. My Mum opted for a regular tea but commented that it could have been hotter whilst I decided to try a fruit tea. This was hot and tasty. Our afternoon tea stand arrived promptly. Our afternoon tea was neatly presented and we couldn't wait to tuck in. The top tier offer four, good sized finger sandwiches each and I was happy to see that my 'no butter' request had been acknowledged. We each had two white sandwiches and two wholemeal. The fillings were very tasty indeed and I was pleased that there wasn't any salmon as I hate salmon. We were given tuna mayo with lettuce, ham and tomato and also egg mayo. The sandwiches were delicious and clearly fresh made.

Afternoon tea isn't complete without a fruit scone and the Hiltons scones didn't disappoint. They weren't the biggest scones but they were very pleasant to eat and were still warm from the oven. They were soft and really delicious. The thick cream and jams complimented the scone perfectly. We were offered a choice of jam flavours when we arrived and they came in little packets. I do feel that the mini jars are more 'special' for afternoon tea when dining out but this wasn't a major issue for us as we enjoyed them all the same.

I never know what cakes to expect when trying somewhere new for afternoon tea as every venue differs. We did like the selection we were given at the Hilton though if you aren't a big chocolate fan, you may have not been as happy. We each had three sweet treats - a small piece of cheesecake, a square of caramel shortcake and a chocolate brownie. They weren't huge but just enough to finish off the afternoon tea with. The cheesecake was my favourite. It was rich, creamy and topped with Malteasers and caramel - just delicious! The brownie was moist and not overly stodgy and the caramel shortcake was really tasty without being sickly.

We weren't offered any top ups of tea during our visit. Some venues offer unlimited top ups but I don't think this cafe bar does. Neither my Mum nor I are prosecco drinkers so kindly requested if we could have soft drinks as a replacement. The waitress was more than happy to provide us with them and we were happy with our glass bottles of Irn Bru to wash down our cakes with.

Final Thoughts

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon tea experience at The Cafe Bar and Grill. The food was plentiful and fresh. The staff that we encountered were friendly and approachable. Some can be a little funny when you are using a deal or vouchers but we didn't have that issue here so we were happy to leave a tip. The cafe bar would be ideal for a business lunch or girly catch up and we would recommend the afternoon tea. If you keep an eye out for deals, you can save some money too. I would happily return here. The Wowcher offer is still available.

Thanks for reading :)

• anonymili published 05/02/2017
    Ooh I do love me a bit of afternoon tea. It's just something I don't do often enough :)
  • Digbycat published 03/02/2017
    That looks good, I'm always nervous about afternoon tea as I'm never convinced you get value for money x
  • aclevername published 02/02/2017