Review of "Hinari HTP109 OVAL Steamer"

published 01/03/2012 | MEL0611
Member since : 24/09/2009
Mummy to be, bubba due end of March...watch out for Nappy reviews!!!!
Pro Great price, easy to use, cooks all food really well
Cons None that I have found
Performance
User's Manual

"Hinari HTP109 Steamer...."

I have been trying to eat that little bit healthier for some time now, I guess we all get into bad habits and I was having a tendency to roast a lot of my vegetables when really a steamer would be a much better cooking method for them. I had been thinking about getting one for some time but it was when I was out and about shopping and I spotted one that was on offer, and that really made my mind up. The model of steamer that I got was the Hinari HTP109 model and here are my thoughts on it.

I am not normally a spontaneous shopper, I tend to do a little bit of research on a product like this beforehand but I was in my local Sainsbury’s and happened to see the product on a really good money off deal. The price that I paid for this was £15.99 which in my mind was an excellent price, I have since researched the price and it is £19.99 on the Amazon and even that is still a great price as other electrical retailers have it priced at £25.99 so it is really worth shopping around. I have had Hinari products in the past but never tried one of their steamers.

The steamer came well packaged and with a well detailed instruction leaflet, I have to say that the detail was great but I found this a very easy product to use. The steamer has a classic look about it, it is white in colour and comes with a white base with the Hinari logo on the front as well as a timer switch, there is then 2 glass bowls, the base being removable so you can turn it into a larger bowl if needed, there is also a rice bowl that comes separate as well.

To use, there is a good amount of electrical cord, about 90cm so you can get this set up on the worktop. The steamer has a 5 litre capacity so you put your water into the base, I have found this a very safe steamer to use, then as I mentioned, on the front of the steamer there is a dial, this has a 60 minute amount built in so you just twist the dial around and off you go. There is also a light that indicates that the steamer is in action. A feature that comes with this model is that there is an automatic shut off device that if the steamer runs out of water the steamer will click off automatically, I have luckily never had to use this feature but it is great to know that it is there.

When it comes to the results of this steamer, I have been really impressed, the cooking speeds are really quite good, I prefer my vegetables to have a bit of crunch to them and this allows me to have them cooked just as I like, cooking fish in the steamer is also really great. I like that you get to keep all of the nutrients and vitamins in the food that you sometime loose when you are cooking the food by boiling it. I don’t really use my steamer to cook rice so cannot really speak about that function but everything else I have used and I have been impressed.

The steamer is really easy to clean, all parts are dishwasher friendly and come up looking great after a wash, and warm soapy water is also just as good.

Although this is probably a basic steamer to some, it has served me really well so far and even when I have cooked for more than just the usual 2 in our household, it is spacious enough to get a good amount of vegetables in! The steamer is really quite when it is in use and I like that with the turn of the switch it is efficient really quickly.

In summary, I am really pleased with this product, efficient and effective and a great price!

5 out of 5 from me

• Coloneljohn published 11/03/2012
    Sounds good. John
  • Nar2 published 02/03/2012
    Good to know Hinari are still making products. My first ever Hinari product was a toaster that just refused to die. Lasted for about 15 years!
  • GillyMN published 01/03/2012
    Good review and thanks for reminding me to get my steamer out.