Review of "Hippo Bag"

published 19/07/2015 | dobieg
Member since : 31/01/2003
I'm a miserable old git. I'm ashamed to say it's been a **** very **** long time since I reviewed my "trusts", have sought to rectify this by going through every review I've written in the past couple of years, if you feel hard-done-by, drop me a note.
Pro Good price for just the bag itself,no need for uplift
Cons none that I can think of
Service efficiency
Care taken with possessions
Competitiveness of charges

"Just for the bag itself, this is still a great product"

I recently bought a hippo-bag, and found it was a great product, even though I didn’t use the ‘phone to collect’ service.

Hippo Bag is an ‘end-to-end’ waste disposal service

You get a big woven polypropylene bag, with webbing straps at your local DIY store for a nominal deposit, I think I paid about twelve quid for the “mega” bag – which is about 180cm long, and 90 cm square at the end (think of a very large coffin!)
Hippo deigned the bag to take a redundant bathroom suite, and is rated at 1.5 tonnes.

Here’s where the business model and I diverge slightly.

The idea is that you fill your bag, phone a call centre, arrange for it to be picked up, and they arrange for this to be done in five working days for a penny shy of £110.
If you’re using the full 1.5 ton capacity, that’s perfectly reasonable.

Except, I didn't need that.

I was doing some clearing in the garden and had a couple of cubic metres of prunings to sift – probably less than 50Kg, but big none the less.

I simply stuffed the greenery into the bag, tied over the straps, and managed to jam it into the back of the car, with the back seats down.

I’ve tried this at other times using conventional sacks, but even with boot liners, I usually end up with more rubbish in the car than the bags themselves, and spend more time clearing this up than actually chopping the bushes back!

With a bit of brute force and lubricated by extensive swearing I got the bag in the back of the car, transported to my local ‘civic amenity site’ (read “dump”) offloaded and back home with a minimum of fuss – I required the assistance of my ‘other half’ who usually contrives to find some excuse or other not to participate, but work it out we did.

The other reviews on Ciao seem to concur that on the whole, the complete Hipobag experience is worthwhile, my limited involvement (ie just doing the bag part) was entirely satisfactory.

Short of scrounging a couple of ‘pallet bags’ (and I’ve never managed to get one of these which weren’t torn to shreds) this is a most practical method of bagging up bulky waste.

Incidentally – having used my bag once I still have the option of doing it ‘properly’ by calling Hippo, but in the meantime I’ll be happy to use this as the mother of all boot-liners.

I just wonder how long it will take the to realise their ‘deposit’ is actually cheap enough only to use as a bag!

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 27/12/2015