Museum - Address: 1-2 Nakajimacho, Naka Ward, Hiroshima 730-0811

Review of "Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum, Hiroshima"

published 07/11/2016 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1912
We were travelling but now back so normal service resumed.Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro A very emotional experience
Cons A shame that it has to exist
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Hiroshima - Remembering the victims of the A-bomb"

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum

I hav3 visited some pretty horrifying places in my life and this is added to previous places such as the Kigali Genocide Memorial museum, The Killing Fields and Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penn and finally Austerlitz in Poland. I don’t visit these places to gawp at the horror, I go because I feel it is a sign of respect, a bit like Remembrance Day . I feel we should know about how these people suffered and if everyone saw this maybe it might never happen again or at least we can voice our objection and hope that those in positions of power can do something to stop it happening.

I don’t imagine that there is anyone who reads this who has not heard of Hiroshima and what happened there but my visit did teach me a lot and since my visit I have read a few more books about the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima and what happened before and after that to the people of that city.

I know many people of my parent’s generation still have a feeling of dislike for the Japanese people. I know my ex in law’s certainly did but as he fought the Japanese in Asia and she was a nurse in the army there. She lost two brothers, one in Changi and the other on the River Kwai and he is buried at Kanchanaburi so you can understand that. Having had a number of Japanese visitors over the years I have become intrigued by their culture and became very moved by the stories I read about while in Hiroshima and afterwards.

~~~~~~~~THINGS I LEARNED ABOUT THE BOMB THAT HIT HIROSHIMA ~~~~~~~

The actual bomb detonated in the air above the city and the actual Atomic Bomb Dome building is still there as it looked after the bomb detonated 2 ,000 above it and amazingly that is still standing despite being right at the centre of where the bomb exploded.

The number of people who died immediately as a result of the bomb in Hiroshima was 80,000 to 140,000 people and seriously injuring 100,000 more and then 3 days later in Nagasaki another 40,000 died. This was just the beginning though as so many more people died afterwards, even years later.

The initial deaths 30 % of the population were killed instantly by the blast itself and firestorm that followed.

Sadly the centre of the city was worst hit and that meant the hospitals and clinics and of course this meant r 90% of the doctors and 93% of the nurses were killed or injured so any injured ha no one to help them and no where to go.

Around ten years later the bomb was still killing people, leukemia was the main cancer that was the direct result of the radiation but there were others and around 1,900 cancer deaths followed the bomb.

Rather horrifyingly the Americans have spent a lot of time and money documenting and studying what happened as a result of the bomb. I am sure it is useful but they had all of that ready to go and that to me seems a bit clinical and cold.
They observed that the burst temperature was estimated to reach over a million degrees Celsius. The actual fireball was around 840 feet in diameter. This was seen over 5 miles away and it was brighter than the sun eye witnesses said.

The immediate blast wave shattered windows up to ten miles away and was felt as far away as 37 miles. About two thirds of the city’s buildings were destroyed.

Thirty minutes after the bomb exploded rain carrying radiation particles began to fall and caused damage even further from the bomb site.

~~~~~~~~~WHAT CAN YOU SEE THERE TODAY? ~~~~~~~~

The A-Bomb site has the original building untouched but fenced off. It is flood lit at night and has seats and trees and plants around. It is actually quite eerie and beautiful in that crumbling building kind of way. I think that leaving it untouched is more moving and tells us more than knocking it down and having some special memorial built there. You can imagine the horror that those who had to clear up after the bomb found around this area. Today it is A UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Walking further on you come to the Peace Park which has a large number of memorials from ,and dedicated to, different groups of people.. This whole area of 120,000 square meters which was the city centre. It was completely destroyed and the Japanese people decided that it would never be re built but would remain a site of Memorial to the victims of the bomb. There were two that I found most touching and upsetting.

The first was one dedicated to the young people who had come to Hiroshima to help clear the older buildings that were considered a fire risk. They had come from all over Japan. This monument had thousands of origami cranes and flags of many colours. It also listed all those who had died on the monument.

The other memorial that I felt very moved by was the Children’s peace monument. This had thousands of cranes in pictures all around it, in frames and in small covered areas. There were so many and so beautiful from children all around the world. On the top of the memorial was a young girl releasing or holding a giant origami crane.

The young girl is called Sadako Sasaki, who died of leukemia ten years after the atomic bombing which was when she was two years old. She inspired her school mates then the whole of Japan by her strength of will to survive. Believing that folding paper cranes would help her recover, she kept on folding them from every kind of paper and some were minute but sadly on October 25, 1955, eight-months after diagnosis, she died. I have since read the story of her life and how she inspired the children she knew to raise money for this memorial. Since then her story has inspired children around the world to see Peace as the way forward.

After walking through the park you come to the Cenotaph which is an arched tomb for those who died as a result of the bomb and under the arch is a stone chest in which there is a register of all those names, now around 220,000 of them. The arch stands at the end of a rectangular piece of water. At one end is the Peace Park and at the archway end the Museum. The cenotaph epitaph: "Rest in Peace, for the error shall not be repeated". The central stone room has a list of all the names of the victims of the A bomb both domestic and overseas victims.

The Peace Flame nearby is not only another memorial to the victims of the bomb but it has burned continuously since it was lit in 1964,. It will stay alight untill all nuclear weapons in the world are destroyed and the planet is free from the threat of nuclear annihilation.

The whole park is now very beautiful and yet it is somewhere you cannot help but be moved by. It is very peaceful and yet an emotional place that draws you in to the atmosphere there.

~~~~~~ THE HIROSHIMA PEACE MUSEUM ~~~~~~~

This is open from 8:30 a.m.-18:00 p.m. (March-November) and 8:30 a.m.-19:00 p.m. (August)8:30 a.m.-19:00 p.m. (December-February)
Prices are : Adults: 200 yen.

This was being upgraded when we were there so part was closed but there was still plenty to see, learn about and be humbled by. The museum is divided into east building and main building.

The East building was closed when we were there and it concentrates on the history of Hiroshima dealing with the A-bomb exposure period.

In the main building which we did experience the museum shows the devastation caused by the atomic bomb in detail. It takes you through Hiroshima just before the bomb exploded and then through the horror of the aftermath.

I honestly think that anyone who could walk through this museum and come out untouched must be less than human. It was one of those places that really hit home and left you feeling horrified, so grateful that this was not something you personally experienced and indeed anyone who even considers that nuclear weapons are an option should visit this place and they will certainly change their mind after seeing what happens.

We found Hiroshima a beautiful city and the people were so lovely. It is now called

There were photos, even films and interviews with survivors, models, artifacts left after the bomb and fire and so much more.

I think the most moving photo showed a group of victims walking after the bomb with clothes falling off them and looking as though they had walked through a fire which is what they had I suppose. The next photo showed the same people years later and what had happened to them and told of their story after the bomb. It made the photo real somehow and not just anonymous people.

I think the horror was so real. The river that flowed through Hiroshima was not even a safe place as it was boiling apparently and many jumped into the river and then met their deaths. I honestly cannot begin to comprehend what it must have been like and hopefully never will have to either.

~~~~~~~~~~ RECOMMENDED? ~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you go to Japan then I would say a visit to either Hiroshima or Nagasaki is important as it gives an insight into the horror or nuclear war. Hiroshima as a city is now a modern, beautiful city and looking at it today and then seeing the photos of the total destruction after the bomb it is amazing how the city has been rebuilt.

The Peace Park, memorials and the Peace Museum are very sensitively done. The Park is beautiful and a place that the Hiroshima people go to enjoy the peace as well as pay respects to the victims. The Peace Museum tells the story so well in photos, films, displays and models and you leave feeling truly emotionally shaken.

My husband and I were silent and sat outside for some minutes. I noticed several others in tears and our entire group were very quiet afterwards for some time.

Thanks for reading