Hits - Garth Brooks

Hits - Garth Brooks

1 CD(s) - Contemporary Country - Label: EMI - Distributor: EMI Operations/CEVA Logistics - Released: 12/1994 - 7243832081288

Review of "Hits - Garth Brooks"

published 16/08/2006 | little_red_hen
Member since : 21/10/2005
Sorry I'm taking so long to get back everyone, please don't forget me, my brain is only fit for facebook at the moment! ie. not firing on all cylinders! Will try to do better this year, Hope you are all keeping well, Karen x
Pro An excellent introduction to some modern day country songs
Cons If you don't like country music, you probably won't want this one!
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Cowboy Dreams & Country Themes"

Troyal Garth Brooks (born February 7, 1962 in Tulsa, Oklahoma) he is an American country music singer-songwriter. Well known for his stage performances, and bringing 'country' back into the foreground of the music world.

My first experience of Garth Brooks, was watching a concert on the TV, when he was at the height of his popularity in the USA. It was called Garth Brooks Too, and I was struck by the energy and enthusiasm he displayed in his performance on the stage, along with and the special effects that the concert contained. The words to one particular song (That Summer) remained lodged in my memory, and I thought that he definitely had the stage presence to make him very successful.

I bought several videos of his performances and got to know more of his work, he looks like a stocky cowboy, with his variety of western shirts, jeans and cowboy hat. The videos had lots of interviews with friends and family amongst the songs, and come across as a little bit over the top in praising him, but then we are talking the American way of doing things here......

The band 'Stillwater' (with his sister Betsy) feature on the videos but not necessarily on this CD. There seem to be many guest musicians that vary with each song. The guitars, drums, fiddles and percussion that accompany Garth give the music an energetic sound.

However I am reviewing The Hits CD and not Garth Brooks himself, so lets get on. This is a 20 Track CD so it will be a little longer than a standard review to enable me to mention all of the tracks. Apologies in advance to anyone wanting a quick read.

I bought this CD when it was released as a limited edition around December1994 in Woolworth, and it contains a good selection of his music leading up to the time of production, although he has released more albums since. It is apparently not widely available anymore however it can be obtained fairly easily on E Bay, Virgin, Amazon and other online sites from about £6.00 to over £24.00!

The running time is 73.49 minutes, and it is released on Liberty records. It was produced by Allen Reynolds.

TRACKS:

1. - AIN'T GOIN DOWN (TIL THE SUN COMES UP)

Written by: Kent Blazy, Garth Brooks, Kim Williams

A really energetic fast song about a rebelling daughter, (well I can relate to that!). Plenty of screaming harmonica, and an excellent good beat.

"Six o'clock on Friday evening, Momma doesn't know she's leaving,
Till she hears the screen door slamming, rubber squealin' gears a jamming"

2. - FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES

Written by: Dewayne Blackwell, Bud Lee

This is a song about going to a 'do' and meeting up with an ex who has a high opinion of herself, embarrassing her in front of the crowd she is with, and ruining her night by acting really badly, getting drunk, not wearing the right attire, and having a fun time at her expense! I love the fun in this song, the getting your own back on someone who had thought they had trodden you into the ground for good! This version does not have the added third verse that he performed at many of his concerts and on the videos produced of them. The tone of this song can be described as 'mocking'!

"Blame it all on my roots, I showed up in boots, and ruined your black tie affair
The last one to know, the last one to show, I was the last one you thought you'd see there
And I saw the surprise, and the fear in his eyes, when I took his glass of champagne
And I toasted you, said honey, we may be through, but you'll never hear me complain"

3. - BURNING BRIDGES

Written by: Garth Brooks, Stephanie Brown

"Burning bridges one by one, what I'm doing can't be undone,
And I'm always hoping someday, I'm gonna stop this running round,
But every time the chance comes up, another bridge goes down"

Self explanatory song about the risk of wrecking you own chances of happiness by running away when you feel you are getting too close to someone else.

4. - CALLIN' BATON ROUGE

Written by: Dennis Linde

Yeee Ha! I like the music to this as it has a fiddle playing 'hell for leather' that makes it a very lively song about wanting to see someone again when you have the sort of lifestyle that keeps you moving on the road.

"A replay of last night's events, roll through my mind
Except a scene or two, erased by sweet red wine"

5. - THE RIVER

Written by: Garth Brooks, Victoria Shaw

This is a ballad, and one that was played very often in concert. It is really giving the listener some sound advice.

"You know a dream is like a river, ever changing as it flows
And a dreamer's just a vessel, that must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you, and never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle, just to stay between the shores"

6. - MUCH TOO YOUNG (TO FEEL THIS DAMN OLD)

Written by: Garth Brooks, R. Taylor

This is one of Garth's earliest songs, and although it is good, it is not one of my favourites as he has produced better material since.

7. - THE THUNDER ROLLS

Written by: Pat Alger, Garth Brooks

This is one of his well known songs, at his concerts he adds another verse, but it was excluded from this CD as it describes the use of a gun in revenge. The music is very dramatic, and you can imagine the thunder rolls are not just the weather but the womans feelings too.

"She's waiting by the window, when he pulls into the drive
She rushes out to hold him, thankful he's alive
But on the wind and rain, a strange new perfume blows
And the lightning flashes in her eyes, and he knows that she knows
And the thunder rolls"

8. - AMERICAN HONKY - TONK BAR ASSOCIATION

Written by: Bryan Kennedy, Jim Rushing

Much guitar twanging, a jolly tune, joined in at times with the fiddle.

"It represents the mud flaps, six pack, beer crack, over-taxed, flag-wavin', fun-lovin' crowd
They're heart is in the music, and they love to play it loud
There's no forms or applications, there's no red tape administrations
It's the American Honky-Tonk Bar Association"

9. - IF TOMORROW NEVER COMES

Written by: Kent Blazy, Garth Brooks

This is another ballad, made popular more recently by Ronan Keating, it's a song about wondering if you have shown someone the way you feel, just in case you lose the chance to do so.

"If tomorrow never comes, will she know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day, that she's my only one
And if my time on earth were through, and she must face the world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past, gonna be enough to last, if tomorrow never comes"

10. - UNANSWERED PRAYERS

Written by: Pat Alger, Larry Bastian, Garth Brooks

This is a nice gentle song, about things working out in a different way to what you expected, how there are times you try to make a deal, promising anything if you can just have what you are wishing for, and in the long run things work out the way that is meant to be. I quite like the sentiments of this song.

"Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talking to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers"

11. - STANDING OUTSIDE THE FIRE

Written by: Garth Brooks, Jenny Yates

Well what side of the fire do you stand on, the outside or the inside? This is about risk, about living to the max. Coming from someone who seems to put themselves on a pedestal to some degree, telling people in interviews about his faith, and then having a long affair and leaving his wife, I find this song describes him fairly well!

"There's this love that is burning, deep in my soul, constantly yearning to get out of control
Wanting to fly higher and higher, I can't abide, standing outside the fire
Life is not tried, it is merely survived, If you're standing outside the fire"

12. - RODEO

Written by: Larry Bastian

Another fairly early track, and another one that I could leave out, although it is not bad, about losing your man to the Rodeo, I guess it's more like the football in England!

"Well, it's bulls and blood, it's dust and mud, it's the roar of a Sunday crowd
It's the white in his knuckles, the gold in the buckle, he'll win the next go 'round"

13. - WHAT SHE'S DOING NOW

Written by: Pat Alger, Garth Brooks

I like this thoughtful song, there are always times that you think back and wonder aren't there! A good well balanced ballad.

"Cause what she's doing now is tearing me apart, filling up my mind and emptying my heart
I can hear her call each time the cold wind blows, and I wonder if she knows what she's doing now"

14. - WE SHALL BE FREE

Written by: Garth Brooks, Stephanie Davis

This is more of an anthem, it is very good. If only life were more like this! Starting this song with the words "This ain't coming from a prophet, just an ordinary man" It has a bit of a gospel feel to it, especially with the backing vocals.

"When the last thing we notice is the colour of skin, and the first thing we look for is the beauty within
When the skies and the oceans are clean again, then we shall be free"

15. - PAPA LOVED MAMA

Written by: Garth Brooks, Kim Williams

A fast jolly tune, the story about parents who have a fairly volatile relationship! Fiddle, tapping drumsticks, and cymbals can be heard in this one!

"Mama was a looker, Lord, how she shined, Papa was a good'n but the jealous kind
Papa loved Mama, Mama loved men, Mama's in the graveyard, Papa's in the pen"

16. - SHAMELESS

Written by: Billy Joel

I like this song, I enjoy Billy Joel anyway, but it was this version that brought the song to my attention. A powerful rendition.

"You see in all my life I've never found, what I couldn't resist, what I couldn't turn down
I could walk away from anyone I ever knew, but I can't walk away from you"

17. - TWO OF A KIND, WORKIN' ON A FULL HOUSE

Written by: Bobby Boyd, Warren Haynes, Dennis Robbins

Another bouncy tune, a very country-ish feel to it! A bit corny to say the least!

"Yes, she's my lady luck, Hey, I'm her wild card man
Together we're building up a real hot hand
We live out in the country, Hey, she's my little queen of the South
Yea, we're two of a kind, Working on a full house"

18. - THAT SUMMER

Written by: Pat Alger, Garth Brooks, Sandy Mahl-Brooks

This is the song that I was hooked to after one listen, and the one that captured me enough to want to hear more. Written with his first wife before they separated in 1999, it is the story of a woman who has a fling with a young farm hand! As an additional bit of information the backing vocals are Trisha Yearwood with whom Brooks had an affair and later married!

"She had a need to feel the thunder, to chase the lightning from the sky
To watch a storm with all its wonder, written in her lover's eyes
She had to ride the heat of passion, like a comet burning bright
Rushing headlong in the wind, now where only dreams have been
Burning both ends of the night"

19. - THE RED STROKES

Written by: Garth Brooks, James Garver, Lisa Sanderson, Jenny Yates

I think the words to this are good, it's a classy tune about the components of love and how it can be expressed and shared.

"Moonlight on canvas, midnight and wine, two shadows starting to softly combine
The picture they're painting, is one of the heart
And to those who have seen it, it's a true work of art"

20. - THE DANCE

Written by: Tony Arata

This is another thought provoking ballad about looking back and being glad that we never know what is just around the corner, and taking what ever comes, good and bad, and just being thankful that we are alive.

"And now I'm glad I didn't know, the way it all would end the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance I could have missed the pain
But I'd of had to miss the dance"

FINAL QUOTE FROM GARTH BROOKS:

"Happiness isn't getting what you want, it is wanting what you've got"

WOULD I RECOMMEND THIS CD?

Yes definitely, as an entertaining and worthy listen, with 20 tracks full of good country sounds including some excellent ballads, although I still prefer to watch the videos and listen at the same time! The CD alone lacks that extra something that his live performances provide ie. The energy and spontaneity.

• JasonJRogers published 13/05/2010
    Well written review!
  • tayloa22 published 16/09/2007
    FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES Well i guess i was wrong, i just don't belong, but then i been there before, Everythings alright, i'll just say goodnight, and i'll show myself to the door Honey i didn't mean to cause a big scene, just wait until i finish this glass, Then sweet little lady, i'll head on back to the bar, and you can kiss my ass!
  • tayloa22 published 16/09/2007
    Garth Brooks has always been my favourite male solo artist along wioth Peter Cetera. I don't know if you are aware, but Thunder Rolls and Friends in Low places are two songs with alternate endings. THUNDER ROLLS She heads back through the doorway, through the bedroom door, Reaches for the pistol , kept in the dresser drawer, Tells the lady in the mirror, he won't do this again, Cause tonight will be the last time, she'll wonder where he's been. FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES