JesseB 4

JesseB

Member since:20.10.2004

HIPPOBAG - cleaning up for a new bathroom

20.10.2004

Advantages:
No waiting for a skip  -  buy the bag and use it straight away

Disadvantages:
Collected in five days  -  I must be too impatient !

Service efficiency

and a further member
  1. Kazzay
  2. AnitaM
  3. Redbitch

I used a HIPPOBAG recently when I had my old bathroom ripped out and a new one put in.

I had arranged everything with an independent fitter and hadn't even thought about how the old bathroom suite would be thrown away...i assumed the fitter would take it away, but apparently they can't use the council dump and when he arrived to start work he asked me where he should put all the old stuff!

I didn't have time to get a skip (and to be honest wouldn't have know where to start with that anyway!) and I just had visions of the old toilet having pride of place in my front garden!!! Not the kind of water feature you want!!!

I rang my husband in a panic and he said he had heard an advert on the radio for HIPPOBAGs and I should try to find out more...I went online and found the Hippo website which let me search for my nearest stockist which was a garden centre.

When I got there I found the bags came in two sizes and bought the bigger megabag which promised to fit a bath in it...well I can tell you it did! As well as loads of old lino and the basin and cupboards,although I did have to go back and get another bag (the smaller midibag this time) for the old toilet and tiles etc.

Between the two bags all the rubbish was cleared up and my fitter was able to get on with putting in the new suite.

The bags were on my front garden and I phoned HIPPO to arrange collection first thing on monday - the service says that the bags will be picked up within five days but that doesn't stop you hoping each day that when you get home they wll be gone!! On the fifth day the bags were picked up while I was at work - all in all a great service, really convenient and i would certainly use a bag again in future.

Extra info:

Cost - the big bag was about £11 and cost £49 to collect and the smaller bag was £8ish and cost £36 to collect, but because I had them picked up together you get £4 off the collection cost on the second bag - so all in I paid about £100 - not cheap but worth it for me because it was so easy.

Stockists - I got mine from a garden centre but I believe they are stocked in DIY shops like B+Q and homebase. I think they are just operating south of Birmingham at the moment but expanding all the time!

Kazzay 01.11.2004 18:23

Hey there. Interesting review. I'd never heard of these before. Going to have a look at the site to see how sturdy they are now! Kaz

Redbitch 21.10.2004 20:12

Hi, welcome to ciao...have fun here xx

myth 21.10.2004 14:45

Never heared of these before! Great review shez :)